U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allskate

Nathan seemed very matter of fact, as usual, in his interview. He made it clear that he understood the added risk he was taking, was prepared to follow Hanyu, and doesn't have the components scores.

I think that the Nathan hype is good for American casual interest in skating. I've had friends who have never mentioned skating before mention Nathan. (They've mentioned Karen Chen, too, but that may be be partly because these friends are Asian-Americans in the Bay Area). So, the hype might put more pressure on Nathan, but I think it's good for American skating. For all sorts of reasons, I wish NBC had put the men on broadcast tv tonight, not the women.

Pretty Vegas

@Frida80 On NBC they said he brought two extra pairs of skates with him. One wonders why he didn't try to use one of those pairs for the FS? Hopefully not all three pairs were that bad.

They weren't broken in I don't think - Phil Hersh has an article up on IN about this. He had them in the hotel and not with him at the event today. I wonder if he would have switched had they been there, I think he may have since it was mentioned.

Frida80

@Frida80 On NBC they said he brought two extra pairs of skates with him. One wonders why he didn't try to use one of those pairs for the FS? Hopefully not all three pairs were that bad.
They weren't broken in. Plus they needed to be mounted. All of that take more ice time, which he really didn't have. Last week, Jackson make it seem they would repair the problem which is preferable to losing a week of practice. But they didn't and thus Nathan lost his chance to break in a new pair. Just a mess.

Skateparent

Nathan can think fast on his feet, that's for sure. I'm amazed he pulled off what he did. Hopefully USFS isn't too disappointed with him.

Agree - and they shouldn't be. He did amazing as a first timer and a 17-year old. Especially considering him skating right after Yuzu who pulled off a season best (didn't he skate right after Yuzu at GPF? I couldn't help but wondering if he would have done better if he didn't skate right after Yuzu. What a distraction that can be!)

Frida80

Nathan seemed very matter of fact, as usual, in his interview. He made it clear that he understood the added risk he was taking, was prepared to follow Hanyu, and doesn't have the components scores.

I think that the Nathan hype is good for American casual interest in skating. I've had friends who have never mentioned skating before mention Nathan. (They've mentioned Karen Chen, too, but that may be be partly because these friends are Asian-Americans in the Bay Area). So, the hype might put more pressure on Nathan, but I think it's good for American skating. For all sorts of reasons, I wish NBC had put the men on broadcast tv tonight, not the women.

They probably would've have if Nathan had medalled. But NBC is cutthroat. Remember their non-exstitant men's gymnastics coverage all because US men weren't getting a medal?

Pretty Vegas

Agree - and they shouldn't be. He did amazing as a first timer and a 17-year old. Especially considering him skating right after Yuzu who pulled off a season best (didn't he skate right after Yuzu at GPF? I couldn't help but wondering if he would have done better if he didn't skate right after Yuzu. What a distraction that can be!)

Not after GPF - Hanyu skated directly after him but he did skate after Hanyu at NHK AND 4cc's.

Frida80

Each competition he's skated with Yuzuru, he always skates after him during the free. I hope that isn't a habit that continues.

Allskate

They probably would've have if Nathan had medalled. But NBC is cutthroat. Remember their non-exstitant men's gymnastics coverage all because US men weren't getting a medal?

Nah. They already has scheduled the women for the evening NBC broadcast. They just think that American audiences care only about the "ladies." Our great American ice dancers can't get any love from NBC even though they've been doing better than the singles skaters in the last few years.

Allskate

Hopefully USFS isn't too disappointed with him.

I can't imagine they are disappointed. Nathan landed six quads this week. The American men probably haven't cumulatively landed six quads at Worlds if you take the last four years combined.

According to Johnny they are showing the men tonight.

Really? Wow. Good call to make that change. I guess I won't get to see the women on my tv screen, but I'm okay with that.

jiejie

I was one of those Nathan fans that never expected him to medal at this particular Worlds. I thought the podium would be some combination of Hanyu, Fernandez, Uno (probably in that order) with #4-6 between Chan, Jin, and Chen. So he ended up where I expected and IMO gave a very good accounting of himself even with the mistakes and clearly not yet in the artistic league of the top men. He's the only Worlds rookie among the top 12 men, and I figured that some first-year nerves would kick in and throw him off a bit. I hope he counts this experience as mostly a personal success and a great learning experience.

Not wanting to forget about Jason, major props for working his beautiful programs to the utmost and keeping himself in a highly respectable position despite lack of quads. USFSA got the mens' assignments of Nathan + Jason correct for this competition.

becca

I was one of those Nathan fans that never expected him to medal at this particular Worlds. I thought the podium would be some combination of Hanyu, Fernandez, Uno (probably in that order) with #4-6 between Chan, Jin, and Chen. So he ended up where I expected and IMO gave a very good accounting of himself even with the mistakes and clearly not yet in the artistic league of the top men. He's the only Worlds rookie among the top 12 men, and I figured that some first-year nerves would kick in and throw him off a bit. I hope he counts this experience as mostly a personal success and a great learning experience.

Not wanting to forget about Jason, major props for working his beautiful programs to the utmost and keeping himself in a highly respectable position despite lack of quads. USFSA got the mens' assignments of Nathan + Jason correct for this competition.

We don't know that they got the assignments correct. For all we know Vincent could have finished higher.

Fiero425

I'm betting it had a lot to do with the feel of the boot; seriously needs to be worked and made to feel like a 2nd skin! I'm surprised these dramas don't happen more often! :rolleyes: :duh: :violin:

jiejie

Absolutely no way would Vincent have finished higher than Nathan or Jason. Of that I am 1000% sure. Vincent's quads are not yet as solid as Chen's, and he would have been buried in PCS in both SP and FS relative to the competition. Vincent will be far better off starting his first full Senior Season with the strong juju and street credibility with judges, that comes from being the reigning Junior World Champion.

Jammers

People seemed to forget that this experience of Nathan skating against the best of the best should have happened last year but he didn't get the chance. This will be a learning experience. He knows what he needs to work on and expecting him to medal against this field was expecting a lot. Next season he will know how to pace himself better he was in such a hurry to make a name for himself that i think he burnt himself out with all the focus on the quads. Hopefully he will now get to work on the 3axel and maybe not as much on the quads. If Adam can improve his axel which was awful so can Nathan.

Last edited:

Fiero425

People seemed to forget that this experience of Nathan skating against the best of the best should have happened last year but he didn't get the chance. This will be a learning experience. He knows what he needs to work on and expecting him to medal against this field was expecting a lot. Next season he will know how to pace himself better he was in such a hurry to make a name for himself that i think he burnt himself out with all the focus on the quads. Hopefully he will now get to work on the 3axel and maybe not as much on the quads. If Adam can improve his axel which was awful so can Nathan.

I thought it insane to go in there with an expectation of doing 6 quads! That was ridiculous and he had to be looking for failure! No wonder his skates were a mess; between practice and the actual performances, those puppies took a beating! :wall: :duh: :kickass:

barbk

I'm hoping that Nathan does a Kwan from '95 to '96 and develops more of the skating/choreography. He's got the jumps, but the in-betweens are throwaways in the LP, both here and at 4CC. That's not so true in the SP, but it just made him look even less mature than Hanyu or Chan here. He's got a great head. I hope he stays healthy and has a productive summer and fall.

Frida80

I'm hoping that Nathan does a Kwan from '95 to '96 and develops more of the skating/choreography. He's got the jumps, but the in-betweens are throwaways in the LP, both here and at 4CC. That's not so true in the SP, but it just made him look even less mature than Hanyu or Chan here. He's got a great head. I hope he stays healthy and has a productive summer and fall.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Over the summer, now that he's mastered during the more advanced quads he can work on putting more transitions and choreography. Before JW I looked at Marin's short program by Marina last year and then her short by Marina this year. She's far more fluid and graceful than before. I'm hoping after another summer in Michigan, Nathan can find his own inner Kwan.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
To anyone who was trying to put Vincent on that World team and claiming experience doesn't matter - were you watching last night as Jason soared and Chen crumbled?

Experience absolutely matters. Two Worlds rookies was a recipe for disaster. A rookie and a veteran gets the three spots back. You're welcome.

Agent 355

He was nervous, but I think it was moreso his boots broke down during warmup. He fell on the 1st lutz because his boot collapsed. That's why he did that weird jig when he got up:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mpaign=usatodaycomolympicscoverage-topstories

I read somewhere that he apologized for his performance. I hope he doesn't beat himself up over it too much. He's had a really good season, and considering the boot issues, he still tried and did well all things considered. I hope he comes back stronger next season and with superior programs.

Pretty Vegas

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly say he crumbled. The fact that he rotated all six quads while probably worrying about whether the boot was going to give out is pretty remarkable. I would expect a lot of skaters to start doubling or singling things, I know I wouldn't want to risk it..

Either way, he did remark that he didn't have the component marks to really contend with the mistakes. Hopefully that's another wake up call to him as well. I really loved his short program this year and thought he performed it well. He needs two programs like that.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
To anyone who was trying to put Vincent on that World team and claiming experience doesn't matter - were you watching last night as Jason soared and Chen crumbled?

Nathan did not crumble. If you've not read, he's been having problems with his boots, and one collapsed on the lutz.

He still scored 110 TES even with those problems. That's something that NO other American man would be capable of doing.

mtnskater

That really sucks that Nathan's equipment failed him at Worlds. I thought all skaters came to the big events with two broken in pairs of boots. I was surprised he did not. Also surprised his coach didn't make sure of that. Also sucks that Jackson boots felt they could shore them up last week rather than Nathan breaking in a new pair. Hindsight is always 20/20. Nathan just had a tough lesson. That said, I give him props for helping U.S. men get their three spots. He seems to be improving year by year in leaps and bounds. I'm very excited about what we will see from him next year!

Allskate

I didn't see Nathan "crumble." I did see that he finished ahead of Jason. ;) Nathan did remarkably well under the circumstances. You don't need to misrepresent Nathan's performance to argue that Jason was the right choice over Vincent. I happen to think that Jason was the right choice. However, I totally disagree with your criticism and characterization of Nathan's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information