The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

Miki89

last year Mao did not need it because she had the 2 assignaments, I want to believe that if they know that Satoko and Marin have 2 gp somewhere and Mao needs an invitation they would incline toward Mao, and Mao would not affect the attendance, at the contrary, but of course is possible that they ignore her. I guess you have less faith in the JSF than me, and that's saying a lot :lol:.

:lol: Maybe. Well Mao did place 12th and hasn't been producing results, so I feel JSF might have given up on her. I also never felt that her coaches were good at promoting her. Sato was never great at that, nor do I feel he cares about those things. However, in figure skating, it does help a lot, that's why rising skaters go to famous coaches once they produce some results. You need that backing to go far at the start and for veteran skaters, you need someone to remind others that you're still great.

gotoschool

The comments are no longer available under Mao's most viewed and newest uploaded Sochi LP video after her two most watched videos of the performance filled with praise for the performance and criticism of the scores were removed, with the most watched one removed by the IOC. Strange how there is no objection to videos and comments about performances from some select other skaters. In my opinion, It's censorship and contrary to the attempts to hide her underscoring makes it more obvious that this is exactly what the powers that be are doing by trying to hide the comments and erase huge video counts and the passionate and thoughtful comments that people took the time to write on the videos. The removal and censorship of videos of this performance and a comparison of the protocols to visual evidence makes the intention to underscore her and censure the comments especially in this perhaps Mao's most greatest performance obvious. This includes underscoring in the ISU and JSF and in my opinion Mao is scored the most harshly compared to other skaters.

Blind obedience to authority is the greatest enemy of truth- Albert Einstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjEoBfmn1SU

On a lighter note, here is a 4K video of Mao's Cup of Russia Scheherazade Sp performance 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLagVGDDey8

And another 4K version of Mao's Worlds 2014 SP Nocturne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkD2wwjaik
-

gotoschool

Also, the latest article about Mao. It indicates that Mai Asada, a professional figure skater, updated her twitter on Tuesday, and uploaded a photo of a cake that was shaped like a rose flower made by Mao Asada, The article states that it is a rose flower Microbious Zucott cake which is a sweet that does not use eggs or dairy products and can be eaten with people with allergies to these products. From google translate, the article indicates that "Mao-chan seems to be healthy and relieved" and states that she is preparing for next season." Comments were also gratefully acknowledged to the tweet that understands Mao's present condition. https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2...000071-dal-spo

I believe this is a picture of the cake Mao made. She is an artist in cooking, in writing her autograph and in her performances: https://postimg.org/image/3u9ha2mnp/

Here is an adorable picture of Mao hugging a little girl who says said, "I love your skating." I think Mao is with Laurie Nichol, but I don't know when the photo was taken and if it is Laurie for sure.

https://twitter.com/azayakanablue/st...705600/photo/1

Last edited:

chapis

Also, the latest article about Mao. It indicates that Mai Asada, a professional figure skater, updated her twitter on Tuesday, and uploaded a photo of a cake that was shaped like a rose flower made by Mao Asada, The article states that it is a rose flower Microbious Zucott cake which is a sweet that does not use eggs or dairy products and can be eaten with people with allergies to these products. From google translate, the article indicates that "Mao-chan seems to be healthy and relieved" and states that she is preparing for next season." Comments were also gratefully acknowledged to the tweet that understands Mao's present condition. https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2...000071-dal-spo

I believe this is a picture of the cake Mao made. She is an artist in cooking, in writing her autograph and in her performances: https://postimg.org/image/3u9ha2mnp/

Here is an adorable picture of Mao hugging a little girl who says said, "I love your performances." I think Mao is with Laurie Nichol, but I don't know when the photo was taken and if it is Laurie for sure.

https://twitter.com/azayakanablue/st...705600/photo/1

That cake looks fantastic!. And yes, she is Lori Nichol. I wonder if it is recent.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
No. It was a few (or more) seasons back. It was spring when she worked with Lori in Canada. The girl came to Mao to say I love you. So cute. At the same time the elderly woman (I don't know who it is.) was moved to tears during watching Mao's skating at the rink side. On this thread @gotoschool often say Mao can give a big impact to people's mind by her skating. I think it's true, especially seeing people like this woman. :)

Last edited:

gotoschool

gotoschool

I posted this great performance of Mao's last week: Bells of Moscow at Worlds 2010. Today is the 7th anniversary of this one of may favorite performances with an aesthetically stunning assault of spirals, spins and step sequences and the incredible two triple axels, which makes it even more overwhelming. There was the magnificent cross grab Biellmann as Mao carved beautifully serpentine arcs across the ice with really nice edges, a gorgeous fan spiral and arabesque, a totally unique and intriguing one handed Biellmann with one hand cupped elegantly against her chest. Then, Mao does my favorite extended leg sit spin with a beautifully low position below parallel as she grabbed the end of her boots which I have never seen anyone else do and then she made a dramatic pose with her hand shaped like a halo held over her head as she did a dramatic frontal extension. Then, there were the wonderful whipsaw twizzles and fabulous sliding steps in her entrancing and passionate step sequence. I really loved the classiness of Mao's fiery costume as well. And of course, I can't forget to mention the incredible two triple axels again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUYRb2mAns

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
No :drama: She injured in her left knee for a while and had an underwhelming season, and ended up with placing 12th at Nationals. :(

Now it's annual "Mao desert" time when no info comes up for protecting her private life in safe and quiet mode. We need to be patient until THE ICE 2017 as "oasis" which will be held around the end of July and the beginning of August.

all_empty

The comments are no longer available under Mao's most viewed and newest uploaded Sochi LP video after her two most watched videos of the performance filled with praise for the performance and criticism of the scores were removed, with the most watched one removed by the IOC. Strange how there is no objection to videos and comments about performances from some select other skaters. In my opinion, It's censorship and contrary to the attempts to hide her underscoring makes it more obvious that this is exactly what the powers that be are doing by trying to hide the comments and erase huge video counts and the passionate and thoughtful comments that people took the time to write on the videos

Well, the IOC owns the rights to the Sochi videos, and they can pull it as they wish -- especially the most watched one. If I was a rights-owner, I would take down the worst perpetrator. I don't think that would be considered censorship.

I adore Mao and wish her health and happiness, but it will be an uphill battle for her to get a Pyeongchang berth.

Yes, she was injured and had some a bad performance at Nationals, but it's not like the ladies that finished ahead of her aren't extremely talented.

We could see an Olympic team of Miyahara, Asada and Higuchi or we could see a team of Honda, Shiraiwa and Sakamoto (this year's junior worlds team). You just never know.

gotoschool

I have seen Mao's performances at nationals quite a few times now. Despite the mistakes, I still think they are the most beautiful at Nationals. The beauty, power and emotional resonance I see and feel in Mao's skating compared to what I and those I have showed her performances to view as the deflated numerical evaluation of her performances through out her career has resulted in my "desertion" from the scoring system. I no longer evaluate her performances based on that criteria. In terms of inspiration. I eagerly await Mao's lovely and unique fluidity free from injury to usher in an oasis so that I can return from my desertion.

Here is a high quality 1440 resolution of Mao's fabulous 4CC 2013 SP I Got Rhythm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJc48Az10o

Here is a high quality video of Mao's charming Travel Show from 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUC4I9hKvk

As for the comment above about the IOC owning the rights to the videos of Olympic performances at Sochi, some performances of the long program have full HD copies that are left untouched with very high view counts by those I feel were scored a lot more favorably than Mao; while the IOC left a comment saying they had removed Mao's most viewed video of her Sochi LP which was just a low resolution copy. Therefore, I believe this removal of Mao's video is consistent with her underscoring because in each case she was treated unfavorably.

Last edited:

Ultra

Mao would have been a better Worlds substitute than Rika Hongo (an extremely questionable choice after the 4CC).
She had 100% chance of finishing higher than Rika's 16th place and Wakaba's 11th place.
The 3rd entry slot would have been safe with her instead of throwing it away.

chapis

Mao would have been a better Worlds substitute than Rika Hongo (an extremely questionable choice after the 4CC).
She had 100% chance of finishing higher than Rika's 16th place and Wakaba's 11th place.

But if she would went and lost the 3rd spot, people would blaming her . This girls get a pass because they are young.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
It is no use crying over spilt milk. :p That's how Mao's lived her life so far IMO.

A few days ago Mao together with Kanako was visiting a glass ateliera in Okinaya (kind of Hawaii of Japan) where team Japan members enjoyed a private travel together after Sochi Olys. Glad to see Mao enjoying something outside of skating. Wish she'll restart training refreshed and in better physical condition. :)
SUNDAY FUNDAY

Ultra

It is no use crying over spilt milk. :p That's how Mao's lived her life so far IMO.

A few days ago Mao together with Kanako was visiting a glass ateliera in Okinaya (kind of Hawaii of Japan) where team Japan members enjoyed a private travel together after Sochi Olys. Glad to see Mao enjoying something outside of skating. Wish she'll restart training refreshed and in better physical condition. :)
SUNDAY FUNDAY

Looks like Kanako might be the taller of the two. Glad to see they are enjoying life.
What does this place do?

gotoschool

I think Mao should treat her whole season as one extended Sochi LP. By dropping the albatross of expectation and then visualizing and striving to realize her own artistic and athletic vision, she'll have a better chance of skating greater performances that appeal directly to the people, which will in turn give her the best shot to beat the long shot odds and if not the magnificent performances she leaves behind will be the evidence that speaks the loudest. So many of Mao's transcendent performances are what set me free of the system, which is what I think great artists have the power to do. Redefine things in the mind so a light shines on a corner of the imagination and emotions that I have never seen before and that can never be calculated by an evaluation or score.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Looks like Kanako might be the taller of the two. Glad to see they are enjoying life.
What does this place do?
Here is the web site of the glass ateliera.
http://www.onna-glass-okinawa.co.jp/studio/wow.html
Probably they enjoyed experiencing creating something there.
http://www.onna-glass-okinawa.co.jp/studio/report.html
http://www.onna-glass-okinawa.co.jp/studio/exp.html#grs

Several years back Mao enjoyed experiencing creating some chinaware together with Kozuka during off-season. Probably Mao likes doing this kind of things.

Kinda ZEN!? :)

Ultra

I think Mao should treat her whole season as one extended Sochi LP. By dropping the albatross of expectation and then visualizing and striving to realize her own artistic vision, she can have a better chance of skating greater performances that appeal directly to the people, which will in turn give her the best shot to beat the long shot odds.

“You only have power over people so long as you don’t take everything away from them. But when you’ve robbed a man of everything he’s no longer in your power — he’s free again.” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Schedule of THE ICE 2017 is just announced.
July 29, 30, 31 in Osaka
Aug 4, 5, 6 in Aichi

People who went to THE ICE 2016 said Mao looked in good shape during THE ICE 2016 - her jumps were big and her consistency was good enough, her spins were slower, tho. Later in this season there were people who thought she might have worked too hard for THE ICE and it could be one of the factors that caused her left knee pains even earlier than in the comeback season. And her fans wish she'll not work too hard for preparing for THE ICE or skating many programs this time.

THE ICE 2017 will definitely be emotional one anyways.

Areski

Do you also consider coaching change as a good alternative for Mao?

The odds of it are very low though, nothing that remotely can suggest that to my information.

all_empty

There's no guarantee of this at all.

Higuchi was basically clean in the short with the most difficult content and placed 9th. You could argue that Mao would have Kostner level PCS, but assuming she did 2A, 3F+2Lo and 3Lo, her TES would be low.

Higuchi managed 5 triples with a fall in the FS. Mao hasn't done that all season (I think she did 4 at Finlandia). She also doubles a lot, which is the kiss of death under IJS.

I love Mao, but I'm not sure if sending her over Hongo or Higuchi would've made a difference. The best we can hope for is that she is healthy and as competitive as she can be next season.

If that's without a 3A or 3+3 combos so be it. We just want to see her skate to the best she can.

gotoschool

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
There's no guarantee of this at all.

Higuchi was basically clean in the short with the most difficult content and placed 9th. You could argue that Mao would have Kostner level PCS, but assuming she did 2A, 3F+2Lo and 3Lo, her TES would be low.

Higuchi managed 5 triples with a fall in the FS. Mao hasn't done that all season (I think she did 4 at Finlandia). She also doubles a lot, which is the kiss of death under IJS.

I love Mao, but I'm not sure if sending her over Hongo or Higuchi would've made a difference. The best we can hope for is that she is healthy and as competitive as she can be next season.

If that's without a 3A or 3+3 combos so be it. We just want to see her skate to the best she can.
Scott and Brian B are so correct in lamenting the death of pro competitions.

Marco

I was thinking that, but I just wasn't sure about the status of her knee injury and whether she had been training at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information