1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ugly Gymnastics

Discussion in 'The Summer Olympic Games 2016' started by Xela M, Aug 12, 2016.

1. slipchuk

slipchuk Active Member

Regardless of Natalia's scores Nadia didnt deserve any of her medals in Moscow, be it the AA silver, beam gold, or most laughably of all the floor gold for which she was roundly booed. Total reputation scoring. What is most comical if Bela Karolyi whining she was robbed of the AA gold while the rest of the world dies of laughter. Never change Bela.

2. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

I agree that Nadia was over-scored in Moscow but many gymnasts were. Shaposhnikova got 9.900 on her AA vault in spite of a slight form break in the pre-flight and a clear pike position in the air. She also missed her twisting one-arm handstand on BB and showed very shoddy form on her layout stepout yet still got a 9.900.

One gymnast I could never warm up to form that era was Emilia Eberle. She was always scored so well on UB but I honestly found her routine to be awkward and kind of unattractive to watch.

I'm not really a fan of Davydova but to her credit, she hit all of her routines during the Team and AA competition. And by the end, she was the last one standing after others faltered.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

Nadia was not over scored for that era in Moscow. She was very clean, which was paramount to scoring well, but lacked superior difficulty, which was not well rewarded.

If anything, the biggest criticism was that Nadia aged and grew in an era when it was thought that 18 was the upper age limit for elite gymnastics provided one could maintain a particular body type. Really, in Moscow, Nadia's gymnastics looked as dated as Tourischeva's gymnastics did in 1976 even with the upgrades, but it did mean Nadia did not deserve to score well.

The crowd in Moscow was hostile to Nadia because it was a Russian crowd that had every reason to prefer their own gymnasts.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  4. bardtoob

5. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I didn't know there was footage of the compulsories from Montreal. This is gold!

bardtoob likes this.
  6. tylersf

tylersf Active Member

How were the 1976 Olympics devastating to the Soviets? They still won team gold, vault and floor (Nellie Kim)? In addition, they still got 4 silvers (2-Tourischeva for vault and bars, 1 each from Korbut-beam and Kim-AA) and a bronze (Tourischeva- AA) .

7. slipchuk

slipchuk Active Member

Yeah I dont get that either. 2 medals in the AA and 3 of the top 5. Gold on 2 of the 4 event finals, and medals in all 4, and team gold. Devastating, not. Everyone knew they were likely not winning the AA this year and they werent going to sweep the event golds either, which they didnt usually do anyway even without Nadia. In 72 they also won only 2 of 4, and basically had all the same results minus getting the AA gold vs not getting it, and Janz was robbed and should have won it in 72 anyway.

8. bardtoob

I meant for Kim per what she said. When I have the time, I will pull up the footage of Kim telling her coach outside the arena, since only female coaches were allowed on the floor, that she was "over the Olympics" while he was trying to give her a pep talk.

ETA: The translated words were "I'm fed up with the Olympics."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8H82fCozVE&feature=youtu.be&t=570

Immediately after that, during a practice session, the commentator says that before the event finals the Russian coaches are concerned that the golds will go to other teams, and the pressure is on Kim to produce results.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Simone411 likes this.
  9. tylersf

tylersf Active Member

I've seen that footage. Kim was under a lot of pressure, and she produced 2 Golds on Vault and Floor!
    I have always liked Nellie Kim. She looked like she could have been a fun girl if she didn't live in the USSR at that time. How did she like living in the Twin Cities? Is she still there?

10. bardtoob

It should also be noted that it might have been devastating to the Soviets that they did not win MORE of the medals. Two gymnasts essentially came from nowhere and took 6 medals that would have otherwise been there's, even if they did not do badly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  11. bumblebeevich

bumblebeevich Active Member

I think the only Soviet who was dissapointed in 76 was Korbut. I think Kim was super thrilled with her Games, I am sure she would have liked to have won the AA but silver AA but 2 individual golds she wouldnt be upset about. It wasnt even clear she was already the top Soviet over Tourischeva and Korbut or not. Tourischeva would be a bit dissapointed, especialy to lose out on the floor gold again, but an AA medal and medalling above Commaneci on vault and floor was pretty good for that point in her career. She was a bit long in the tooth, her period as the dominant gymnast had already started to pass a good 2 years earlier. Korbut the Games was probably pretty devastating after being the star, even with her AA failure, in Munich. The silver on beam and team gold would be a nice consolation though, and she went out with her head high, and the crowds still roared for her.

I dont see how the Russians could practically view 76 as a failure. They did better than was expected if anything with the rises of people like Commaneci and Ungureanu, and a couple new East German or American up and comers too, and the newfound criticsm of their old school team. Some even speculated they would lose the Team Gold to Romania, or not get someone on the podium in the AA pre Games. The Games results were a relief if anything, especialy their rising star Kim doing so well when it was clear Tourischeva, Korbut, Saadi were all finished their careers after Montreal.

gk_891 likes this.
  12. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

Those were some pretty nice vaults. With that kind of power, I wonder if she was maybe capable of even better difficulty on floor.

13. bardtoob

Her tumbling on the floor in the 1976 Olympic Team Optionals absolutely floated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPGiPVQeOJo

I don't think she could have pulled off a piked double or a double layout, but I do think she could have pulled off a double twist and maybe a double tuck.

gk_891 likes this.
  14. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

I remember she did a double twist in Munich.

I love her floor routine from Montreal. But I loved Nelli's floor routine as well. I wish they could've tied for the gold medal in event finals.

15. bardtoob

Wow, I had not considered that her difficulty might have been more difficult in a previous Olympics. I looked back and saw the Double Twist in 1972. Surprising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irUtSNkIcL4

I guess she did the Double Twist until 1975. The first pass in her 1975 World Cup AA FX, which includes the Double Twist, has remarkable power for that era!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjqdsQ5zzRs

IMO she actually resembles Boginskaya in the final pass of her 1988 Olympic AA FX.

https://youtu.be/mRYNokQIwK4?t=93

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    gk_891 likes this.
  16. bumblebeevich

bumblebeevich Active Member

I would have liked to see Ludmila tie for gold on floor in 76, especialy since she was definitely robbed to Olga who got gifted golds on both beam and floor in response to her AA heartbreak and the UB controversy in 72.

skateboy likes this.
  17. bardtoob

Can you expound? I don't know this story?

18. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

I remember being surprised at how Olga won the floor gold in 1972 as floor is not her strongest event by a long shot. But I do recall Ludmilla having a slightly awkward landing on her double twist in event finals. Whether or not she still deserved to win in spite of that is something I can't recall very well.

hertmirsh likes this.
  19. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Reformed Manspreader

20. bardtoob

A lovely under rotation, albeit in fact an under rotation.

21. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I guess I didn't remember correctly. For some reason I thought she landed her double twist awkwardly. Guess not.

Her timing at the end of the routine also looked a little off. It seems like she finished ahead of the music (relative to her performance in the AA).

22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That accompanist sure liked her eye shadow. I thought Tourischeva's hair styling was pretty bad in 1972. She was twenty and looked 30. The tails needed to go.