1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

U.S. Men 2016-17 season: articles & latest news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Oh dear, hoping he's better soon. I see Alex all the time coaching, but I never see Jimmy.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

How was Zhou injured? Apparently, he's over it! Wow!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Still recovering from Worlds...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Now that Joshua Farris has retired, USFS needs to keep that bubble wrap that they keep him in for Nathan and Vincent. Or better yet, get new ones, since the old wrap didn't work for Josh. :(

Josh78 likes this.
  5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

So sad to see the depth that the US Men had just a couple years ago disappear because of injuries and retirement. Jason was out last year as was Josh who is now retired and Jeremy took last season off too and Richard Dornbush is either coming back next season or he's done too . Now Jason and Max are the only ones still around from 2015. Hopefully the new kids will help build up the depth again in the next couple years.

6. Sylvia

Re-posting Adam Rippon's message (in 3 parts) about his injury withdrawal today from Nationals: https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/818531521615118336
    His left foot incurred an ankle sprain and a fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone this past Friday while he was warming up off ice and he is "expected to be off the ice for the next 8-12 weeks."

Link to separate GSD news thread: Adam Rippon out of U.S. Figure Skating Championships

ETA link to IN's article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/01/09/213153576
    Excerpt:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Josh78 likes this.
  7. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

With Adam out, Nathan and Jason should easily cruise to top two and make the team. Fingers crossed. That's really the only combination that has a shot at regaining a 3rd spot.

Jaana and Firedancer like this.
  8. misskarne

misskarne #AustraliaForTheTeamEvent

Yeah, well, like it or not, there's a matador/Lion King who is going to have an awful lot to say about that.

pinky166, Kecasyl, emason and 2 others like this.
  9. jlai

jlai Title-less

Is there a curse at the reigning champ? This is the second year the reigning champ got injured (eta ), withdrew, and couldn't defend the title.

eta: Clarifying what I meant.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    StitchMonkey likes this.
  10. Dobre

Dobre Well-Known Member

Clearly injury isn't reserved for the reigning champion. What U.S. man has not dealt with an injury over the past three years? (Vincent, Andrew, Nathan, Max, Ross, Ricky, Jason, Josh, Adam).

I am very sorry to hear that Adam won't be at Nationals. And very glad I had the chance to see his long program at Skate America.

aftershocks and clairecloutier like this.
  11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Figure skating curses apply only to Canadian men who win World Championships. :COP:

Lara, made_in_canada and kwanfan1818 like this.
  12. olympic

It will depend on Max nailing his quads and whether Jason lands the 4T or not.

13. Sylvia

http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk
    • Ep. 14: Max Aaron/Michael Weiss
      Three-time U.S. champion and icenetwork broadcaster Michael Weiss joins host Jackie Wong to break down the men's competition at the 2017 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Then, one of the competitors in that event, Max Aaron, talks to Jackie about some of the most memorable programs he's skated and training the quad axel.
    Direct link to listen: http://dds.mlb.com/icenetwork/2017/ep14/icetalk14_v2.mp3

Zakrajsek shared this footwork clip of Aaron's new "bullfighter" SP: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPH1p-Cg34m/?taken-by=coachtomz

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. Sylvia

OrioleBeagle likes this.
  15. misskarne

Oof. Right in the feels during the costume discussion. Not even just a little bit in the feels, but right in the feels.

It's looking so great!!!!!!!

16. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That music suits Max so well. I can't wait to see the whole program.

misskarne likes this.
  17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the prospect of trying to maintain depth or getting back to similar remarkable depth among U.S. men is of no benefit to talented skaters who have to struggle so hard every year while facing diminishing returns. IOW, the risks vs rewards comes up way short for many, many figure skaters on the rewards side.

What with the quad revol spectre hanging over the possibility of ever reaching the international podium on the men's side, I can only see more figure skating athletes peeling off before making it to seniors, and/ or just pursuing other sports to begin with where better opportunities to develop and to be competitive at the top might be more viable. Also, the expense and physical risks involved in trying to navigate an eligible fs career increasingly present insurmountable obstacles that block progress.

At this juncture, U.S. figure skating should be looking more into athlete development and multiple competitive opportunities locally and nationally in the realm of jumping contests, artistic contests, and all-around contests. The current ISU competitive structure is severely limiting and restrictive to athlete development. Plus, those who do make it to the top have nowhere to go once their time to pursue Olympics and stardom runs out and they are facing retirement. Heck, even the stars have nowhere to go and so want to come back endlessly to the eligible arena.

Clearly, we need a serious look at restructuring the sport for a variety of opportunities either recreationally, locally competitive, or eligibly competitive with different viable competitive development track opportunities, or it just seems the sport is no longer worth it. Above all, please put together a viable professional tour so accomplished skaters who wish to continue to compete and to develop as skaters will have more options! :duh:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Skateparent and Josh78 like this.
  18. just tuned in

just tuned in Well-Known Member

It is meh for me. I think the idea of matador is a great one for Max, but this music is kind of whiney and hokey, almost cartoonish.

19. misskarne

Tom Z is absolutely spoiling the Max fans. Another clip, this time of the 4T

Max was in the live video on the Team USA Facebook page (modelling an assortment of gear for a photoshoot), and during the video revealed that the SP costume is "unique" and "has blue on it".

20. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I love how Max's skating looks (and it's been a long time since I felt this way, so yay) but I agree about the music. He looks better WITHOUT it. But hey, I'm excited for him. The *movement* fits him better than the swan!

just tuned in likes this.
  21. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

That 4T looks a lot better than his 4S usually does, although he's still pretty far forward on the take-off, which leads to problems if the jump is off. I like the idea of a blue matador costume - too many skaters do the black, gold, and red look. While the footwork choreography looks good, the edges are so shallow, and there's almost no coverage of the sides of the ice - just down the middle except for that one deliberate side-to-side section. Basically, I think it's more of the same from Max: good jumps with sketchy technique paired with poor everything else (although that everything else is improving very, very slowly).

22. misskarne

:rolleyes:

23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I checked out the IceTalk episode 14 broadcast where Max is interviewed by Jackie Wong. :D I could not keep the smile off of my face while listening to Max. He's so positive, upbeat, genuine and no-nonsense in his approach. He's definitely another mensch! When Max was talking about his affinity for wanting to express balletic movement style, and explaining how he decided to design his own costumes because he didn't like his designers taking flak and feeling hurt by fan criticims, it touched my heartstrings. I just wanted to hug Max! Not out of sympathy, but because he's so cool and so sweet, right along with being tough, as he said. What a great character and sportsman he is. :cheer2:

IMO, Max's new sp music is fine. We only saw a brief clip in which the musical theme was extended, and it begs for pay-off of that theme, which probably comes at some point that we don't get to hear as yet. But I don't find anything cartoonish about the music. The movement style is definitely very fitting for Max. The music choice and choreo appear to enhance Max's strengths. It's nice hearing how confident Max feels going into U.S. Nationals.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    misskarne likes this.
  24. olympic

The lack of depth is not just due to retirement and injury. I think it is partly due to Max, Jason, Adam (who unfortunately will not be at Nationals) and Nathan moving ahead of the pack which eliminates that cluster of men that has existed for years. In Nathan's case, he's shot ahead of the pack. Josh, Jeremy and Ricky are done, and Adam's absence is notable, but it's not because the ranks of US men are decimated.

As a footnote, Ross had an awesome send-off skate in Boston and may be in a position to matter again at the top levels of US men's figure skating. I would put his skating skills in the same league as Jason or Adam (IF he is on).

25. Sylvia

Allskate, Tavi and feraina like this.
  26. MrMystery

MrMystery Active Member

Interesting and unfortunate for Jason. Ice is slippery and anything can happen, but I think with this development, and the likelihood we wont see a quad from him, almost solidifies that we'll see him fighting for second as a best case. I'm imagining Nathan, Max, Jason going 1, 2, 3, and in that order.

skateboy likes this.
  27. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Well-Known Member

I'd been wondering when we would hear some News from his camp, seeing as he has been getting around in a walking boot.

Meanwhile, Vincent's quads are looking good.

Spun Silver likes this.
  28. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

Oh no! This does not bode well for Jason at Nationals. :( nor for team USA.

clairecloutier and Dobre like this.
  29. Tavi

Tavi Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting but OMG poor Jason. I guess we now know why he struggled at NHK. It sounds like he intends to try to compete at Nats. I hope he's able to and that we see something close to Skate America Jason even if without a quad.

30. Tavi

Tavi Well-Known Member

Jason's been in a walking boot?