1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scientology documentary A&E

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by 4rkidz, Nov 30, 2016.

1. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

not sure if anyone watched this but wow! That is quite the cult! Leah Remini is the host an it's very interesting.

2. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I saw the commercial for this and set my DVR since I had to to work tonight. I can't wait to watch.

4rkidz likes this.
  3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Very interesting and while Scientology can't be treated in the US like it is Germany maybe it needs to get attacked and banned as a criminal scheme.

4. 4rkidz

How is it treated in Germany? I just find it so interesting yet sad, no religion should shame, shun or banish people but I'm biased I'm a humanist.

Karina1974 and NeilJLeonard like this.
  5. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

I read a book about this cult written by a child who grew up in it.

It is shocking and difficult to see how it can't be seen as child abuse.

clairecloutier, twinsissv and Cachoo like this.
  6. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

7. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

That...was one creepy program. :eek: A six-year-old child had to sign a one-billion year contract?
    WHAT THE HECK? :yikes:

8. Winnipeg

One billion because they believe their bodies are just the vehicle for their soul or something like that. They live forever. That is why they treat children the way they do because they assume they already lived a bunch in past lives and should know better. They work the children of scientology parents to the bone and keep them separated from their parents most of the time.

It's really sad, weird and hard to believe the treatment of children this way is actually legal.

9. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Lawrence Wright's book "Going Clear" is an excellent book on Scientology for those who are interested. He is a well respected journalist who interviewed lots of current and ex-scientologists for the book. There is also a documentary with the same name, which can occasionally be found on youtube.

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

"The German government does not recognize Scientology as a religion. It views it as an abusive business masquerading as a religion and believes that it pursues political goals that conflict with the values enshrined in the German constitution."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_in_Germany

The problem is not only Scientology but the US government which decided it's a religion.

Karina1974 and AxelAnnie like this.
  11. 4rkidz

I think Germany had it right! It sometimes seems becoming a "religion" is more of a tax issue in the States. Does seem abusive to me if you do what they do at the "church" of Scientology

AxelAnnie likes this.
  12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

I saw Louis Theroux's documentary about Scientology a few months ago. Interesting viewing as well.

13. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I've been watching Leah Remini's docu-series about Scientology. I always thought of it as just one more strange "religion" or cult that happens to be very expensive. But watching her series has horrified me when they talk about those working at the powerful arm of the religion known as Sea Org. Apparently babies are a no-no so women working there have abortion after abortion. Many who escape (and they literally have to escape) are haunted by what they felt forced to do. To me, that alone should merit some sort of investigation. There also might be many violations of child labor laws at Sea Org and other Scientology centers. Is anyone else watching this series? I'm curious about opinions on the series and on Scientology.

AxelAnnie likes this.
  15. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I have watched a bit of it. They are bad, bad people. (not all of them, obviously). Years ago, I worked for Warner Erhard & Associates (EST) now The Forum. Things that Scientology would try to do to Mr. Erhard and various trainers.......horrid. I hope Leah is able to get the truth out. Watching last night was terrifying.

16. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I have been loving this series and it has brought me to check out lots of other videos, web sites (ex Scientology member forum, ex Scientology kids, Leah remini forum on previously TV) and books. Scary stuff.

17. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

18. overedge

overedge doing shots in the Grublets on Ice dressing room

Leah Remini is very smart in doing this show. Not for crass commercial reasons, but now if anything "mysterious" happens to her, the Scientologists are going to be the first suspects. They hopefully will be much less likely to go after her now.

We were wondering while watching the show last night how much pull Scientology still has in Hollywood and whether Remini is going to have trouble getting acting jobs after this. It seems like all their "big names" - Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley - are kind of past their career prime, so I doubt they have much influence outside the Church any more. I don't know if there are any big studio executives who are known Scientologists.

19. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Their pull has severely diminished, although there are new reports that Tommy Davis might work for a Hollywood production company now. I don't think the Scientology issue would really hold Leah back. If anything, with the show's ratings, she might be more desirable than ever right now to most executives!

Diane Mars likes this.
  20. Firedancer

Firedancer Active Member

I watched the whole series. I'm kind of disappointed tonight is the last one. I have found the whole thing so interesting. It is hard to believe that none of the things this cult does can be considered abusive, fraudulent or some other crime(s). It sounds like Germany has it right and the US and other countries should follow their lead.

21. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Scientology may not have that many new big names right now, but unfortunately, a lot of lesser-known actors in Hollywood are still Scientologists. I think it's probably still got a pretty big presence in the industry. Some actors that I've really liked are Scientologists ... In not a few cases, they are second-generation Scientologists. Their parents, living in L.A. during the 60s/70s/80s, got sucked in and passed it on to the kids. It's sad.

skatingfan5, ballettmaus and overedge like this.
  22. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I've only caught a couple of episodes, but this is my reaction as well. I had no idea how controlling and abusive and devastating it was.

Except that they have more incentive to go after her now. They clearly were following her while she was making the series.

23. overedge

overedge doing shots in the Grublets on Ice dressing room

@Allskate yes, that footage of the PIs following her was really scary. But I don't think now they would dare try to do anything like make her have a car accident because it would just be too obvious who was behind it.

It's also interesting that if the series is as inaccurate as Scientology claims it is (according to the disclaimers during the show) that Scientology isn't suing the people and the companies involved with the show. Not AFAIK anyway.

24. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Scientology doesn't want a trial. Imagine what would come out.

I'll be curious to see if they do a second docu-series. After seeing this series, there may be more people willing to share their experiences.

overedge likes this.
  25. FiveRinger

Has Shelly Miscavige ever turned up? Is she still missing?

26. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ Never turned up. Here is one thing I find pretty intriguing about the whole thing with Leah wanting to know where David Miscaviage's wife is, and pretty much agree with her statement. Leah said something like all she wants to know is that she (the wife) is okay. She wouldn't care if she came to her and said "eff off I'm fine", she just wants to know where she is. Since they (Scientology) are out to discredit Leah, what a perfect opportunity for them to play up their side and say "look, here she is, right here in the room with you Leah, and she wants to tell you to "eff off". Perfect opportunity to discredit her yet it doesn't happen. I saw a 20/20 thing on his wife a few years ago and I believe she's long since dead.

And now I'm scared this thread is being monitored and they'll come after me. If I stop posting on this board, you will know why. :rofl:

27. Nell411

Nell411 Between the click of the light and

A trial has the potential to be devastating. Remember how quickly Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorce was settled? She probably has some massive dirt on them and it would not surprise me if she used that dirt to make sure they left her and Suri alone.

As far as Scientology causing Leah Remini to disappear, as long as she can keep herself in the public eye, working to discredit them and just working in general, they would have to know they would be the first suspects if something were to happen to her. I think she probably knows that, she's handled her career very well since leaving Scientology.

overedge and Mozart like this.
  28. FiveRinger

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Along with the forced abortions I was also concerned for the people who tried to escape but were caught and brought back to Sea Org. I'd like to know if anyone is there against their will now. Between Remini and Gibney? and everyone else who has talked/written/filmed about the abuses I think surely someone should be investigating them. And I would insist that someone produce Shelly Miscavige too.

30. Winnipeg

Scientology should be banned for cruelty, abuse, human rights, and many other issues.