U.S. Ice Dance 2016/17 season - news & updates

leigh466

The Shibs had a level 4 step sequence at 4CCs. (The great separator. Very few level 4s were handed out to any teams on the steps this season. The Shibs had one in the SD at the GPF as well. Those are their SB scores in each dance for the season). That's @ 1.5 points base value, but with added GOE about 3 points. Then a point for the length of the lift deduction. The rest of the difference looks like GOE on the other step sequence.

Thank you! Very informative.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Do you think W/P will choose SC? They didn't this year. I would think they wouldn't want to go up against V/M or G/P until their Nats.

They might; we'll have to wait and see. That's why I said SC "may be the hardest", not "will be." This is speculation, but it's pretty clear that W/P are not going to get COR because Russia will take Bobrova/Soloviev out of the 4-6 group. IMO, W/P would be unlikely to beat Shibs at SA or P/C in France. COC and NHK are both neutral sites, but what are the odds that W/P get both of those competitions. Skate Canada or W/P's team might decide they want W/P to compete for an "easyish" silver at home.

J

Jeschke

Daniel Eaton is back on icepartnersearch.
If this was already posted, sorry, must have missed that.

Marta24

Maybe MacKenzie Bent could be an option for him? She is talented and had a lot of bad luck with her partners.

Bellanca

The Shibs are the only American dance team that will be seeded next season. :fragile: Both Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue are going to be at the mercy of the draw next season. This makes the two non-Shibutanis spots at Skate America very interesting. Does USFS send either Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue with the purpose of having them contend with Shibs and see who comes out on top? Do they send either C/B or H/D to have them squashed by the Shibs to signal that Shibs are the definitive U.S. #1? Do they send two of the younger teams like Hawayek/Baker, Pogrebinsky/Benoit, Parsons/Parsons, or McNamara/Carpenter to give the Shibs an easier path to the top and let Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue try to earn GP qualification in away events?
Hell yes!! :p :D

greenapple

Maybe MacKenzie Bent could be an option for him? She is talented and had a lot of bad luck with her partners.

Mackenzie Bent did not have any bad luck with her last partner. She quit skating because she did not want to do it anymore. It had nothing to do with anyone other than her.

Turbo-Mom

Daniel received a medical release to return to training several weeks ago. If Daniel decided to skate for Canada I believe Skate Canada would need to request a release from USFSA before he could compete for Canada instead of for Team USA
I think it is an issue that gets resolved between federations.

princeton123

Mackenzie Bent did not have any bad luck with her last partner. She quit skating because she did not want to do it anymore. It had nothing to do with anyone other than her.

Eh, Dmitre was visibly worse than her though. And I hear she is/was trying out with someone else now.

Josh78

I'll really miss Anastasia and Colin out there -- they really started to hit their stride their last couple of seasons as a team -- that Beethoven FD was special (and not given enough credit by the judges, either domestically or internationally, if you ask me)

Sylvia

TBD

Dobre

Jeffrey Chen, 14, is newly listed on IPS and lists his new coaches in Canton, MI as Marina Zoueva and Tim McKernan (McKernan returned to international competition this season, now representing Australia). Chen wants to compete at the Novice level.

He appears to have taken his profile off IPS. He was a standout in intermediates, IMO. I'd imagine he found someone, but we'll see.

VGThuy

Such a talented family. Karen Chen, I believe, has the potential to give us some real artistic statements in the upcoming years. She seems to have a real artistic sensibility. I hope her brother is similar in that regard.

Dobre

I hope her brother is similar in that regard.

He's not Karen, but he has nice line and promising partnering skills, I think.

Karnes & Chen's most recent FD is at the 58 minute mark on the "2017 U.S. Champs Intermediate Free Dance" video on Ice Network:
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1219848583/?query=2017+U.S.+Champs+intermediate+free+dance
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1219848583/?query=2017+U.S.+Champs+intermediate+free+dance
I'd recommend watching the whole field; however. These are young teams. It's much easier to appreciate the top teams' strengths when you see them back-to-back with other teams at the same competitive level. (The lift at the end of this program, for example, really stood out from the rest of the field among the intermediates).

If you just want to see a cute, blurry program with Karen & her brother from four years ago, I ran across this while I was searching--fruitlessly--for Karnes & Chen's FD on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NygXt-4loII

VGThuy

That "Anything You Can Do" routine with Karen and Jeffrey was so cute and full of personality. Reminds of Alex and Maia's routine to that except with a lot more single skater elements.

Dobre

Layla Karnes's bio on Ice Partner Search was just removed also. Maybe they will skate together after all. Again, we'll see.

Dobre

Do we anticipate an entry list for the Chesapeake Open? (June 21-24)

For anyone who wants to hunt through about a thousand coaches' names (there are some serious blasts from the past on this list):
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=293

Avonley Nguyen is listed as one of Shpilband's entries for the Junior FD. The only other name on his list that isn't in a team I recognize is Vadym Kolesnik. Is this her new partner?

chameleonster

For anyone who wants to hunt through about a thousand coaches' names (there are some serious blasts from the past on this list):
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=293

Avonley Nguyen is listed as one of Shpilband's entries for the Junior FD. The only other name on his list that isn't in a team I recognize is Vadym Kolesnik. Is this her new partner?
I believe so, yes. He used to skate for Ukraine with Zlata Iefymenko as a novice.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QE3MZeM5V70

Sylvia

TBD
Yes, as soon as the groups are published online (soon), we should start a new U.S. Dance thread for the 2017-18 season. I've compiled a partial list that includes a few new Junior teams, in addition to the already known Isabella Amoia/Luca Becker (WISA), Nguyen/Kolesnik mentioned above, Allie Rose/JT Michel, Daria Popova/Cameron Colucci (I believe this is the UKR Daria: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054602.htm ) and Nicolette Fey/Caleb Niva.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information