1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by rosewood, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Madhatter

Madhatter Well-Known Member

Is Shoma attending both, Asian Winter Games and 4CCs? Don't the Games skating competitions start like 2 days after the 4CCs?

ETA: I looked it up, and 4CCs gala is on the 19th whereas Men's SP at the Games on on the 24th. Still, cutting it really close. I guess Shoma will go from Pyeongchang straight onto Sapporo ice.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Deleted post

3. kittyjake5

Shoma is scheduled to attend both competitions. All of the first place finishers at JN are scheduled for both.

4. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

JSOI is ongoing this weekend. Shoma's skating his SP in it. According to twitter users' reports he's making 4Lo trials. So far, a pop on Friday, a fall in the first show on Saturday, and he finally landed it in the second show on Saturday. He has one more show on Sunday.

Here is a clip of his 4Lo trial (a fall in the first show on Saturday).
    (from 1:35) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58iko8_soi-the-legends-豪華スター共演_sport

fai and kittyjake5 like this.
  5. rosewood

cris, fai, skateboy and 2 others like this.
  6. kittyjake5

rosewood likes this.
  7. rosewood

Found glimpses from today's morning official practice at 4CC:
    4Lo
    2A-4T

ETA:
    According to twitter reports he also attempted a 3A-4T(fall).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    kittyjake5, fai and Sylvia like this.
  8. kittyjake5

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    rosewood, skateboy and fai like this.
  9. rosewood

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

11. rosewood

12. rosewood

13. justtojoke

justtojoke Well-Known Member

fai and rosewood like this.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

rosewood and fai like this.
  15. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Danish Ice Dance! Go Laurence & Nikolaj!

sorry, I'm lazy, what is the base value of this?

16. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

Current base values, if both jumps are called rotated: 3A (8.5) + 4T (10.3) = 18.8

justtojoke, rosewood, rfisher and 4 others like this.
  17. rosewood

kwanfan1818, SmallFairy, fai and 4 others like this.
  18. tamms

tamms Well-Known Member

That 3A was so beautiful. Probably his best one yet. I keep replaying that part. Now let's hope he learns to land his quads just as beautifully. I'm always so scared for his quad landings.

fai, rosewood and kittyjake5 like this.
  19. douglasottawa

douglasottawa Banned Member

He is good skater but he doesnt have the GOE to challenge Nathan Chen even with the same base value, higher PCS, and clean skate. He needs Chen to make mistakes to ever beat him now, and Chen is younger than him. Oh oh

20. kittyjake5

Oh please. Don't you know in figure skating we don't say never or ever.

fai, antmanb, rosewood and 2 others like this.
  21. douglasottawa

I like Shomu, but Chen has such powerful and high quality jumps in addition to such difficult ones. Just compare their GOE on the jumps and you see the difference.

22. kittyjake5

Thanks I read the protocols. I like Nathan but for me I like Shoma better.

fai, chapis and douglasottawa like this.
  23. douglasottawa

I think Uno should get more of a PCS edge on Nathan than he does. Nathan is the U.S #1 though and Shomu Japan #2.

kittyjake5 likes this.
  24. rosewood

Hopefully @douglasottawa can spell Shoma's name correctly if you'll post on this fan thread from now on. :shuffle:

25. SmallFairy

SmallFairy #teamtrainwreck #vladmorosovsfreckles #teamjapan

Norwegian commentator kept calling him "Shumo" during the entire sp yesterday. :wall: It can't be that hard!

kittyjake5 and rosewood like this.
  26. SmallFairy

SmallFairy #teamtrainwreck #vladmorosovsfreckles #teamjapan

I live for moments like those!

Fingers crossed so hard for the fs!

rosewood and fai like this.
  27. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Shoma's long program was my favorite tonight. I'm not saying he was robbed in terms of placement, but I enjoyed his program the most.

I can read the protocols all night long, and much of the scoring won't make sense. Yes, give skaters credit for their quads in the technical score, but don't give them a PCS bonus for them. PCS scoring at these events is incomprehensible.

kittyjake5, fai and rosewood like this.
  28. tamms

tamms Well-Known Member

Oh, what to do with Shoma. His 3A in the SP was undeniably beautiful but he couldn't land the jump in his FS. On the other hand, he landed all of his quads, even that quad loop earning a very good GOE. I am still very happy for his bronze medal finish since he finished off the podium the last couple of times at this competition. But he definitely put me on a roller coaster ride this time!

kittyjake5, fai and rosewood like this.
  29. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Still my pick for OGM next year.

kittyjake5, fai and skateboy like this.
  30. rosewood

A bit of bummer for making mistakes on the both two 3As in LP, but aside of that he got some achievements here. He debuted his 4Lo in a competition and he got better GOE (2.43) for it than his rival Hanyu's (2.14) here this soon following Hanyu's first ever successfully done one in Skate Canada. He also received +2.29 GOE for the 4F and +1.29 GOE for 4T+2T. GOEs play a big role these days when it comes down to winning a medal, so it was a good sign for him heading for Worlds. He received good PCS 91.08 (over 9 for all except TR), and it was a good sign too especially he competed back to back with other current top men (Nathan, Hanyu, Patrick). Above all congrats for winning his first ever 4CC medal, and receiving over 100 (100.28) score in SP. :cheer:

In a big picture Shoma just upped his jump layout with 4Lo and it's time for him to get accustomed to skating with the new layout in competitions. I wonder if he lost his rhythm during the LP at 4CC. Now he's heading to two more competitions before Worlds. So we can expect he'll be better prepared with the new layout till Worlds.

Shame YT videos from 4CC were deleted. Here is a DM video instead.

SP http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ce3ly_shoma-uno-sp-2017-4cc-ja_sport
    FS http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5cl256_b-esp-hd-shoma-uno-宇野昌磨-fs-2017-4cc_sport
    Result http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/fc2017/index.htm

Schedule
    Asian Winter Game: Men's SP is tomorrow (Thursday) and FS is on Friday this week.
    Coupe du Printemps: March 10-12
    Worlds: March 29- April 2

kittyjake5 and fai like this.