1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Technique progress and several questions;)

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by SmallFairy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. SmallFairy

SmallFairy #teamtrainwreck #vladmorosovsfreckles #teamjapan

Sorry for long post ahead! I still loving skating so much, the first crazy crush of lessons and new pro skates has not faded off, now I'm just sort of desperate, as there's almost no ice, and our class has ended for the season. Hence, I'm practicing on my own. I'm really encouraged by all the nice words from you guys in here, the adult figure skating community truly is a nice place to be.

On the ice, I'm moving forward, but I also face lots of obsticles. I really need some coaching now, but lucikly there's only a month till our adult weekend camp, and before that I've signed up for my club's so called "Spring ice". I don't really know how it works yet, but it looks like it's me and the kids on Saturdays. That will be fun!

I'm using Youtube technique videos and I'm working on my 3 turns, the forward ones are still hard, but I'm slowly getting better on them. I can to do counters and I'm learning inside brackets on my own. My waltz jump feels really safe and stable, my 1 salchow also, but I'm struggling with my 1 toe loop, I feel I'm mostly turning on the ice. We have also worked on mohawks, waltz steps, power pulls++ I'm also trying to just work on the edges, get them stable, especially backwards, but I do have some questions now, after trying to get better on all these things for a while:

1. When I try to hold an edge, I sometimes loose control or it feels wobbly, especially backwards. Am I not pushing/pressing hard enough with my foot? Am I not using my foot/ankle enough? I can only do a bracket on my right foot, the left is useless (but it's my best for outside three turns). Does it also require more pushing?

2. In general I lack core strenght and I realise my body is not used to having the core checked at all time. How do you work out off ice? How often? I've started going to the gym again, after just doing dance for fun for a while, but I've never been muscle fit. I'm also doing ballett online, do you have any good linkes?

3. How flexible can a girl possibly become at 39, from not being very flexible at all? :lol: I'm working on that too, stretching, but any good tips is appreciated.

4. Any good tips on gaining speed in spins? I'm only doing a two foot upright spin yet, and I can do the entrance, but then I'm afraid of gaining more speed, I sort of just stop. More core, more holding tight? Do you use paddings in your tights? I'm thinking that will make me be more daring, also in jumps.

Thanks to anyone who finds the time to give advice!

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

You can certainly become more flexible than you are now. I read a study recently that showed even very elderly people can improve things like strength, flexibility and balance, so at a mere age 39, you have plenty of ability to improve these things.

My coach tells me that things like three turns and brackets are easier to do if you have more speed into them. Doesn't mean I put more speed into them... :lol:

3. overedge

overedge Janny uber

This is something that you really need to ask a coach. It's hard to say what the problem is without being able to see you do it in real time.

Would you be able to get some advice from a personal trainer? Even if you could have just one session and tell him or her what you want to achieve, that could give you some really good information to work with about how often to go to the gym and what to do there.

Re ballet, IME YouTube videos are most useful for people who have taken ballet classes already in real life, and can follow the video because they know what a ballet class is like. You can get into some really bad habits in ballet without an in-person teacher to correct you - and you also can learn so much from watching other people in the class. If you can go to ballet classes, I think they would be much more helpful to you.

Keep stretching. I'm not very flexible either and never have been, but stretching helps me do what I can do.

If you're afraid of gaining speed, then don't try to gain speed! Go into the spin and go at the speed that you feel comfortable with. It might be realllllly slow, but as you get accustomed to it, you can push yourself to go faster. You can gain speed by pushing harder on the entrance, and then by pulling your arms in tighter as you rotate. Think about pulling your arms across, rather than "up", because if you pull your shoulders up when you pull your arms in, it might be more difficult to balance and hold your center.

I've never worn pads in my tights. I honestly don't think they're necessary unless you're working on axels or double/triple jumps.

4. bladesofgorey

bladesofgorey Active Member

Returning adult here.

Quick answer re your last question-

for spins, it helps to feel as though you are pulling up from your navel to the top of your head, and down from your navel through your leg(s). And pulling your navel in toward your back. If I think of just pulling in tightly I get uncentered and usually tense too much or lean two far back.

Once I started jumping again (just singles so far) I was being much too timid and failing to correct things I knew were wrong in order to avoid falling. It's pretty difficult to progress if falling is a fear, so I am now wearing these:

http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/P...ngShorts.htm?gclid=COqBoMzRsdMCFYaIswodGsAGlg

(very expensive, got them cheaper elsewhere, but they really work for me)

and these for my knees:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ecom_PLA_452&gclid=CIuLo_rRsdMCFZVXDQodPR0L5Q

until I get a lot of practice falling again in ways that won't injure me. The padding has really helped me skate a little more aggressively with better form. I'll ditch the padding once I'm back working on axels/easy doubles and landing them with some regularity or at least not falling Pogo style (hopefully by next year)

5. pp55

pp55 Active Member

Overedge is right “ It's hard to say what the problem is without being able to see you do it in real time.”.

Basically it’s about how much control you have over your body. Can you control and separate movements of your upper body from your lower part?

You are working on your 3-turns. When doing 3-turns are you able to “prepare” your upper body by twisting your upper body in advance and then turning/twisting your hips to do the 3-turn and still maintaining control/separation of your upper and lower body?

Wobbling comes from your body not from the skate or foot.
    Overall you need “soft knee”.
    Possible exercise: while gliding on 1 foot do slight knee bend, bend, bend, 3-turn, bend, bend, bend.

And now back to overedge’s response. :)

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I am a big believer in using pilates to help build core strength and stretch. This is one of the better videos online (first 10 minutes), but as others have mentioned if you could go to a class or at least work out a few times with someone who's more advanced that would definitely help as well http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3fvbuo_10-minute-solution-pilates-for-abs_sport.

Some of these exercises can be modified to include more or less of an area you need to focus on (i.e, more scissors if you want to try and work on flexibility for splits/spirals, less back curls if you tweaked a muscle)

I also try to steer clear of pads. Have enough mental blocks when it comes to trying harder jumps as is. Don't need to add in "oh, but I don't have my pads, what if I fall?" to my 12-step competition freaking out routine :p. However, in case you don't think you would risk becoming co-dependent on them, it would help when you are working on harder jumps further on down the road.

7. SmallFairy

SmallFairy #teamtrainwreck #vladmorosovsfreckles #teamjapan

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and help, specific exercises and your own experiences, it's really appreciated!!!

I realize some problems is hard to solve online. Tomorrow I will thankfully get some coaching again, together with the kids. I will ask her about my edge issues. I am trying to control my body/core and check the shoulders in the right positions when required, but it's something I really need to work on.

I will try to take it easy on my spins and gradually build speed. That makes very much sense. It's also interesting to read about your experiences with padding. Thank you!

When it comes to off ice I'm really encouraged about your experiences. I go to the gym, they have lots of group lessons, including pilates, I've tried it once, and I will defintiely try to make it a regular routine. I will also seriously consider taking on a personal trainer for an hour or two. I'm doing group lessons with strenght as a start.

For ballet I did two ballet for adult-semesters last year, but I haven't been able to afford it this year (all money went into skating and my new flat:lol:) so now I'm doing it online. I really enjoy it and I hope to be able to take lessons this year. My boyfriend is a handy bloke, and made me a portable ballet barre to use at home:D

Again, thank you all! Hope the lesson tomorrow will be good, so I can share some progress and reports with you:)

overedge, ioana and bladesofgorey like this.
  8. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

If you are having trouble holding an edge, it is most likely that your head and shoulders are not in the correct position and it's also quite likely that you are dropping the free hip instead of lifting it.
    Getting a faster spin is a function of several factors that have nothing to do with building up speed before the spin:
    (1) deep knee bend on the entrance edge,
    (2) holding the entrance edge long enough to let it curl tighter before starting the spin,
    (3)a very extended free leg on the entrance edge and after you hook the spin,
    (4) a tight core with your weight aligned over the hip of the spinning side,
    (5) open arms and free leg that you can use to harness centrifugal force and pull in to increase speed (for an upright spin)