The Carolina Kostner Thread

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It was gorgeous. Her music picks for both SD and FD might be the best of the ladies with Satoko (love her FD). She looked so composed yet inspired out there. She's my favorite to get lost in a performance with Satoko's FD this year. Great artists those two.

msadot

She was in much better shape I thought she would be. I´m over the moon that she even medalled! Congratulations, Caro! Love her!

It's great to have her back and to see her on the podium! Well done, Caro! :cheer2:

Did you have doubts? Carolina=Medal. Veni. Vidi. Vici.

Start thinking: we all know she has nothing to prove anymore, as she won EVERYTHING (8 National Medals, 10 Euro Medals, blah blah blah...). STILL... IMO, it will be the medal itself to decide her retirement. As long as she wins, she will not stop. :) Good for my Country, as we will take three skaters to Euro next year.

Last edited:

jiggs

I still can't quite grasp what she managed to achieve here. Her longevity is beyond amazing! To come back after 2.5 years away from competition, after everything she has had to go through during that time, willing to move to Russia to relearn her jumping technique at 30 years old - she is simply inspirational. So so happy for her and can't wait to see where this journey takes her (and us) next!

Btw: Yesterday was the 10-year anniversary of her first European Gold in 2007. At that time Medvedeva was 7 and Pogorilaya was 8 :eek:

briancoogaert

Btw: Yesterday was the 10-year anniversary of her first European Gold in 2007. At that time Medvedeva was 7 and Pogorilaya was 8 :eek:
Well, Carolina was already 4th in 2003, and 3rd here 14 years later, even more impressive !

This is the skaing I love to watch, so much more than the gymnasts we saw on the top of the podium actually. Congrats Carolina !

msadot

D'you remember when you said to me: to reach such a high score, she should be a man? Well... seems like it happened. :D

Caro è entrata nella storia perché mai nessuna come lei in 81 anni di Europei al femminile a numero di medaglie (tra gli uomini hanno fatto “10” sono le leggende Ulrich Salchow, Karl Schäfer e quella vivente Evgeni Plushenko)
(No woman in 81 Euro competitions won 10 medals, only between men...)

http://bit.ly/2kkh6uO

MsZem

I see the sea
D'you remember when you said to me: to reach such a high score, she should be a man? Well... seems like it happened. :D

Caro è entrata nella storia perché mai nessuna come lei in 81 anni di Europei al femminile a numero di medaglie (tra gli uomini hanno fatto “10” sono le leggende Ulrich Salchow, Karl Schäfer e quella vivente Evgeni Plushenko)
(No woman in 81 Euro competitions won 10 medals, only between men...)

http://bit.ly/2kkh6uO
I posted about that in the pbp thread ;) they missed Joubert, who got #10 one year before Plushenko.

Happy birthday to Carolina - incredible that she's such a strong competitor at 30!

msadot

Just... a bit upset for her. :( 33 medals: 7 Worlds, 10 Euro, Grand Prix n Olympics. :) STILL... according to some, she ha snot won enough.
She is approaching the men's score, she did beat a men record; still... no. She "may not win medals, but her skating is so gracious". She may not win medals, ja.

Anyway, she's in Canada, most likely working on the 300 score. :)

Or maybe, à la Linsey Vonn: why not competing for Ladies, Men, Couples n Ice Dance at the same time? :D

Last edited:

lauravvv

Just... a bit upset for her. :( 33 medals: 7 Worlds, 10 Euro, Grand Prix n Olympics. :) STILL... according to some, she ha snot won enough.
She is approaching the men's score, she did beat a men record; still... no. She "may not win medals, but her skating is so gracious". She may not win medals, ja.

Anyway, she's in Canada, most likely working on the 300 score. :)
I don't understand - are you simply a troll, or do you have reading and comprehension problems? Did not you even notice that Carolina won only bronze in these Europeans, and her total score (for both programs) was 210.52 points? Evgenia Medvedeva won with a total score of 229.71 points which is the new world record for female skaters. The previous record belonged to Yuna Kim which was 228.56 points. Carolina's best ever international score was in 2014 Olympics which was 216.73 points. She has never beat a men's record or even been close to 300 points. Men's record is 330.43 points now which Yuzuru Hanyu got at the 2015 Grand Prix Final. Before the previous season men's record was 295.27 points which Patrick Chan got at 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard (one of the Grand Prix events). Carolina is a great skater, and she has won many medals indeed (except an Olympic gold), but she has never been the technically strongest skater. Her programs have either had not very high difficulty in terms of jumps, or when she had greater difficulty she almost always made a lot of mistakes. Her jumps are very good when she does them clean, but often they are not clean. And her spins are far from the best even if sometimes they are beautiful. Unfortunately skaters can't win the highest scores only with great skating skills and musicality/interpretation.

And if you don't believe me about Carolina's scores, just look up the official protocols on the net - it's easy. But just in case if it's too difficult for you, here are the official results for this season's Europeans - http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/ , http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/ec2017/CAT002RS.HTM + the official results for the 2014 Olympics where Carolina got her highest score - http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/, http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/CAT002RS.HTM. By the way, if you are probably thinking of Carolina's score when she won Worlds in 2012, it was much lower than her best score and than her score at these Europeans - it was 189.94 points (http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/CAT006RS.HTM). The thing is, Carolina, as great a skater as she is, won most of her medals and titles at times when there were not as many technically strong female skaters who could rival her as there are now, or when technically stronger skaters had a bad competition.

And I am saying all of that despite being a great fan of Carolina. She is my absolitely favorite female skater at least of the last twenty years and probably ever.

msadot

Caro, who won the Scandinavian Open next week, got interviewed for "La Domenica Sportiva" on Rai2. A podcast will appear, I think.

msadot

I pity her opponents. :( No way you can get her out of the podium.
A bit harsh at Alex, though: "it takes two to tango".

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Carolina HAS BY FAR the most elegant and sophisticated SP and free program I have seen in a long long longgggggggggg time....

This is a well-seasoned, elegant woman who stuns on the ice.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The real gold medalist in Sochi. She was an even bigger victim of the whole Sotnikova farce than Yu Na IMO.

I thought I was only person who thought Carolina was the OGM.

I remember a commentator..... maybe Scott that said it was so close between top 3 that if they were held in Italy Caro woudld have won and if they were held in Korea Yuna would have won....

That says something about home field advantages and how it shouldnt be

slipchuk

Banned Member
I thought I was only person who thought Carolina was the OGM.

I remember a commentator..... maybe Scott that said it was so close between top 3 that if they were held in Italy Caro woudld have won and if they were held in Korea Yuna would have won....

That says something about home field advantages and how it shouldnt be

And if it were held anywhere but Russia Sotnikova would be lucky to barely get a bronze medal over Gold and Asada, and is easily double digit points behind the gold and silver medalists. While anywhere else but Italy or Korea, Mao Asada probably wins the long program, with Sotnitkova a distant 4th place in the long program, not even close to the points of any of the first 3. Yet in Russia she wins the long program by a large margin over way better skates by all of Asada, Kim, and Kostner, ROTFL!

Kostner's skate was absolutely breathtaking, insanely difficult choreography that was by far the hardest in the event, 7 triples even if her combination jumps were easier than Asada, Sotnitkova, Kim and a few others, amazing speed and beautiful all around skating, and her being pushed down to bronze thanks to Sotgate pissed me off even more than the controversy of Kim losing. That and perhaps worst of all, even if it probably would have no impact on the medalists regardless, Mao's historic LP dumped to 3rd or 4th in that phase with the 6th highest PCS. Joke joke.

The most absurd thing of all are the ridiculous Sotbots who claim the only people who disagree with the result are "Yu Na bots". ROOOOTTTTTFFFFFFLLLLL delusional freaking retards those Snotbots.

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
I am actually unbiased and here is how I scored the ladies

1. Carolina
2. Yuna
3. GRACIE
4. Sotnikova

Just curious why you have Gracie beating Sotnikova. IMO they would be quite close in the points with fair scoring, but I imagine Sotnikova just nips ahead. She was a bit cleaner, she had a stumble and a jump combo that should have been called < but Gracie had a fall and a couple other shaky landings in the long program. In the short Sotnikova was super clean while Gold barely held onto a couple of her jumps, but had a much harder jump combo. It would be close, especialy since Gold deserves higher PCS than Sotnikova, but Sotnikova would probably nip the bronze on higher TES here.

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
Kostner's comeback is amazing so far. I honestly never expected her to break up a Russian sweep at Europeans no matter who they sent, or be looking as solid as she is. If she ups her technical content a bit she can maybe be on the world podium for a 7th time. If she wants to beat Medvedeva next season though she had better start doing triple lutz-triple toe, 2 triple lutzes, triple flip-triple toe, all in each program, and be super consistent like she never has to build up the kind of reputation points Med. is now getting.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Just curious why you have Gracie beating Sotnikova. IMO they would be quite close in the points with fair scoring, but I imagine Sotnikova just nips ahead. She was a bit cleaner, she had a stumble and a jump combo that should have been called < but Gracie had a fall and a couple other shaky landings in the long program. In the short Sotnikova was super clean while Gold barely held onto a couple of her jumps, but had a much harder jump combo. It would be close, especialy since Gold deserves higher PCS than Sotnikova, but Sotnikova would probably nip the bronze on higher TES here.

Ive always had Gracie ahead...

The thing that still stands out in my mind is Sotnikova botch on the 3 jump combination (it was just squeaking out jumps for the sake of squeaking out jumps), not good on SS if you ask me. and I think I scored Gracie higher on PCS across the board.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I am actually unbiased and here is how I scored the ladies

1. Carolina
2. Yuna
3. GRACIE
4. Sotnikova
And yet, fans judging never determines the outcomes. Strange how that happens that fans are so much better than the people who actually judge events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information