1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by rosewood, Dec 13, 2014.

1. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

2. rosewood

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. rfisher

rfisher Will you rise like a phoenix or be a burnt chicken

So, far, his free skate is the performance of the entire GP series, junior or senior. An amazing talent. Some of the senior men should be looking over their shoulders because there's a new kid in the rink.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

¡Todos para Uno y Uno para todos! :cheer:

IceAlisa, oleada, sweetsparky and 2 others like this.
  5. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Well-Known Member

You can really tell how influenced he is by Daisuke. Cannot wait to see how he does at senior nationals. :)

sweetsparky and rosewood like this.
  6. jiejie

jiejie Well-Known Member

Shoma Uno's skating was head and shoulders above the rest of the junior men. He really skates and presents like a senior man, and I can definitely see him channelling his inner Daisuke Takahashi. I can see lots of podiums in his future.

sweetsparky, kittyjake5 and rosewood like this.
  7. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

yeah Shoma's idol is Takahashi since he was young. His local tv station used to call him Nagoya's Takahashi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pkOaD0ScME

It's weird that Shoma couldn't land his triple axel a few months ago(and he wasn't even close to landing it) and now he is landing it with ease.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

He's very impressive.

9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Shoma! He is ready for Seniors next season. I look forward to seeing how he progresses once he moves up.He not only has loads of talent he as star quality to his skating.

I have been keeping my eye on Shoma since he was a novice mostly seeing him with Team Japan at ice shows. Some of his style does remind me of Dai-chan
    but Shoma has his own unique style which is very impressive. He has perfected the 3A and the Quad and his other jumps are great quality too.

Thanks for starting this thread rosewood!

10. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Shoma's skating is so smooth. He makes everything look effortless. :swoon:

What a talent!

rosewood and sweetsparky like this.
  11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

thanks for posting these - what a great performance :cool:

rosewood likes this.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

Thanks for starting this thread, rosewood! :) I can't remember when I first heard of/saw Shoma Uno skate as a youngster in a show - I think he was under 10?

Uno's exhibition gala performance earlier today (Spanish TV) with 4T & 3A! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5MWTeS8uPs

13. tamms

tamms Well-Known Member

So happy for Shoma! I remember watching Japan Super Challenge 2011 where he was on Dai's team. He was so tiny back then. I distinctly remember Miki yelling his name out after she found something that he had left. She was like a mom to him there. Hard to believe that same little kid just won JGPF with those quality jumps.

rosewood likes this.
  14. Sylvia

tamms and rosewood like this.
  15. rosewood

tamms likes this.
  16. tamms

tamms Well-Known Member

Thanks rosewood! I love that he said it's embarrassing to dance on land but it's not when he's on the ice. Hope to see him "dance" more on ice and bring more amazing programs.

Have to thank Mao for scouting him. Lol. :D

rosewood likes this.
  17. rosewood

This video shows the arrival of Shoma & Sota from Jr GPF. It also shows Sota celebrating Shoma's 17th birthday(Dec 17th) with a cake. Late Happy birthday to Shoma. :cheer2: Later on the video you can see some lovely clips of little Shoma and Mao when they were little. They were so so so adorable. :inavoid: (Ya know, Mao was on the boy hunt at the rink and he was hunted. :D)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cnidh_141216-c-帰国_sport

Shoma at the airport back in Japan:I feel like I happened to win in JGP final. I could skate free from pressures and nerves. Showing the good performances at that big stage gives me confidence for the future.

Sota: Since I placed 1st in SP, I was very nervous in FS. With a satisfactory skate in FS, I'm very happy with the 2nd overall.

Sota feeding Shoma a portion of cake with a spoon.
    Playbacks of the days when Shoma was younger than 10 yo, learning skating under Machiko Yamada.

Mao: He's so adorable. Still very little but good at skating. (Is he a type that you want him to be your brother?) Yes! I want him! bwahahaha!

Narration: Shoma was very popular among the girl skaters. He was a hard worker on the ice. He never stopped skating even when he fell on a jump and burst into cry. Sometimes he cried loud when he was frustrated by making mistakes.

*02:55- 2007 National Novice Championship. Shoma won the title when he was 9 years old.

Shoma: I want to participate in Olympics, and win a gold, if I can win.

Looking forward to seeing his good skate in Nats. :cheer2:

18. rosewood

Another video of their arrival back home from JGP final. It says Shoma is the third Japanese male skater who won JGP final (the other two are Kozuka and Hanyu) ever. Shoma's overall 238.27 is the highest world record in junior men field. And Sota's 76.14 in SP is also the highest world record in junior men field. I knew about Shoma's record but first to know Sota's SP world record.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ctqh9_141218-sn_sport

Shoma(at the airport): I can add one more quad to my LP. I wish I 'll add it at some competition in this season.

1:08- Shoma at the age of 6 learning skating under Yamada.

Sota: My goal at Nationals is to land a 3A each in SP and LP regardless of the placement.

Shota: We are given very short time till Nationals. I'll be focused in the preparation. I want to do satisfactory skates in the senior field as well.

Male reporter: I heard he(=Shoma) went straight back to the rink from the airport to work on artistry since he thinks he needs to improve in the field of artistry more.

Go for it Shoma & Sota :cheer2:

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Loved him. All ready to uber! :D :cheer2:

kittyjake5, Spun Silver and rosewood like this.
  20. floskate

floskate Vacant

I've loved him since videos started surfacing of him in around 2007. I can't believe I've been following a skater for 7 years already who isn't even senior yet! But you can tell the physical strength he's developed since last season has really helped with the jumps. They look great now. Looking forward to the next 7 years (and more hopefully) Shoma :kickass:

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Shomo is amazing, already.

His ability to coordinate technique and interpretation is stunning
    His skating reflects a maturity far beyond his years,

Like floskate. I suspect I will be enjoying his programs for a long time to come..

rosewood likes this.
  22. Sylvia

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    kittyjake5 and rosewood like this.
  23. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Big congrats to Shoma! He is amazing. He is one of those skaters who mesmerizes you with his flow across the ice and the ease of his skating. I can only compare him to Chan in that regard.

tamms, rosewood and skatesindreams like this.
  24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Impressive skate. The intensity that he kept throughout the entire LP was amazing. The one slight distraction for me was the helicopter motion of his right arm on some of his jumps' landings.

Shoma is probably Machiko Yamada's first student that can be considered to be both an artistic skater and a strong jumper.

25. tamms

tamms Well-Known Member

He's a joy to watch, especially with the artistry. He reminds me of Daisuke and he is being pegged as Daisuke #2, but Shoma does have his own style. I can't wait to see him develop more of his own style and of course his jumps.

rosewood and kittyjake5 like this.
  26. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Let me add my Congrats to Shoma! He is a welcome addition to Team Japan. I also was
    impressed at how he kept his nerves in check throughout the FS. Bravo!

rosewood likes this.
  27. rosewood

Shoma for numero UNO in junior Worlds! :cheer::cheer2::cheer:

kittyjake5 likes this.
  28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If the Junior GPF was anything to go by, he's ahead of everyone else by a country mile with Yamamoto being the closest contender. Is anyone going to Junior Worlds that wasn't in the GPF and could legitimately challenge him?

disclaimers: slippery ice, handling the pressure, blah blah he'll still crush it.

29. handomi

handomi Well-Known Member

Boyang Jin definitely can, if he will land all his quads and everything else, but maybe they will send him to senior Worlds but it is matter how much he can make up technically over Shoma, and how far he will be from Shoma's PCS

30. rfisher

rfisher Will you rise like a phoenix or be a burnt chicken

Nathan Chen, maybe, assuming he's healthy.

skatesindreams and ioana like this.