1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Studies as to how people make -- or not make -- decisions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Sep 28, 2010.

1. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Thought-provoking, at least

Why So Many People Can't Make Decisions

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703694204575518200704692936.html

---------------------

April 25, 2010
    Decisions, Decisions . . .
    It May Not Sound Rational, But Experts Say Emotions and Gut Feelings Are More Important Than Intellect in Making Choices

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/25/sunday/main6430448.shtml

I've noticed that at work...customers overwhelmed with options, which prompts them to delay purchasing the product in order to "think about it". :wall:

I also remember going to a cafe years ago with a man who defected from the Soviet Union and we were looking at the menu of teas and coffees. "So many little decisions here in America EVERY day :yikes: ". Yes, there is definitely a downside to so many options.

2. KatieC

KatieC So peaceful

I know that I can find better books at a small library than at a big city one. It takes too long to find the good ones amongst the overwhelming shelves.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

I like to think about it. Because if the thing I saw is still in my mind after half an hour and I can think of very good reasons to go back and buy it, then that is going to influence my decision making.

Unless they are a pair of jeans or pants that fit perfectly first time and look good, and having been someone who has trouble finding things like that to fit, then I will usually get them. Because I know that I am going to wear them and they won't be wasted.

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Yeah my art instructors always said that when you work with clients, just provide 3 options. You can weed out the crappy ones while you brainstorm by yourself, but when it comes to decision-time with the client, only lay out your 3 best ones. Otherwise they'll get overwhelmed. :lol:

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

6. Prancer

Prancer Slave to none, master to all Staff Member

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The description about the person who sees the world in shades of gray is totally describing me! I can never ever make a decision, just ask my boyfriend! I can also talk myself out of anything, even something that I think I feel strongly about. Creepy but I think I prefer to see the world in shades of gray rather than only black and white.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

I was talking about my college experience in the other thread, and one of the things I had an issue with was the endless choices of courses at a large university. I was overwhelmed all right.

My gut instinct was right at the time--I wanted to go to a smaller state U (though I ended up not going).