Status
Not open for further replies.

SkateFanBerlin

Hmmmm.....my girl Ashley. ESPN Body issue and promo, OK. No skate footage but a promo for Rocker's film on her LP. Is she increasing her public profile? Staging her post-Oly carreer? Wants to do DWTS? Usurp married-lady Tara as commentatrix? Something is up.....

StitchMonkey

Hmmmm.....my girl Ashley. ESPN Body issue and promo, OK. No skate footage but a promo for Rocker's film on her LP. Is she increasing her public profile? Staging her post-Oly carreer? Wants to do DWTS? Usurp married-lady Tara as commentatrix? Something is up.....

I for one would be much happier with Adam and Ashley over Tara and Johnny. I know not all like Ashley and Adam, but i do think they would say constructive things in their commentary and I don't see them being as catty. They both seem pretty warm with their competitors so I think they would be great.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Since Playboy was mentioned, this month's Playmate is Dana Taylor, a model who skated competitively for 11 years and who still skates. She posted an on-ice photo of herself as a teen in her data page.

SkateFanBerlin

Can't find the Mirai thread. Didn't realize she dropped the Chopin - the ONE program that the judges like, that she scores well on, that fits her rather somber skating style. Med's team recognizes what a powerful vehicle that piece can be. I'd like to say it's more bad advice of Tom Z. but she's a grown woman......

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Can't find the Mirai thread. Didn't realize she dropped the Chopin - the ONE program that the judges like, that she scores well on, that fits her rather somber skating style. Med's team recognizes what a powerful vehicle that piece can be. I'd like to say it's more bad advice of Tom Z. but she's a grown woman......
Where are you getting this information from? Nothing is confirmed?

SkateFanBerlin

Where are you getting this information from? Nothing is confirmed?
Sylvia posted on the choreography thread. In latest statement Mirai said nothing decided. But, now Med's moved in. I think it's too late. I don't think she could stand up psychologically to Med. It's too bad; it was such a great vehicle for Mirai.

Frida80

Sylvia posted on the choreography thread. In latest statement Mirai said nothing decided. But, now Med's moved in. I think it's too late. I don't think she could stand up psychologically to Med. It's too bad; it was such a great vehicle for Mirai.

The worst part is both her GP events are with Med. No matter what, Mirai will seem like the weaker version. This will put too much pressure on her. She's going to have to change it.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Too much pressure? Weaker version? Stand up psychologically? Its not like Mirai is going to be rinkside watching Med skate her program right before her every time. Maybe once all season, if that. I think these are highly overdramatized portrayals. Maybe Mirai just wanted something different, who knows...

Frida80

Too much pressure? Weaker version? Stand up psychologically? Its not like Mirai is going to be rinkside watching Med skate her program right before her every time. Maybe once all season, if that. I think these are highly overdramatized portrayals. Maybe Mirai just wanted something different, who knows...

I do adore Mirai. But everyone knows she's a nervous competitor. Pressure gets to her.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Mirai is comfortable with the program and isn't playing defense like in football. A great competitor wouldn't give two sh!ts what Medvedeva is skating to, wouldn't run from the challenge, and would use it as an opportunity to get closer to Janny in the standings. Averbukh/Eteri chose the program music after Mirai already announced her intentions to keep it. So it's all on him (not on Janny, she makes barely any of the artistic decisions in her camp and Eteri always reminds us of that in interviews). She could bring qualities to the music that Evgenia can't, she obviously won't outscore her, but it could force the judges to pay attention to Mirai's positive qualities when she does skate well. (Which can mean higher PCS than if she used different music... if it's comparable to Janny and in a similar league.)

If she backs out of her decision, she won't have the same comfort level and is already kind of backing out of her game-plan. She should turn it into a positive, I hope that she keeps it. It could be a good thing if she actually starts nailing the program in competition, its well choreographed and shows off what makes her a great skater.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sylvia posted on the choreography thread. In latest statement Mirai said nothing decided.
This was the Nagasu interview, published on May 22nd, in which she said she was planning to keep her Chopin SP and get a new FS choreographed by Jeff Buttle: http://figureskatersonline.com/news...thing-in-my-power-to-make-it-a-strong-season/

I cross-posted this link to IFS' Aerial Challenge/Broadmoor Open article in both the Aerial Challenge and Programs/Choreographers threads in GSD (includes quotes from Wang, Hicks and Nagasu): https://www.ifsmagazine.com/aerial-challenge-twist/

Here's the relevant Nagasu excerpt:
She has not settled on any specific pieces of music for either program this season, but is planning on going with a more classical style for the Olympic season. Her main focus thus far has been refining her technical elements. “I feel like we are just tweaking things and getting things in order so that I am well prepared for this upcoming season,” Nagasu said.
After the disappointment of not making the U.S. Olympic team in 2014, her approach to the 2018 Olympic season is very different Nagasu said. “I know that if I focus only on the Olympics, things will not work out well for me. I plan on treating this season kind of like an extended job interview. Last Olympic cycle I think that I just put everything into nationals. Since then, I have learned that you have to be a strong competitor throughout the season and put together a strong portfolio of competitions and performances.”
Nagasu is scheduled to start her season at Skate Detroit again this year, so we will find out what her program music is in about 2 weeks.

Angela Wang has kept her last season's "Over the Rainbow" SP choreographed by Phillip Mills and her new FS is choreographed by Tanith White (with a little help from Charlie?) - photo of the 3 of them from late May: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUkuUWCjRhg/?taken-by=angelawangster

Hicks confirms her FS is to "Amazing Grace" -- these links were posted on June 13th:
Courtney Hicks posted on Instagram that she is keeping her 2 choreographers -- Rohene Ward (SP: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUNJcb5h0SX/ ) and Jonathan Cassar (FS: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRw9UR_B0HD/ ) - "Amazing Grace" is playing in this recent practice clip that includes spread eagles (a la Cassar) and her split single flip: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVLF3ToBKkq/

Spun Silver

I'm in total agreement with that! :)
From reading her interview on ESPN, I think learning all that choreo week after week would be a tremendous problem for her (due to post-concussion memory struggles), but she certainly likes a challenge, so maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information