1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Gracie Gold Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FunnyBut, Jan 12, 2014.

1. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Well obviously she can't handle it... Whatever it is. At the very least she is not handling it. There must be a sense of entitlement in that child's psyche. She wins Nats and goes off to Worlds to get crowned for breaking the drought. It is the only thing I can think of to explain her rather childish reaction to being 4tb in the world. Get on with it or if it is too much for you, save yourself and get out. This is not a sport for sissies

2. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

The know it all psych analysis from a posters is really something. Astounding actually.

Because we haven't seen skaters fall, have bad seasons and get back up? It happens all the time in this sport and if skaters listened to couch potato fans with nothing better to do than kick someone when they are down then we would have missed out on quite a few performances throughout the years.

Sylvia, Coco, love skating and 5 others like this.
  3. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Little Tursy pipes up and says 'Nyet! I am Orser #1!' Seconds Joshi: 'Ja! Orser #2!'.

4. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

Gracie doesn't need a maternal coach -- despite her struggles, she is not that fragile. :fragile:

As I have already mentioned, I am going to give Gracie the benefit of the doubt because she is the best source :sekret: re herself. ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    AxelAnnie likes this.
  5. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

:40beers: Nailed it.

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think it has been noted ad naseum that GG rocks practices year in and year out on the day of any given competition. The only logical conclusion is she suffers stage fright. I don't get from any interviews or such that she feels entitled, is out of shape (maybe except this season) or anything else. FC had to shake her out of her stupor while Pogo was skating last March at Worlds. She freezes and has to find a way to move past it. That's all

7. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

Great post!

8. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

:rolleyes: because you know so much better?? Thank you so much.

People here discuss things. Gracie has been a headcase all year. Is that kicking her while she's down, or trying to offer a possible solution?

It may happen in the sport but has it ever happened this badly to Gracie? Or any of Frank's students this many competitions in a row? Why are people out of line and making you so :rolleyes: for something you don't know shit about yourself?

We sure are a self-righteous bunch here.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  9. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

You are right. I was out of place with my "entitlement" comment. I don't know what is going on with her, but I hope she fixes it fast. It must be so difficult for her to take the ice.

Things came very easily for Gracie. And sometimes that can really mess you up when you have problems. She is an uberly talented skater. Falls or not, it is a judged sport. And, there is only so much you can do.

People have suggested that Gracie is still upset about Worlds. An athlete can't compete that way. I had a sport psychologist (who specialized in riding) suggest that instead of reliving the fall or crashed fence or whatever, thinking about it, remembering it, it is better to ride that ride again (in your head) correctly. It will do a lot more for you than the drama of the fall, the hospital, the surgery, etc. LOL.

Mayra likes this.
  10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

None of us know what we don't know, in fact.

Good luck to Gracie. She's a beautiful young lady and a beautiful skater. She doesn't owe fans anything. In the end, life is more important than figure skating.

11. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

Post of the day!

12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Sadly Gracie has always lacked the grit and mental toughness to be a champion on a international level. She should have a trunk full of championship medals but she has none which is astounding for someone of her talent. You have to want it so much that it overcomes your nerves but the nervous usually win with Gracie. People have even said how when Gracie is at a championship event like the GPF or Worlds and she's around the Russians for instance that she looks intimidated. She should be the one intimidating others but she backs off and doesn't go for it when it counts. It seems Nationals is the one event where she goes for it in the LP for some reason i guess maybe because she knows she can beat everyone there and isn't intimidated. I really hope she has shaken off whatever it is that has made her season so far a nightmare and she comes out with guns blazing.

13. Jammers

14. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

I love you back. Lol

Here's the thing, either Gracie is a lunatic for keeping Frank around or, he's who she wants. Frank Is not her spouse , he's her coach. She pays the man to do his job. It doesn't even make sense that she would if he sucks.

Is Frank old? Yes. Is he probably short on patience ? I could see that. But nobody was saying that shit when Gracie won Nationals or when she was positioned to win worlds. Mental hurdles are a bitch to overcome and no coach is going to shorten that. Gracie Is going through a super challenging situation. The most we can do is hope she makes it.

At this point, given her psyche, letting her be a novice coaches Guinea pig would be unfortunate. It's funny how everyone is yelling Orser but Yuzuru Hanyu is as predictable as Michigan weather. The media served you guys Moskvina hypnotizing her skaters and you guys ate it up. That's not how it works. Do you think Gracie is Frank's prisoner? She's not. She pays him to be there. Like it or not. Furthermore if you've never been at the top of you game at anything in life, voice your opinion but ditch the " she should" act. If you knew what should and shouldn't be, you'd be the best at what you do. Gracie and Frank are better at their jobs than most people here. Stand back and enjoy lol.

Seriously.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    IceAlisa, Karpenko and Weve3 like this.
  15. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this post! I really did! Props!

Karpenko and arakwafan2006 like this.
  16. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I am really getting tired of the old "Gracie doesn't want it bad enough" BS. Wanting badly, @Jammers doesn't get you over the nerves, it creates nerves. I don't know Gracie, but if I had to guess, I would guess that she wants it so badly it is messing her up. I would also suggest that the deer in the headlights look is not because Gracie doesn't want to compete, but because she wants so badly to compete and compete well, that her brain is on fire.

I have a huge amount of empathy for Gracie. She is going through a really rough time. The psychological part of her athletic ability is broken. If she had broken her leg, she would get sympathy, x rays, a cast, and physiotherapy. Because it is her brain she gets random strangers on a posting board telling her she is a wimp and should quit. I have no doubt she and Frank are doing everything they can to work through this, but like with a broken leg, it will take time and maybe a few more sub par performances.

Hang in there Gracie, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

17. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I don't know any better than the next person. None of us do. It is one thing to discuss someone's skating, choreography and coaching and another to make IMO ridiculously harsh personal comments on a skater's psych, which is what I called @AxelAnnie on and which she herself agreed was out of place.

You can discuss all you want, just don't expect people to sit idly and let you get away with bullshit personal remarks about skaters without any pushback. Because that's what we do here right? Snark , disagree and discuss things isn't it?

If you can't handle the push back on your posts then maybe you should think twice about what you are posting.

JMO

18. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

@Karpenko

I totally understand your reasons for justifying a change. Not every outcome with Frank has been a Michelle Kwan. We have seen others not fully reach their potential.

Whatever choices Gracie makes, I will still be a fan.

clairecloutier and Karpenko like this.
  19. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Stephanie, Mayra, Spun Silver and 4 others like this.
  20. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

maureenfarone, IceAlisa and bardtoob like this.
  21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wow. Would a skater go to an ex-coach while still w/ a current coach who has such a hi-profile? Then again, Ouriashev is in IL (?) and maybe she was visiting a family member during the holidays and wanted to practice?

22. rosewood

Ouriashev is in Chicago. I just surprisingly found her in the rink where Shoma was working with Ouriashev. You might be true.

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

24. rosewood

No. Shoma is visiting Chicago to work with Ouriashev (as a temporary technical coach) after finishing Nationals.

Coco and clairecloutier like this.
  25. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

Frank has always been gracious when speaking about Alex Ouriashev. He had always acknowledged that Alex is one of the best jump technicians around and that he deserves a lot of credit for teaching GG before she switched to him, and this was not just friendly lip service from Frank either -- he really meant it.

For GG to be seen at her old rink, possibly, reconnecting with Ouriashev shouldn’t really surprise too much, at this point, considering where she is currently at. I think that if this were to be the case, it is a positive thing.

GG would be foolish to, permanently, close the door on any (skating) relationship that could help advance her in the sport or get her past a 'skating funk.'

Despite the dust-up that occurred when she left, GG has never exhibited this kind of (off-limits) behavior.

Potential personality conflicts aside, this certainly cannot hurt. Anything that can help, I am all for it!

:cheer2:

26. Jammers

I would love to see the old Gracie that attacked her jumps when she was with Alex. Yes she was a bit out of control like Kaitlyn Osmond is with her jumps but she used to do a 3flip 3 toe combination as a Junior. Just look at the speed and power. Granted she would probably get marked down for the wrong edge but she was landing the 3flip and there is no hesitation into it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8_cAgdoE8

27. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

Wow, I dont even remember this anymore.

Stylistically, I think I prefer GG then!!! Unlike Carolina whom I prefer stylistically now.

Who was her choreographer then? This wasnt Lori, was it?

I like this choreography!

What a talent!!!!

28. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

People need to remember that Frank was cautious about accepting Gracie, specifically say that it did not have to be him, and always acknowledged Alex's contribution, particularly in interviews surrounding the 2014 Olympics.

This seems like a very reasonable move given the lack of available coaches that can meet Gracie's needs. I would be glad to see either Frank and Alex share the K&C or Alex take over the K&C, if that is what Gracie wants. I can very much envision a Nathan Chen style arrangement working.

It is interesting to note, those steps into the 3F are quintessential Frank Carrol, so Gracie does not appear to be scrubbing herself of Frank.

----
    Note the 2nd jump pass -
    https://youtu.be/IoTThJc4W9g

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Weve3 likes this.
  29. zigzig

zigzig Well-Known Member

I'm sure her working with Alex has Frank's blessing regardless of the context/situation. People have talked about her mental emotional/state ad nauseam but her physical ability has really taken a dive - she's always been a reliable rotator so to see her barely get off the ice and suspect for lots of < and << is definitely cause for concern in terms of conditioning.

And why does she insist on those difficult entrances that compromise her ability to complete the jump - the hop into her flip, the back spiral into her lutz, etc. For that matter why is she bothering with the flip in the short anyway. Medvedeva only does 3F+3T and 3Lo so Gracie's 3Lz+3T and 3Lo content already supersedes that (not taking into account Medvedeva's bonus advantage on the combo).

30. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

Not speculating at all. I'm just happy to see my girl still fighting.

Mayra, Coco, rosewood and 2 others like this.