The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
It is odd. Plus not to show up as a coach somewhere, somehow, even if his health did not allow competitive skating.

bardtoob

If US Figure Skating is going to be this money grubbing, the least they can do is post old videos on ICENETWORK so that their paying subscribers can watch them!

I don't think it is money grubbing when many organizations (including profit, not for profit, and government) and individuals are broke.

vivika1982

Not sure if this is the right thread :confused: Something small i made the last few days about the coming Olympics.I know that not everyone likes montages but i just want to wish good luck to all wodreful skaters.I included few clips from the competitions because i believe we will see the best one soon. I hope you'll enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA8rDGyRZy4

Lissa

Does anyone have the BBC Euro coverage of the V&M gold medal skate?
I really want to hear what Robin Cousins said about them?

I guess YT can't put it up yet right?:confused:

jl22aries

Dittos. I wonder if we can set up codes here for youtube vids such that they aren't found under the skaters names. I'd love to see ANY of the eurosport coverage.

IoanaC

I watched the BBC2 coverage of the Free Dance. Robin Cousins was totally exhilarated by Tessa and Scott's gold, I've rarely heard such high praises from a commentator. He said it was the highlight of these Olympics for him and one of the most beautiful moments that he has ever witnessed in his career. He compared Tessa/Scott to Torvill/Dean and said that "the Canadians have found their Bolero". He was also delighted with how Davis/White skated and praised them as well. I absolutely loved his commentary.
I really hope we'll be able to see clips from the competition on YouTube... soon !

TalentedButHumble

Does anyone know where I can find vid of JoRo's "Summertime" exhibition. (Not the later SP.) I was mentioning it on another board but couldn't find any example to link to, on youtube or anywhere. TIA for help.

canbelto

I had never seen this M&D gem before, from the 1990 Worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPTvLQ8_mw

So many things to love: the beautiful arch of the classic death spiral. Natalia's head seems to be close to touching the ice. Natalia's beautiful, centered, fast spins (Artur couldn't keep up). Their spirals. The lovely, understated elegance of the program. Love, love, love, and at the same time puts me in a million depressions that we will never see a skater like Natalia M. again.:(

snowbird

At Euros in Sofia 1991 M/D did CanCan as an SP. Afterward, the judges advised them against using that program again and they never did. I tried for years to get a tape of it but was never successful.

orbitz

Tamara used Swan Lake for all of her top Russian pairs. B&S were the best at it though.

canbelto

From the sublime to the ridiculous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbHonxvC9E

Is this the worst eligible G&G program ever made? Has to go under the "wtf were they thinking?" file. I've also never seen Katia fall out of a death spiral, and for them to skate so sluggishly. I don't think we ever saw this monstrosity again.

pollyanna

From the sublime to the ridiculous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbHonxvC9E

Is this the worst eligible G&G program ever made? Has to go under the "wtf were they thinking?" file. I've also never seen Katia fall out of a death spiral, and for them to skate so sluggishly. I don't think we ever saw this monstrosity again.

Weeell, they did skate this program once again at 1990 Worlds, still wearing "unlucky" green, but no mistakes this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzEq-m-xIq8

The costumes are pretty darn wtf.

Shallwedance

I'd heard of that program but never seen it before, canbelto, so thanks for the link.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad to me, and I'd read it was horrific. I guess contemporary pairs performances make me see that as a "textbook execution of the elements" minus a couple of glitches (the jump problem and the death spiral). Of course they weren't competing against our contemporary pairs, but the likes of M&D, I guess, and should not have been able to afford those mistakes.

You know what I really respect there? The game face. I've seen pairs this year where, when an error happens, it's all over the skater's face and body. Katia absolutely refuses to acknowledge error and continues on with resolute attack; so does Sergei.

As to the clip of M&D - Artur was the big personality and showman, but Natalia was something else. I don't think K&D came anywhere close to Artur and Natalia. She had a wonderful presence on the ice - absolute composure, almost placid, but beautiful carriage and energy throughout her body, and of course, those boneless limbs.

canbelto

I'd heard of that program but never seen it before, canbelto, so thanks for the link.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad to me, and I'd read it was horrific. I guess contemporary pairs performances make me see that as a "textbook execution of the elements" minus a couple of glitches (the jump problem and the death spiral). Of course they weren't competing against our contemporary pairs, but the likes of M&D, I guess, and should not have been able to afford those mistakes.

You know what I really respect there? The game face. I've seen pairs this year where, when an error happens, it's all over the skater's face and body. Katia absolutely refuses to acknowledge error and continues on with resolute attack; so does Sergei.

As to the clip of M&D - Artur was the big personality and showman, but Natalia was something else. I don't think K&D came anywhere close to Artur and Natalia. She had a wonderful presence on the ice - absolute composure, almost placid, but beautiful carriage and energy throughout her body, and of course, those boneless limbs.

Besides the weird mistakes (falling out of the death spiral) I think the choreography, especially those arm movements, looks like a junior high prom. Sergei especially looks uncomfortable doing a spiral sequence while swinging his arms like that. And the way they lift their arms to the last "HUH" looks so awkward. I think later in their career Katia and Sergei were more accustomed to the skate-dance mix, but in 1990 they definitely weren't.

I hated the commentary for M&D at the beginning. "They are wonderful spinners." What a weak compliment.:shuffle: But I love Natalia's wonderful lines, and the fact that she didn't have the ideal figure skating body, but when she skates I barely notice it. I also love her soft stroking compared to Artur's heavier stroking. I just love the contrast of this team, and the greatness that resulted.

skatesindreams

It should be remembered that Katia seemed to be maturing into her adult figure at that time. (She was 18)?
I believe that it was a considerable adjustment for them; and affected each of their elements, at least to some degree.

canbelto

Ok here's a "cute" short program with similar type music that worked very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNSxm6I8trw

Bechke and Petrov were one of the most underrated teams. They had great unison on the spins, very inventive spirals, a lovely death spiral, and great lifts. The only thing they kind of lacked was speed, consistency, and power on the throws. Bechke was never able to get much height or distance in either her throw triple twists or throw triples.

Here's their LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8cZW3_dHbw&feature=related

Shallwedance

I think Bechke and Petrov really blossomed as show skaters. They had a couple of programs that were popular and effective, and they both had audience appeal as pros. I know they were divorced when they were doing show skating, but their affectionate friendship never seemed to waver and was part of their harmony together as pros. I once saw a video clip of Bechke mentioning how she and Denis would compare themselves to G&G, how they loved each other too, but couldn't approximate the same beauty. I was so glad things were different for them as pros, from what I've seen.

Side note - in the past couple of years I've watched a lot more B&S than G&G and had concluded that while B&S didn't have as many textbook executions on elements as G&G, in other respects they were sort of G&G reloaded - more powerful, faster, deeper edging, incredible spirals. Then I took a look again at G&G and I may have to rethink that. Sergei was X&**&% POWERFUL. He was so musical, so calm (these days a sort of overt emoting, face acting, and a tiny bit of hot dogging seem popular to connote talent), so palpably intelligent and masculine/mature on the ice. What a leader. He knew the value of understatement. He's absolutely fascinating to watch because of his power and speed. You see the speed and power, "hear" the silent blades, but every gesture seems so calm, so controlled, as if he has all the time in the world to give them their full measure. I don't think he was capable of seeming frenzied or wild, yet the speed (and yet economy - nothing wasted) at which he moved was unbelieveable. I was really surprised. I guess in my memory I'd assigned G&G the role as fast "for their time" and powerful "for their time". I know some elements were not as difficult as today's - doubles instead of triples, double axel the most difficult sbs jump, no need to land the split 3 twist with arms above your head, etc. But, taking nothing against from B&S, whom I just adore, I guess I was surprised to see that G&G's speed and power appears to, IMO, match theirs and more.

CaptCrunch

Regarding G/G; IMO their worst performance as eligibles came at 1986 Skate Canada in the LP. Definitely worse than that SP at 1990 Euros.

pollyanna

Bechke and Petrov were one of the most underrated teams. They had great unison on the spins, very inventive spirals, a lovely death spiral, and great lifts. The only thing they kind of lacked was speed, consistency, and power on the throws. Bechke was never able to get much height or distance in either her throw triple twists or throw triples.

Here's their LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8cZW3_dHbw&feature=related

This LP was one of the Albertville highlights for me in figure skating. The best, the most emotional they ever skated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information