The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

chapis

well, the judge no. 6 gave low scores to everyone, not only Mao, but it is really weird because the lowest and highest score always are eliminated, right? so, it is like he/she is not there judging, all his/her scores are being eliminated.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Morning everyone! I haven't seen much of the free skating yet. I'll come back later, but please people talk about good points/impressions from Mao's free skating. Memories will go soon, please leave your comments on her FS. It'll be much appreciated. Glad her long program sounds great. Lori said back in spring that she wanted to use it in Olys season and not this pre season since the program is such great. If it's that good, she can continue the program next season, in the case they can't find a new idea. I haven't read the article (or watched the interview clip?) but I read Japanese reliable fans saying Mao picked Ritual Dance since she wanted to use a repetitive music like coughBolerocough, but Carolina already skated it and the program was done by the same choreographer Lori, and she gave up it and picked Ritual Dance instead. Anyways, happy it seems we have good season ahead with great programs!

I need to read @gotoschool's report! How did you enjoy her LP?

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
And 5.75 in transitions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My God.

What is their name? Aren't judges not anonymous anymore? I would like to contact this person.

Quite honestly that judge deserves to get their ass kicked. I would've figured out who the judge was and punched them in the face had I been there, learn things you stupid twit!!!! At least your black eye will make more sense than your marks.

Those marks are a disgrace to the sport IMO, it's seriously really really wrong.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
One more post, OK Judge No6 (Mr. Peter RANKIN AUS) disappeared from men's SP although he was listed yesterday. He must have read Karpenko's post #132 ;)

He was harsh on everyone so it's fine. But skaters were here to receive good scores (like season best) as well as ISU points. He gave waaaay low scores to skaters at this competition, and that's unfair for the skaters when compared to other skaters who skate in other CS competitions where they can receive better scores without him. Season best scores are important sometimes in selection meetings in each country for big events like Worlds, Euros, 4CC etc.

kittysk8ts

What is their name? Aren't judges not anonymous anymore? I would like to contact this person.

Quite honestly that judge deserves to get their ass kicked. I would've punched that judge in the face had I been there, learn things you stupid twit!!!! At least your black eye will make more sense than your marks.
Well, I am not much into punching, myself, but hahahahahahaha, I LOVE your passion....it is a female judge from Australia according to someone I was tweeting with re Mao's PCS scores

Edit: I see someone above named them and it is a MALE from Australia. My apologies.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Anyone have a link to the sound feed from the arena? All the feeds I saw show mao finishing her move to way after the music. She did not per a feed I saw on Instagram
Try this. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYJIRsN4eo

I like she gave a glance to judges during THE curve into (later in the season supposed to be) the opening 3A. That's a new choreo introduced from this season. :cool:

arakwafan2006

Try this. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYJIRsN4eo

I like she gave a glance to judges during THE curve into (later in the season supposed to be) the opening 3A. That's a new choreo introduced from this season. :cool:

Thank you. My goodness. The entire program has new movements and mood from Mao. I used to believe that TAT did the best steps for Mao but Lori does fantastic work. One thing about Lori is that she's true to the music. That music called for those fast staccato steps and Mao does them with unbelievable Percision.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Well, I am not much into punching, myself, but hahahahahahaha, I LOVE your passion....it is a female judge from Australia according to someone I was tweeting with re Mao's PCS scores

Edit: I see someone above named them and it is a MALE from Australia. My apologies.

Okay that makes it way easier, I can't punch a lady in the face. I would deserve to be punched back and to go to jail. ;) I would've just given her the Babs death glare, anytime we make eye contact this is me - :angryfire

Since it's a man it makes more sense, those marks reflect his ego and lack of knowledge- so :revenge::revenge::revenge:

:lol: but on the plus side I absolutely love her LP!!! Mao/Lori went for a really artistic approach this year and I like it a lot! So many different emotions in the LP and the step sequence is stunning.

It's also cool just for the fact that whenever someone asks "has a skater ever used the same music for both programs?" the answer will always be Mao. :D

kittysk8ts

Okay that makes it way easier, I can't punch a lady in the face. I would deserve to be punched back and to go to jail. ;) I would've just given her the Babs death glare, anytime we make eye contact this is me - :angryfire

Since it's a man it makes more sense, those marks reflect his ego and lack of knowledge- so :revenge::revenge::revenge:

:lol: but on the plus side I absolutely love her LP!!! Mao/Lori went for a really artistic approach this year and I like it. It's cool just for the fact that whenever someone asks "has a skater ever used the same music for both programs?" the answer will always be Mao. :D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!! Hilarious.

I absolutely LOVE her programs and especially the free. She is magical, exquisite. And yes, her collaborations with Lori are brilliant. That final step sequence has me completely agog. WOW

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
:lol: but on the plus side I absolutely love her LP!!! Mao/Lori went for a really artistic approach this year and I like it a lot! So many different emotions in the LP and the step sequence is stunning.

It's also cool just for the fact that whenever someone asks "has a skater ever used the same music for both programs?" the answer will always be Mao. :D
Yes! Yukari Nakano mentioned about using the same music in both programs that it goes beyond the general idea of this sport! Cool!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It's a new element of creativity, and it makes it more like Act 1 & Act 2 at the theatre. :cool: She's performing on a stage, most of the other ladies are performing only for the judges.

It's going to be a lot of fun watching these programs evolve, I also think that the respect level will go up for Mao throughout the season (for taking this approach), it's a new way she's found to differentiate herself from the other ladies. Really wonderful to see her trying things like this towards the end of her career ( ESP when she's already done so much for skating technically)

tamms

Does anyone know who designed both of Mao's dresses this season? I love them so much.

I'd like to know, too! Loving the contrast of colors.

Overall, I really like both programs. The LP is a little empty at the beginning but the second half especially the step sequence is so beautiful. She sells it so well. With her red dress, it's like she lighting up the ice.

My only hope is for her to recover quickly. Health is always the number one priority.

kittysk8ts

well, the judge no. 6 gave low scores to everyone, not only Mao, but it is really weird because the lowest and highest score always are eliminated, right? so, it is like he/she is not there judging, all his/her scores are being eliminated.
You are absolutely right @chapis. The biggest concern to me is the gap between his marks in PCS and all of the other judges....usually you do not see someone veer so far from the rest of the panel....and it makes me wonder why.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Does anyone know who designed both of Mao's dresses this season? I love them so much.
Mao's black dress for SP very much looks like Kwan's dress for Black Swan. Seems Mao added black parts to the dress at FT but the original dress at THE ICE was more similar to Kwan's. Possibly suggested or designed by Lori? I don't know who designed Mao's now but I'll post who did when I found out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrCReLTx4ZA

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'd like to add that her spiral is perfect, I love how she holds her back so steady and with an extended arabesque before going into it. :swoon: that's the best posture in the biz.

The opening actually has a fair amount of transitions IMO, she's always doing something a bit extra (the little hop kicks, besti squats/ina bauer/spread eagles after the 2axel, etc) so it's not only crossovers. There are so many little details in this program that I didn't originally catch, I highly recommend a second viewing (or even a ninth-tenth-or eleventh, go you :summer: judge #6 should watch it twenty times)

Last edited:

gotoschool

To me and the others I have showed Maoo 's performances to, her PCS scores are not only incorrect but a scoring inversion specially compared to the big rise for some skaters who used to have lower PCS scores than Mao. The -2 on the triple flip and level 3 on the steps and spins were more obvious signs of deflation, as was the low GOE. I didn't look at the calls on the jumps in the long. However, Kaetlyn did skate well under pressure.

Mao's dress and skating in the long were gorgeous. Definitely, a flamingo flavor. Her skating skills, fluidity, symmetry,elegance and subtle and complex depth of emotion Mao are truly stunning live. I think Mao should have gotten a higher PCS score in both programs than a mere 32 and 65 especially considering the recent rises in PCS scores. I think Mao should have gotten level 4 in step sequences (instead of 3) and that the level 3 in spins were too low and so was the -2 on the triple flip in the short program. Besides, Mao's triple lutz looked clean no !, she only touched the tip of her inside blade on take off, and it had a lot of snap to it. Also, her overall GOE were too low. I have some really good photos of Mao's LP performance but they are in raw format and I haven't posted them yet. I am still working on it.

It got a lot colder during the women's free program, so much so that I had to keep blowing and making fists with my hands to keep them warm. It was quite uncomfortable. I think this is one of the reasons why it was hard for anyone to skate clean especially Mao with a revealing but very classy and beautiful outfit. I think Mao did the best job of covering up her jumping miscues though by anticipating ahead of time so there was more of a continuous flow to the program.

As mentioned earlier, Mao did some triple flip and loop combos in practice quite successfully but she didn't hit them every time. I have heard talk on another forum that her longstanding back injury was acting up but I don't know if it was true. Consistent with this, Mao didn't practice any moves demanding great flexibility like her Biellman or half Biellmann in practice. She hit a lot of jumps beautifully in her performance - the triple flip, solo triple loop and yes even the triple lutz looked the best- she also did some wonderful triple flip / double loop / double loop tano during practice and warmup.

It is so exciting to see Mao skate live. The people sitting next to me had flown all the way from Japan and said they were going to Skate America in two weeks. Mao also had 4 banners hung in the arena from different performances.

Last edited:

gotoschool

mikaboo posted this information confirming that Mao was injured but it is her lingering knee injury from last season not her back.

Here is a part of their post:
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1722021.html

Coach Sato has returned to Japan. He says that Mao injured her left knee last season and it is still giving her pain.

The full post is here:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38067-Mao-Asada/page241 3615

I really feel for Mao having to perform with an injury. She performed incredibly well with such an injury. I am guessing the loops and the triple axel are the hardest and perhaps the lutz on her injured knee. I noticed in practice and in warmup, she hit her triple flip and loop and triple lutz well, but after the triple lutz she backed off the jumps in her run through. Mao gave a beautifully noble bow when she left the ice after her afternoon practice session.

Confession- Though I was really impressed with Mao's LP performance live, it was so cold in the arena and I was so focused on getting great photos though only at certain moments and on hoping that Mao won- playing the dreaded points game- that I didn't focus fully on the great dramatic performance she gave with such marvelous dance moves or even on her great triple lutz. Besides, I was also focused on how to slip the gift I had onto the ice without being conspicuous since I was in the front row and it was bigger than any of the others, so I was a little embarrassed. Also, Mao was so incredibly beautiful. I think her LP costume is one of her most beautiful and fiery ones especially seeing her wear it live for the first time so close. Truly dazzling. It was just kind of a mix of emotions so it was hard to focus on the performance. But after watching her performance on youtube, I now realize Mao's performance was even more marvelous. As with a lot of great art, it takes time to realize how magnificent it really is and it gets better and better with repeat viewings as Mao's LP and SP performances do. Like peeling the layers of an onion away with each one revealing a new revelation of beauty and emotion. Thanks to Mao for giving such a great performance even with an injury. I think she really is a warrior for her art with so little thanks from the judges. Some are criticizing her choices of music, but I think like most great artists Mao wants to do something original and innovative that merges her personal vision with Lori Nichols but may not be valued in a merely conventional and empirical system. That's why so many of her performances are transcendent like spiritual meditation while still having a powerful appeal to the senses and emotions.

I was really happy that Mao gave me five while I held out my hand during the medalists lap around the rink.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information