The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

floskate

Vacant
what makes the split falling leaf harder than the russian one?

I would have thought because it comes from an edge take off rather than a toe (flip take off really on a Russian split but usually approached from a mohawk entrance rather than a 3-turn). Although you can do Russian splits into a landing on a rbo or lbo edge making them split flips which are obviously more difficult to do. Paul Wylie used to do 2 Russian splits into a split flip. Split lutzes and even split toe loops have also been done.

bardtoob

:rolleyes: He is not talking about "American" VS "Russian" split jumps as if it has to do with school of skating or nationality. In fact, he is not even talking about the jumps per se. He is talking about air position (acrobatic position).

During Russian Splits jump the toes of both legs are pointed upward while the head is facing towards the outside of the circle (straddle position) while in the air.

During Split Falling Leaf jump the forward toe is pointed upward and back toe is pointed to the side (turned out) while the head is facing towards the curve of the circle while in the air.

bbkenn

Warming up for Kwanita's return to the ice, I've been revisiting some of her old performances, and I've come to realize her Red Violin at the 1999 SA pwns her Worlds-winning version in every way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEc3ngl6JhA

Aside from the fall on the flip and the troubled loop, this program is near perfection. Such flow, such gentleness. This program may contain the best 3T-3T ever performed (don't ever say Kwanita couldn't jump with height!), as well as the best ever 3S.

Oh, and the chic short 'do plus Sarah Hughes' awestruck look in reaction to Kwanita's performance are just extras. :)

Thanks so much. That was a fabulous program.

orbitz

what makes the split falling leaf harder than the russian one?

They're both hard :), but with the Russian split, you have the aid of the toe-picks picking into the ice to lift you into the air. With the split falling leaf, all the power lifting you into the air is coming from your skating leg on an outside edge. It's almost like getting into the split position after jumping up on two feet (the Russian split) vs. trying to get into the split position after jumping up from one leg only (falling leaf). Just try to do this on the ground and you'll feel the difference.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
thanks for the youtube link on Michelle - I actually don't think I have seen that one before?? She was so smooth and really made me appreciate her special talent..

zilam98

They're both hard :), but with the Russian split, you have the aid of the toe-picks picking into the ice to lift you into the air. With the split falling leaf, all the power lifting you into the air is coming from your skating leg on an outside edge. It's almost like getting into the split position after jumping up on two feet (the Russian split) vs. trying to get into the split position after jumping up from one leg only (falling leaf). Just try to do this on the ground and you'll feel the difference.

thanks for this simple but very informative description. ;)

Michael O'C

Aussiewilly or anyone else from downunder, do you have any info on this next skater? It's only a brief snippet but still....

1956 Worlds - Charles Keeble AUS LP (16th)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptXOhwxhtfE

I have some information on Charles. I asked Janet Santer from OzSkater Magazine (great magazine) who contacted Wendy Langton (you may have heard her name as a judge at Worlds) who then contaced Frank Parsons (former skater, judge and coach). Frank knew Charlie and skated at the same time.

Here are some of Charlie's results:

1956 - 7th British championships

16th Olympics
16th Worlds

1957 - 17th Worlds

1958 - 23rd Worlds

Charlie retired around then. While training in the U.S. he had worked at the Broadmoor Hotel and moved into the hotel business. He managed the Southern Cross Hotel in Melbourne ( a top hotel then at least) and other hotels around the world. Frank says that Charlie passed away some years ago.

Thanks very much to Janet, Wendy and Frank.

floskate

Vacant
I have some information on Charles. I asked Janet Santer from OzSkater Magazine (great magazine) who contacted Wendy Langton (you may have heard her name as a judge at Worlds) who then contaced Frank Parsons (former skater, judge and coach). Frank knew Charlie and skated at the same time.

Here are some of Charlie's results:

1956 - 7th British championships

16th Olympics
16th Worlds

1957 - 17th Worlds

1958 - 23rd Worlds

Charlie retired around then. While training in the U.S. he had worked at the Broadmoor Hotel and moved into the hotel business. He managed the Southern Cross Hotel in Melbourne ( a top hotel then at least) and other hotels around the world. Frank says that Charlie passed away some years ago.

Thanks very much to Janet, Wendy and Frank.

WOW, thank you so much for going to so much trouble for me. It's always interesting to hear what happened to skaters. I was perhaps hoping he would still be alive to be able to see the clip but perhaps he has descendants who will discover it. Again, thanks so much for your help. :) :respec:

floskate

Vacant
Here's a rare 1928 film reel I had converted of Sonja Henie. I presume it was a Pathescope reel that was played in cinemas after her 1928 Olympic victory, but it was also made available to the general public to buy. Great footage of her skating outdoors with gorgeous scenery. She was only 15 here:

Sonja Henie - The Pavlova of the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtchjj8srpM

Enjoy!

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
King of the Russian Splits:Toller Cranston
Back in the day, Uncle Dick had a pretty fine Russian split jump. And I'd say he was a good judge of whether a split falling leaf jump was more difficult of the two, since it appears that he did both.
Kween of the Split Falling Leaf: Michelle Kwan ;)
No argument from me that Kwan was the Kween of the split falling leaf. :)
Here's one from 2004 Worlds gala
And another from her 2003 LP (not sure if Nationals or Worlds)
A couple from 2002 SLC Olys -- practice and free skate
For years, this one from her EoE SP at 2001 Worlds was my favorite pic, even if the image was tiny and it cropped off her trailing foot.
Eight and a half years later and after hip surgery, the Kween still retains her form. :respec:

BTW, :respec: to you for posting all those wonderful video clips -- I haven't had time to view them all (being away from the computer for nearly two weeks), but THANK YOU!

skatesindreams

Back in the day, Uncle Dick had a pretty fine Russian split jump. And I'd say he was a good judge of whether a split falling leaf jump was more difficult of the two, since it appears that he did both.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of Mr. Button; lest we forget what a great skater/champion he was.

Fergus

And that's the 1956 Worlds!! What's been so great about posting these is I have already had requests for footage from Frances Dafoe's son and Kurt Oppelt's son. It's so important that we can give back to the skaters who haven't seen this footage since they first skated it. I hope you enjoy these rare glimpses into the past.

So now that we have seen a large chunk of S/O's & D/B's LPs from Cortina, any thoughts/comments/opinions re: the controversial judging of that comp?

S/O seemed to have the edge on shadow skating, but D/B's abilities as a pair was insane, their feet were SO close together.....and those edges! :swoon: Amazing how deep they were in the knee.

:watch:

Also: The Worlds '56 clips clearly showed that Albright looked tired and a bit worn-out (and totally understandable considering the stress she must have gone through at the Olympics in conjunction with her injury), but Heiss was just a dynamo! She's like the original definition of "spunky"!

Geh

Live in Guardian Angel
There is an early footage of Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder in the 1995 world Junior championship. This competition was presented on Radio-Canada with french commentary (Benoît Lavoie of Skate Canada is the commentator!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEa9hF14tE

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Is the Orlova the one now skating with Jost :eek:

What happened to Chickov? Why did the partnership break up?

And she wasn't exactly one for the extended leg and pointy toe at 16, was she?

OrioleBeagle

AARROOOO!!!
Thanks to U.S. Figure Skating, many skating fans accounts have been shut down :(

If US Figure Skating is going to be this money grubbing, the least they can do is post old videos on ICENETWORK so that their paying subscribers can watch them!

Last edited:

snowbird

Is the Orlova the one now skating with Jost :eek:

What happened to Chickov? Why did the partnership break up?

And she wasn't exactly one for the extended leg and pointy toe at 16, was she?

The Orlova from the clip is listed as M. Orlova. Jost skates with Olga Orlova. M. Orlova would be 40 years old or so now.

In her autobio Oksana says that her partnership with Chickov ended because he had health problems.
It's odd for a World Jr. Champion to just disappear and not hook up with another partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information