1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

The Gracie Gold Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FunnyBut, Jan 12, 2014.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Scott Brown, who was standing at rinkside and cheering on Gracie with Ouriashev, if you look closely (at the 2012 Junior Nationals clip that was linked earlier). Scott quite ofen still accompanies Gracie in the kiss 'n cry (although he hasn't been doing choreo for her AFAIK). Seemingly, Scott & Gracie have a strong emotional/ friendship bond.

AngieNikodinovLove likes this.
  2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I've been listening to the music from Born on the 4th of July. It's not new and fresh music, but to me, something about the music screams 'Gracie': Nothing ice princess, Disney or balletic about it. It is simple, somber and powerful and thus does not really require nuanced movements, facial expressions or 'acting'. The accents in the music are simple, allowing a skater to concentrate on elements without a lot of flourishes, but the music would still carry a skater on the PCS side in the choreography and interpretation departments.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  3. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I think that music would be great for Gracie. It's powerful and strong, yet melodic. It was a signature piece for Nancy Kerrigan--and Gracie has always reminded me of Nancy (in a good way).

Mariah Bell used that music last year but I felt she didn't really have the power/presence to fully pull it off (also the costume...).

4. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

LOL yes I was just about to say Mariah just used it and I felt she didnt connect with it.

So @clairecloutier will we have a USA NATS Pairs article from you soon?

5. clairecloutier

You'll definitely see something from me before Nationals that's related to U.S. pairs. :) But I'm not sure if I'll do a preview article--may not have time.

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Yes. In this sense, it is not overused. Mariah did not get past Nationals with it and I don't know if Kerrigan ever skated the program lights out. The music is begging for a lights out performance

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

Agree about the music and Gracie -- and Ashley has always reminded me of Nancy (in a good way) :lol: Go figure!

Good luck to all the ladies @ Nats! :)

8. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

Lori's free for Gracie this year and the music are IMO Gracie's best work. It's so her. The short, Gracie must have really wanted it. The ending trail off in the music and the position that she gets into like an old lady... it's not the best. The rest of it is nice. I'm a fan of Lori's work and she does good work for Gracie.

Quite frankly, given that not only had GG not been able to skate the programs lights out, she can't even do it without severe mistakes, it's tough to say. I see the potential but Gracie's head is unsettled. I don't like watching this. I feel like the shitty performances are imprinting a Jose Chouinard type of mentality in Gracie. In a perfect world , her season would have began this month in some Senior B event. She really needed the time away. Her psyche was as fragile as a dress fitting that's all in safety pins. Then, she's had almost no time to refresh and here is Nationals staring her in the face. That is BRUTAL AF.

One thing that encouraged me about Mao Asada was her mentality at her nationals. Smiling, having fun and trying the jump she loves... it seems like she ended with her heart and mind in a different place. I'm praying Gracie will be the same no matter the outcome.

rosewood, Spun Silver and AxelAnnie like this.
  9. Simone411

Simone411 FSU Uber fan

I'm going out on a limb here, but why not. I think Gracie should go for something completely different. Something way out of the ordinary, and it would work. The song I believe would work for her is by James Taylor and J.D. Souther. The song reached #5 on the Billboard for Adult Contemporary, and #21 on the mainstream rock chart. The song was released in 1981, and I believe that Gracie could make it a success if she chose to work with it in regarding choreography. I would tell Gracie to go for it.

Her Town Too - James Taylor & J.D. Souther

10. arakwafan2006

I'm seriously hoping this is a joke.

FunnyBut, tlk and AxelAnnie like this.
  11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ummm, the lyrics aren't very inspiring or uplifting until the ending line (maybe tho' @Simone411 feels the lyrics are telling of Gracie's current state of mind?). The song is more exhibition material, but NOT for Gracie I'm thinking. Rather slow and melancholy melody, which is truthfully not Gracie's personality, no matter her apparent recent state of angst and depression.

"... Darling somebody still loves you..."

12. Simone411

Simone411 FSU Uber fan

@arakwafan2006 No it isn't a joke. I like the music and how tranquil and calm it is and not necessarily melancholy. I believe she could do a lot with the choreography. In a way, it does have to do with Gracie's state of mind because she needs to understand that many fans of hers still love her no matter what the outcome is. She's a beautiful skater with beautiful skills when it comes to her artistry.

I've always felt that Breathing methods and exercises would help with her anxiety and also help her to concentrate when she gets on the ice to skate in competitions.

I don't see anything wrong with the music I chose, especially if compared to some of the music already chosen for Gracie. It hasn't been very successful, and I believe it's because she's not comfortable with the music choices she's had to work with in the past. If the skater feels uncomfortable with the music and the program, then the skater won't feel comfortable skating to it in competitions.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

Lynn Rutherford tweeted re. Gracie Gold's pre-Nationals media call today:
    Audio link should be posted on IN at some point.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    bardtoob and rosewood like this.
  14. Sylvia

Nick Zaccardi summarized her media call here: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/gracie-gold-figure-skating-nationals-championships/
    Excerpt:
    ETA:

Phil Hersh also spoke with Alex Ouriashev for his piece on Gracie: http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2017/1/12/gracie-gold-im-forgiving-myself-for-failing

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  15. arakwafan2006

I love that Alex answered to give her the familiarity she needed. I'm also glad she values Frank and is back in Cali

rosewood likes this.
  16. zigzig

zigzig Well-Known Member

Hopefully she'll get some of her old kaboom back in her jumps. Either way, excited to see her skate at Nationals refreshed and on her own terms!

17. Sylvia

Audio of Gracie's media teleconference call (30 mins.): http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/213147480/v1219439283

ETA:

Lynn Rutherford's article today includes quotes from Alex Ouriashev:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/01/13/213471200
    Excerpt:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    FunnyBut and rosewood like this.
  18. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

Sending best wishes to the lovely Gracie Gold for a successful Nationals outcome.

Don't sweat it and go get it! :cheer2:

19. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

clairecloutier, zigzig and Wyliefan like this.
  20. arakwafan2006

Two things:One, I almost jumped out of my skin when she landed Lutz/Toe. She was so damn nervous but made that combo happen. She has such explosive jumps and that was great and set the tone. The second thing, as a spectator, I cannot stand those traveling 3-turns into the Triple Flip but, it makes the edge better, she hasn't trained the old way in a long time so it has less familiarity than this technique AND, she's been landing the Flip that was in practice so she says. I respect the decision to do that as oppossed to the Loop that most people are probably scratching their heads as to why she's not trying it.

Gracie, and this is just my opinion only won one part of a two part battle in the short program. I believe in her. I believe that she will give a respectable performance in the free.

Coco, skateboy and rosewood like this.
  21. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I would be hard to expect two weeks out of a season of uncertainty to be some kind of miracle cure. I just hope she can build on whatever happens in Kansas city and continues to grow personally. :cheer2:

22. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

I was thrilled when Gracie stood on the opening 3Lz-3T where she was almost out of balance. Everyone other than Gracie could fall out on that combo. She's such a fighter. Shame for the pop on 3F, but whatever, she fought through the program. I was almost tearing up for her. She should be proud of this SP, being brave to skate out there, and keeping her love for this sport in her mind. Best of luck in FS. I wish she'll enjoy her stsq today. Enjoy SKATING not just jumping, Gracie. It's one of your most talented areas in the world. Count what are left and not what are lost.

23. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

When is Frank going to realize that Gracie can't land the 3flip in the SP? How many times does she need to get 0 points in the SP and sabotage herself? I don't care if she lands it in practice Gracie tightens up when she competes. Just stick to the 3loop. Hopefully she just goes out an attacks her LP tomorrow if she wants to go to Worlds. No more popping jumps.

24. clairecloutier

Watching Gracie's step sequence in the SP, I felt that perhaps only Mao can surpass her in this area? Everyone always talks about her jumps, but for me it's her skating skills I enjoy most.

rosewood, worldsnice12 and dinakt like this.
  25. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Well-Known Member

Regarding the mental "blocking" Flip in the SP.. I dont think the 3Loop is her best jump and perhaps one of the reason why they have not changed for this jump?

I am a bit thorn but one part of me is thinking...do a "Carolina Kostner". Go back to scratch and slowly building up your confidence again. Take out some problematic jump(s) for now...take a "different" approach. Why not 3Z/3T, 3S&2A or 3Z/2T,3T&2A in the Short and 3Z/2T, 3L, 2A/3T/2L, 2A/3T, 3Z, 3S in the Long? I believe the Lutz is still her money jump but perhaps I am wrong.
    She would still rank up a lot of points on steps and spins and I believe she would score very well even without the 3F or a 3/3 combo. Her 2A/3T can look so effortless and I believe Satoko scored well by doing two of them i a program.

On the other hand, perhaps she will do an Ashley, skating clean and end of winning the whole thing tonight! This is the "charm" with Gracie :)

Despite her previous struggles, I believe that if she shows improvements tonight and can rotate 5-6 Triples, then she should be on the World Team. No matter a "surprise" winner with let's say Chen or Bell Ashley&Gracie have worked hard throughout the years to build a reputation on the international stage.

Go Gracie!

rosewood and clairecloutier like this.
  26. stillalive

stillalive Active Member

True, same goes for her 3lz-3t (another japanese skater, Higuchi repeats this very combination). It could be a good strategy for someone with a sound jumping technique like Gold.

rosewood and clairecloutier like this.
  27. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

Your point seems obviously correct, so maybe Frank is not making the choice. Maybe it is Gracie herself.

I am wondering how she will skate tonight. I hope cautious with everything landed. I don't expect a miracle, like her fitness magical returning, but maybe close attention to jump technique will get everything done, even if the elements and choreography are not well blended.

28. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I don't think cautious is going to get it done if she wants to finish in the top 3 and go to Worlds. She needs to be fearless and not keep popping her jumps which a skater of her talent level should never be doing as much as she does.

29. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

I'm a Gracie fan, but the numbers indicate she will need what you say and others to make mistakes, and I don't hope mistakes on anyone (and I don't think you do either).

30. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

The thing is, the skaters in 1-4 have great, if not superior, talent levels also.