Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

VGThuy

I actually do not know gk_891, but next time I go there, I can look out for it.

Here is the Shibs' newest vlog. This one is all about their week in Switzerland with Stephane Lambiel right after Worlds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz8p4S9f47s

In their livestream, they said they were able to piece some footage from their phones and other devices for this vlog. Hopefully, there will be more vlogs coming up despite their lost camera. Btw, Alex was a hilarious troll during their livestream.

I like the direction of this one as it comes off like a stream of consciousness.

gk_891

I actually do not know gk_891, but next time I go there, I can look out for it.

Here is the Shibs' newest vlog. This one is all about their week in Switzerland with Stephane Lambiel right after Worlds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz8p4S9f47s

In their livestream, they said they were able to piece some footage from their phones and other devices for this vlog. Hopefully, there will be more vlogs coming up despite their lost camera. Btw, Alex was a hilarious troll during their livestream.

I like the direction of this one as it comes off like a stream of consciousness.

Oh no worries. I've never even been to New York before but if I do go in the future, Pio Pio will definitely be a place I'll want to try.

I'll be interested to see the Shibs debut their competitive material. They had such nice programs in the last 2 seasons. I just hope they don't come up with their worst material in the Olympic year.

chapis

Oh no worries. I've never even been to New York before but if I do go in the future, Pio Pio will definitely be a place I'll want to try.

I'll be interested to see the Shibs debut their competitive material. They had such nice programs in the last 2 seasons. I just hope they don't come up with their worst material in the Olympic year.

:fragile:nooo!, touch wood.

I loved the vlog, It seems that they had a great time in their stay in Switzerland. The views are amazing. Stephane and Alex cooking :swoon:, and the iguana of Denis is so pretty. I was hoping that maybe they would show us some of the new program, at least the music, well, it will be a surprise :rollin:.

DreamsofBliss

Felt their livestream Saturday night really emphasized how much extra work they are putting in this season and how much they are trying to step up their game...or to me since that's what I was interested in! I hope so much it pays off!

chapis

Maia got 100,000 followers on instagram :40beers: :respec: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVlR3wBlNsL/?taken-by=maiashibutani. Very impressive considering that she is ice dancer and not world or olympic gold champion yet, and considering that she is not caucasian (I'm sorry but we all know how this works).
It just seems a little curious that she has 100,000 followers and Alex 82,000, why someone would follow Maia, but not Alex? :huh:

Last edited:

gk_891

Felt their livestream Saturday night really emphasized how much extra work they are putting in this season and how much they are trying to step up their game...or to me since that's what I was interested in! I hope so much it pays off!

It's nice to see that they are very willing to put in the work to do whatever they can to stay afloat. They started off with such a bang in 2011 but then they had such a dramatic drop in the rankings afterwards. I'm sure many other skaters would've given up. But they've decisively risen back up the ranks in a very admirable way. I'll be rooting for them to do well this upcoming season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Maia got 100,000 followers on instagram :40beers: :respec: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVlR3wBlNsL/?taken-by=maiashibutani. Very impressive considering that she is ice dancer and not world or olympic gold champion yet, and considering that she is not caucasian (I'm sorry but we all know how this works).
It just seems a little curious that she has 100,000 followers and Alex 82,000, why someone would follow Maia, but not Alex? :huh:

Hmmm, perhaps some of Maia's followers are not skating fans. And perhaps our lovely Quiet Assassin has a number of male admirers who enjoy following her more-so than they do Alex? Just a guess on my part. :D

VGThuy

Hmmm, perhaps some of Maia's followers are not skating fans. And perhaps our lovely Quiet Assassin has a number of male admirers who enjoy following her more-so than they do Alex? Just a guess on my part. :D

I suspect that's it. Alex has quite a following among Asian women and girls, but I've been noticing that Maia has a lot of male admirers. Plus pretty Asian girl, internet explains it. it is still quite an achievement for reasons already stated up thread.

It's nice to see that they are very willing to put in the work to do whatever they can to stay afloat. They started off with such a bang in 2011 but then they had such a dramatic drop in the rankings afterwards. I'm sure many other skaters would've given up. But they've decisively risen back up the ranks in a very admirable way. I'll be rooting for them to do well this upcoming season.

It is amazing how they bounced back the way that they did. After Sochi many were assuming they'd be passed over by the "younger" teams by now and that they'd quit skating. Considering how tough it is to gain favor in ice dance and how competitive this field is, it's incredible that the Shibs are still here and are two time national champions and won two World medals this quad and have had the success that they did. It certainly did not come easily.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It certainly did not come easily.

Yes, their success in recent years has been hard-won, not because they don't have a ton of talent, but because it is so difficult battling at the top. And also because of the enormous political backlash they received for winning bronze at Worlds in their debut senior season.

The level of talent in ice dance in the U.S. also makes the journey difficult. But OTOH, the Shibs are so amazingly talented that they have medaled 12 straight years at U.S. Nationals. That's surely a rare accomplishment! The very hard thing for the Shibs was to finally break through to the top at U.S. Nationals, so it has been an incredible journey for them. What I love is their spirited attitude, lighthearted senses of humor, and their dedication to working hard and doing everything they can to improve. They exude confidence but they do not have big heads. Plus, they are cool, calm and collected under pressure, even if their hearts are beating very fast under the surface.

There is something to be said for sloughing off negativity and focusing on the positives and on your goals, taking everything in stride, and being able to maintain control in the heat of competition. I know some people criticize Maia and Alex for being so controlled, but I don't. Look carefully and you can see their passion brimming always and it certainly boils over at the end of performances and in those moments of victory in the kiss 'n cry. :biggrinbo

I am waiting to be charmed and won over all over again by the Shibs this coming season. I love how they didn't let all the criticism defeat them a few seasons ago, and how they didn't let the judging outcome pressures at Helsinki Worlds get to them. They rose to the occasion like the Champions they are. :cheer2:

ETA:
I am definitely intrigued and wondering about the music Stephane Lambiel reportedly gave them awhile back, and that they spent time working on apparently for a new FD. Plus, spending time cooking with Stephane looks scrumptious. :encore:

Last edited:

lauravvv

ETA:
I am definitely intrigued and wondering about the music Stephane Lambiel reportedly gave them awhile back, and that they spent time working on apparently for a new FD. Plus, spending time cooking with Stephane looks scrumptious. :encore:
Given that Maia and Alex were photographed eating dinner with Petr Tchernyshev later and that they are using Coldplay again for their FD, I think it's most likely that Tchernyshev helped them with the FD like in the two previous seasons, and the piece of music that Stephane gave them was for another exhibition, and that's also what they worked on in Switzerland.

VGThuy

I wonder if this is usual and they've been monitored this early before, or if this is something entirely new. I also wonder if the other American teams are doing the same thing.

sap5

It seems like the Shibs have been working non-stop. Have they taken a break since Worlds?

AYS

🌻
Does this mean that they showed their programs? In that Chesapeake Open? I do not recall that they had commented on this sort of things before.
Not in the CO, just there at the same time, presumably because whoever they wanted to show their programs to was already there for the competition.

It does seem kind of early but it seems from their SM posts like they've had the pedal to the metal since Worlds ended, focusing on work instead of vacation and shows.

ETA: @sap5 are thinking alike. :lol:

chapis

It seems like the Shibs have been working non-stop. Have they taken a break since Worlds?
They spent a whole weekend in Las Vegas :D

Not in the CO, just there at the same time, presumably because whoever they wanted to show their programs to was already there for the competition.

It does seem kind of early but it seems from their SM posts like they've had the pedal to the metal since Worlds ended, focusing on work instead of vacation and shows.

oh, thanks. Yes, definitely they will leave nothing to chance!

VGThuy

I have a feeling that they are aware of their criticisms and what has cited as reasons that have been preventing them from reaching the top 2 spots and made them vulnerable to other teams like with what happened at Worlds. I think that is what is motivating them to work non-stop and really work this season. Although most think the Shibs should be extremely happy if they could pull off an Olympic bronze medal given the competition, I think they don't feel that way (unlike some other teams of similar rank who said are looking to get the bronze), and actually want to challenge for gold.

Dobre

I think it's good. Getting feedback early, when they have serious time to make adjustments with their coaches. National feedback now means more time to get international feedback also. I think they are pouring everything they have into this season.

chapis

Last edited:

Bellanca

I think they have what it takes to challenge for gold, and I believe V/M and P/C think they do too.
I agree. It would be reckless to assume anything less.

A bit broken record here, but worth repeating to mention that I like where Maia and Alex are positioned in this scenario. Always good to be the underdog(s), IMO. And, nothing is a given, even though the pecking order is in place.

I'm both nervous and excited for them, hoping for some Olympic hardware. But, one step at a time and a whole season to successfully get through, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information