1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Starr Andrews

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Philly2034, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady Well-Known Member

How is Star with an extra r doing?

3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I hope Andrews keeps at it.

5. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

She is just training this year and not competing.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I thought she'd never get anywhere judging on her jumps in that famous YT video but I see she can do a 2axel. Nice. I hope she keeps at it. :)

7. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Starr Andrews was 6th at 2016 Novice US Nationals. Appears she's transitioning to Juniors this year, competing at Glacier Falls last month winning Group B (Sylvia posted the video on unseenskaters)

Whoever is managing her twitter is on point - 12,000+ followers is impressive.

ETA: Should this go in Trash Can?

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

9. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Congrats on your US Junior silver medal Starr Andrews!

Hope she gets some Junior Grand Prix assignments next season.

10. DimaToe

DimaToe El Chen-te Fernández

I hope she is part of the conversation in seniors, her performance quality is just so good! :D

Coco likes this.
  11. catcritter

catcritter New Member

Starr original goal was to become a Senior next year so she could compete in the Olympics. Does anyone know if she gets to go to the Junior World Championship?

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

They usually choose from age-eligible skaters from the senior ranks.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

We have discussion about the potential U.S. ladies for Junior Worlds here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/2017-us-ladies-world-junior-team-poll.100430/

The Ice Musings blog published an interview with Starr Andrews before Nationals :): http://icemusings.com/blog/andrews-ready-to-shine-in-kansas-city/

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

Bumping up this thread (in case @catcritter ever returns here) with today's news that Starr Andrews has been given a great opportunity to compete at Junior Worlds in Taipei later this month as the first alternate (due to Amber Glenn's withdrawal).

Her 2017 Nationals videos:
    Pink Panther SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88H2IIbpk5k
    Black Swan FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTBy4fp2BA
    Derrick Delmore and Peter Kongkasem are the coaches who were with her in Kansas City.

Last month Starr was one of the skaters invited by the Ice Theatre of New York to perform at the Rockefeller Center rink on February 15 in honor of Black History Month.

Photo of Starr being interviewed by Nick McCarvel: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/831928843166420994
    A clip from her performance: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQjAn_FlVZN/

Here's a full video of this program -- "What about Angels" by Birdy, choreographed by Andrews' coach, Derrick Delmore -- from a December 2016 holiday show in San Diego: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QTISNhqcXo

ITNY honors Black History Month
    02/23/17 | 00:06:49
    Rohene Ward, Derrick Delmore, Starr Andrews and the Ice Theatre of New York pay tribute to Black History Month with a performance at The Rink at Rockefeller Center (their interviews with Nick McCarvel are in this video): http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1225266883

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  15. aftershocks

Congrats to Starr for getting the wonderful opportunity to compete at Junior Worlds. I'm so glad she has a chance to compete on this important international world stage at the age of 15! Keep going for your dreams, Starr! :cheer2: I remember when her coach, Derrick Delmore, won Junior Worlds in 1998.

I love both of Starr's competitive programs, and her What About Angels exhibition is so lovely! :)

16. DimaToe

DimaToe El Chen-te Fernández

I'm sorry for Glenn's withdrawal but my opinion since early in the season was that Andrews should go to jr worlds so I'm glad to see it happen and I hope she makes the most of the experience :cheer:

Coco, paskatefan, alj5 and 2 others like this.
  17. StitchMonkey

StitchMonkey Well-Known Member

... well this turned out to be a timely comparison.

18. barbarafan

barbarafan Well-Known Member

Interesting.

paskatefan likes this.
  19. Frida80

Frida80 Active Member

Hmm... I'll take the performance comparison. But unless she bust out with 3As and 4S in 2018/2019, I'll hold off on the Nathan/Starr comparisons.

20. aftershocks

:lol: :huh: :yikes: :COP: :cheer2: :p

I think Starr just need to stay on course with progressive development, strategic training, effectively challenging herself and listening to her coach, and she will continue to make steady progress toward stardom which hopefully means above all, achieving her personal goals and dreams. :D

Continuing to refine and polish, gain strength and further hone her above average skills should do it -- i.e., balancing her triples and 3/3 with exploring and fine-tuning a variety of combo jumps, entrances, transitions, while working on her already lovely performance qualities. I would not over-think 3-axel at this point in her development. Forget about training quads. I personally do not want to see any junior ladies training quads. Let them walk and learn the fine points of strutting, running and mastering blade skills, before they attempt rocket launching!

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Chen will never catch up to Andrews when it comes to YouTube views, though.

22. Frida80

Frida80 Active Member

I wasn't saying she should start training quads or 3A. I was saying that right now the way to be properly compared to Nathan as a woman is to have insane tech that no one or hardly anyone is doing.

I think Starr and Nathan are both great, though.

23. aftershocks

^^ I took your joking hyperbole, and I raised the ante. :p :lol:

I'm sure the comparison made between Starr and Nathan was not meant quad-literally. :yikes: :drama:

Junior ladies performing 3/3s and difficult combinations is nearly the equivalent of junior guys performing 3-axels and making a foray into quads. Physically males develop differently than females, so making direct technical comparisons is unwieldy. Plus, Nathan is now in seniors and is two years older than Starr who is a junior lady. I think the comparison that was made was more about their competitive grit and personal breakthroughs in their respective disciplines.

As far as figure skating, the sport hasn't put any focus on trying to understand the limits of what athletes can do, much less trying to assist them in safely stretching their limits, whether male or female. But let's be careful not to denigrate females vs males in any sport.

24. Frida80

Frida80 Active Member

I'm sure it wasn't at the time. It was made in 2013, a season before Starr would compete again and years before Nathan landed his first quad.

Of course your right. Starr just needs to stay focused on her on technique, transitions and hone her performance skills. Derrick has been a good coach. It does bug me girls start to train quads when their jumps, spins, skating skills and performance could still use work.

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  25. aftershocks

That goes for skaters in general. However, I personally did not realize that young girls are being over-focused on training quads! :yikes:

26. Frida80

Frida80 Active Member

For a lot of them, it's just for fun. Some are serious. It's cute to see attempts though.

27. aftershocks

It seems to me that they should not be attempting quads unsupervised "just for fun." :scream:

Oh please, why can't the adults training these youngsters put the focus squarely back on developing blade skills, which is the key to mastering jump technique?! :drama:

paskatefan and AxelAnnie like this.
  28. Frida80

Frida80 Active Member

Lol. If you're taken lessons with kids, you know there is no stopping them from trying new things. When I took lessons as an adult, in the middle of the public ice were always 4-5 girls teaching each other spins, jumps, and new things above their level. I saw one girl teach herself an axel in one month. The sadly struggled with footwork portions of each level, though.

29. aftershocks

Hmmm, no stoppin' them I'm sure. But, TPTB surely need to start treating figure skating technical maneuvers as seriously dangerous as gymnastics maneuvers, with 'safety' and 'supervision' first!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    paskatefan likes this.
  30. Frida80

Frida80 Active Member

Out of the many hours kids spend on the ice, only a portion is directly supervised. Once they're unsupervised in a unpopulated session, they start trying new things.

Not only that but there are LOTS of young skaters that get injured doing other things off ice. One girl torn her Achilles' tendon playing soccer with friends, kept her off ice for most of the season. Kids are careless. Parents on the other hand should be more vigilant. Many record their child doing these things and encourage it.

paskatefan likes this.