1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

US skaters skating for another country

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by ProgramerUSFS, Apr 24, 2011.

  1. ProgramerUSFS

    ProgramerUSFS Active Member

    We got into a discussion the other day about a male skater who is a US citizen, belongs to a US club, and is a member of USFSA, but skates internationally for another country. And I wanted to ask you experts because we don't know the answer.

    The question is, can this skater continue to skate for a different country, but attend Regionals, Sectionals, and US Nationals because he is a member in good standing? Some say yes he has that right while skating for another country overseas?

    Your thoughts?
  2. gkelly

    gkelly Well-Known Member

    http://usfigureskating.org/Content/2011 Rulebook.pdf

    See rule 3060/3061. As I understand it he has to get official permission to return to US qualifying competitions, meaning he can't do both in the same year.

    But check with headquarters or the chair of the competition committee to be sure.
  3. Aussie Willy

    Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

    My understanding is if he decides to skate for another country and gets a release from USFSA to do so, he gives up any right to skate under the USFSA system for the time he skates for that other country.
  4. Clarice

    Clarice Well-Known Member

    That's my understanding, too. But he's free to enter nonqualifying club competitions if he's still a member of US Figure Skating.