The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

Areski

I think La la Land is a bad choice for C and B.
They IMO lack the chemistry.
And he lacks the charisma and she the vulnerability for the characters.
It's way more suited to H and D.
I actually don't like it for any of the Canadian teams except maybe Weaver and Poje.
I'm expecting something voidy from Tessa and Scott. Think they want to go out with a risk.
But I would die a happy woman if they took on Le Jeune Homme et la Mort.
Would love to see Scott angsty and Tessa as the femme fatale.
It would also suit P and C, especially him.

All I know is that I don't want more mush from Tessa & Scott.

flippedstargirl

Yeah, but as Hubbell/Donohue showed, just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if you're going to kick ass with it.

Oh I agree. That's why I'm curious how many teams will skate to it. I'm thinking maybe four or five teams total might select this for their music. Plus all the other disciplines...

chapis

Oh I agree. That's why I'm curious how many teams will skate to it. I'm thinking maybe four or five teams total might select this for their music. Plus all the other disciplines...

if at least 3 teams use it, I wonder if they will be so criticized like people did criticized to the Shibs, V/M, H/D and P/C this season.

ninalovesskating

Chock & Bates just announced they are dancing to La La Land for the FD.

How many teams do you think will also be dancing to La La Land?
A couple of weeks ago, Tiffany Zahorski posted something about doing a La La Land FD on Instagram. I think it's a nice concept for Tiffany and Jon. Not really sure with Chock and Bates doing La La Land tho. Doesn't suit them, IMO.

Dobre

my reply earlier bears repeating: did you begin this series of dance hall threads? wasn't it @Dobre that did it?

Oh, no. I just added the name The Dance Hall to the previous Ice Dance Fans thread. (Though I love that The Dance Hall title has survived four threads). The concept of the previous thread was the same as I believe this one still is: a place for dance fans to discuss all the international dance teams in one location.

Dobre
(who thinks Grishuk & Platov are the greatest dance team that ever lived and is certain you can both agree to disagree with me:)).

Dobre

- Chock and Bates are relatively consistent, but haven't been able to capitalize on the best chances to move back up. They lost to HD at the GPF and would have finished third of the US teams at Worlds if not for HD making an e en bigger mistake.

Relatively consistent being generally clean at . . .
Nebelhorn
Skate Canada
Nationals
4CC

OR

Relatively consistent being . . .
Nepela-blown twizzles
Rostelecom-blown twizzles
GPF-fall
Worlds-blown twizzles

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I think La la Land is a bad choice for C and B.
They IMO lack the chemistry.
And he lacks the charisma and she the vulnerability for the characters.
It's way more suited to H and D.
I actually don't like it for any of the Canadian teams except maybe Weaver and Poje.
I'm expecting something voidy from Tessa and Scott. Think they want to go out with a risk.
But I would die a happy woman if they took on Le Jeune Homme et la Mort.
Would love to see Scott angsty and Tessa as the femme fatale.
It would also suit P and C, especially him.
ITA, H&D would be fantastic for LLL but Chock, why would they ever think this was a good idea ? Let's say subtlety and understatement is not her forte. It depends maybe which music they pick out of the soundtrack. But if it is partly City of stars, this is a delicate song so fiery Madison and delicacy :shuffle: They're going back to a musical trying maybe to recapture their most successful year when they won silver. Everyone is saying every skater will go back to what works for the Oly year.

Le jeune homme et la mort would be a fantastic idea for P/C. Going back adapting un pas de deux like their Mozart but with a much more angsty theme like this year, combining all the progress they've made the past 3 years.

Last edited:

Susan M

One rhetorical question: How come V/M get all the love? Not fair! if the judges were gonna move C/B down so much behind several teams for Evan's twizzle miscues, and send Madi/Zach to the depths of hell, why the hell couldn't they bring themselves to fairly drop V/M one spot down to second where they absolutely belonged?! ....
Well, actuially, they did. V/M were only 2nd in the FD. Yes, element errors cost more than slips on the in betweens. Deal with it; it actually does make some sense. It has been that way for decades, even before ijs.

G&G's unhappy facial expressions back stage seem

G&G were, are, and always will be Gordeeva and Grinkov. They weren't at this event.

topaz

Madison/Zach I hope do not skate to lalaland, at least not for next season. I would love to skate Amelie, 2013 Romeo & Juliet. Or possibly more modern soundtracks like The Dark Crystal, The Girl on the Train, Game of Thrones Soundtrack, The Crown Soundtrack.

topaz

As far as P/C, as I posted in their thread I want to skate to Martin Phipps Gloriana from the Victoria Soundtrack. If they don't choose that then I would love to see them skate to "real" jazz.

Twilight1

With the new 25 years later Twin Peaks coming out, I really hope at least one dance team skates to the music. It is bluesy so there has to be some team that could pull it off.

Also, wish someone would skate to music from Game of Thrones. There are some great selections there too...

princeton123

I don't think La La Land is a bad choice necessarily, but I feel like it's a bad choice for Chock/Bates. Their personalities just aren't well-matched with the cutesy, twinkly music.

Someone did an (actually really well-made) video of the La La Land OST edited over Virtue/Moir's Funny Face program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X780d-F30fQ), and I think it reiterated to me just how important actually having good ballroom dancers for a program like this is too. Madi and Evan have lots of good qualities, but I don't think they're natural dancers at all, and don't really have the posture or partnering skills of a lot of other teams.

If the rumor about the Shibs doing La La Land too is true, I think they're much better suited to it than C/B are.

VGThuy

I don't think La La Land is a bad choice necessarily, but I feel like it's a bad choice for Chock/Bates. Their personalities just aren't well-matched with the cutesy, twinkly music.

Someone did an (actually really well-made) video of the La La Land OST edited over Virtue/Moir's Funny Face program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X780d-F30fQ), and I think it reiterated it to me just how important actually having good ballroom dancers for a program like this is too. Madi and Evan have lots of good qualities, but I don't think they're natural ballroom dancers at all, and don't really have the posture or partnering skills of a lot of other teams.

If the rumor about the Shibs doing La La Land too is true, I think they're much better suited to it than C/B are.

There's a rumor about the Shibs doing La La Land?

VGThuy

I read it on another forum. They didn't provide a source though so I don't know where they're getting their info from.

:slinkaway

Unless the person is a real insider, I doubt the rumor is true just because they haven't made any announcements. Maybe it was a joke since C/B announced their FD selection.

VGThuy

According to TSL, there's a rumor that there's a try-out in Russia with Ilinykh reuniting with Katsalapov. If true, I wonder how Viktoria and Ruslan feel.

ETA: It looks like TSL deleted that Tweet.

chapis

According to TSL, there's a rumor that there's a try-out in Russia with Ilinykh reuniting with Katsalapov. If true, I wonder how Viktoria and Ruslan feel.

This is the best for Ruslan and Victoria, they should take advantage of the situation and seek new partners

ninalovesskating

ETA: It looks like TSL deleted that Tweet.
This is shocking. I feel so conflicted. A part of me wants them to skate together again, rebuild the magic of I/K... But another part of me wants Nikita to rot with his partner. As mean as it sounds, he doesn't deserve Queen Elena after what he did.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Too late. If they wanted that, it should have happened last season. Now is way too late.

bwayrose7

This is shocking. I feel so conflicted. A part of me wants them to skate together again, rebuild the magic of I/K... But another part of me wants Nikita to rot with his partner. As mean as it sounds, he doesn't deserve Queen Elena after what he did.

I found them magical exactly once: at Sochi. Otherwise, they were wildly unpredictable, and that "fire" seemed to have ugliness beneath it, rather than the "good" kind of fiery chemistry. But I've said it before: these are human beings, and I have no desire to see an unhealthy partnership reunite. Especially for her sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information