The Adam Rippon Good News Thread

Sylvia

TBD
Adam will perform for the first time as a regular cast member of U.S. Stars on Ice (announced on Feb. 8): https://www.facebook.com/starsonice...10101600935/10153299165610936/?type=3&theater

Benji Schwimmer worked with him on a new show program to Coldplay's "O" ( https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/694389143418179584 ) and Adam debuted the program in NYC's Bryant Park rink on Feb. 5 - fan cam video filmed rinkside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiwbcBhXFB8

New article:
At Age 26, U.S. Figure Skating Champ Adam Rippon Thinks His Best Is Yet To Come
By Lynn Rutherford | 2/11/2016 6:45:31 PM
http://teamusa.org/News/2016/Februa...mp-Adam-Rippon-Thinks-His-Best-Is-Yet-To-Come
... “I have a little PTSD hangover from nationals,” Rippon said before a performance at New York City’s Bryant Park last week. “I’ll panic, and then I’ll wake up and think, ‘Oh, it didn’t happen.’ And it did happen.”

“It feels surreal, but I think that’s good, because it keeps me hungry within my training,” he added. “I’ll celebrate in the offseason.”
The desire to amp up his training prompted Rippon to withdraw from the 2016 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, to be held in Taipei City on Feb. 16-21.

“Rafael thought I needed the time to rest,” Rippon said. “He knows how much I wanted to be national champion. He felt a lot of energy was put into that, and he really needed me to refocus and be at my best for the world championships in Boston.”

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Something that has been completely glossed over that absolutely should not be: Adam is only the second ever gay champion to win while out, after Rudy Galindo. So proud of him!
And that matters because? It's a figure skating competition. One's orientation should have nothing to do with the results. Or has it in the past and only in more recent years the USFSA is more open to skaters of all types? I remember seeing Galindo win - no questions there that he was THE men's champion.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
And that matters because? It's a figure skating competition. One's orientation should have nothing to do with the results. Or has it in the past and only in more recent years the USFSA is more open to skaters of all types? I remember seeing Galindo win - no questions there that he was THE men's champion.

Maybe this was misunderstood, DreamSkates? I agree with BronwynSings, and I think it matters, and I too am proud of Adam. Adam has said that one of the reasons that he came out was that, it would be inspirational for him as a child to see athletes that were out. If just one skating child takes comfort in Adam's decision to be out and proud, and that as such, Adam is our national champion, then Adam has done a world of good, and good for him.:respec:

This should never be mistaken, or diverted, into a discussion as to whether identity influences results. We FS fans have enough to argue about without taking that into account :D

bronwynsings

el henry, you took the words out of my mouth. :) The actual results don't matter, on a personal level, it matters.

DreamSkates

"Types" is hardly the best word.
I believe that is fair to say that, until recently; skaters may have been tacitly "encouraged" to keep their preference private.

Significant change, then, with the Skating Spectacular after Nationals. The USFSA embracing all people.
Apologize about the use of "types".

arakwafan2006

Good... Very good

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Marco

It would be cruel if the U.S men place all 3 in the top 10 and still don't qualify 3 spots.

Cruel it is. All 3 skated the best they could, and the caller even helped, making the quad UR instead of DG. Still they are 1 spot short of keeping the 3rd spot for next year.

But guess what, with all the quad talk, it's Adam, who didn't even land a clean quad in competition here, who placed the highest amongst US men. Suck it Phil Hersh!

Jun Y

More than landing all his jumps, Rippon looked relaxed and like he was enjoying skating his free. He was flirting with the crowd once he got past the first few jumping passes. It was lovely to see live. He was performing while still executing his technical elements. So much improvement in such a short time.

Last edited:

screech

More than landing all his jumps, Rippon looked relaxed and like he was enjoying skating his free. He was flirting with the crowd once he got past the first few jumping passes. It was lovely to see live. He was performing while still executing his technical elements. So much improvement in such a short time.
I loved that he was engaging the crowd, encouraging them to cheer and flirting with him, yet somehow it didn't seem over the top and disruptive to the program like it does with others. Maybe it was the music, or just the overall atmosphere, but I loved it. I had a smile on my face the entire time.

petro

Adam's whole demeanor this season, and especially after winning Nationals, has been so refreshing and good to see. He was always such a nervy and inconsistent skater before, but he just looks so confident and at Worlds I felt like I could just sit back and enjoy his fantastic performances without being nervous. I hope he can take this newfound belief in himself and keep it going next season! And maybe get the quad toe? In any case just seeing him really ENJOY skating this season has been a joy to watch. Bravo, Adam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information