1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Russian Ice Dance champion Zhiganshin retires

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by caseyedwards, May 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM.

1. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm sad about this, but I heard whisperings of it earlier, so I'm not that shocked. I've had time to get used to the news. I wonder if Elena can find another partner. Would they try to pair her with Guerreiro and break up Z/G? I hope not.

2. Coquelicot14

Coquelicot14 Well-Known Member

Nah, Guerreiro is a perfect match with Tiffany.

Besides, Elena needs a guy that's a bit more her build. Khaliavin might work, or Mozgov.

3. Perky Shae Lynn

Perky Shae Lynn Well-Known Member

I feel exactly the same way.

Meteorlight likes this.
  4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Elena has gold and bronze Olympic medals. My guess is she will move on to shows.

5. Areski

Areski Well-Known Member

I share your view.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Our own personal St. Jude!

Lanie likes this.
  7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

This is very sad news, in particular for Elena. Russian Ice Dance is pretty frustrating. :(

8. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

In a way, I blame WADA's mishandling of the meldonium ban. Didn't that cost Russia a 3ed spot for dance? Once you lose it, it's hard to get back.

9. Coquelicot14

Coquelicot14 Well-Known Member

It absolutely did. I honestly think something should have been done to cover the damages of their incompetence as far as B&S are concerned.

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Not sure why people think Russia was going to get their 3rd spot back last year at Worlds if B/S had competed they would have had to been in the top 4 and while doable there was also a good chance they would have finished as low as 6th.

11. Dobre

Dobre Well-Known Member

7th. Hubbell & Donohue were sixth, skating at home, and had split placements with Bobrova & Soloviev twice during the season. There was a very good chance B&S would have finished 7th. Sixth was the most likely. B&S could have been higher (C&L and W&P did open some doors), but it would have meant passing teams that defeated B&S twice each last season. 6th or 7th were the most likely outcomes.

When all is said and done, though, we should have had the chance to see Bobrova & Soloviev compete at Worlds, and we didn't get it. We were robbed of seeing Anna Karenina, and that stinks.

But we were not robbed of seeing Bobrova & Soloviev ever compete again. Which seemed very plausible at the time, and would have been much, much worse.

rfisher, Spun Silver and Eisfee like this.
  12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Russia lost that third spot at 2015 Worlds. Maybe with B/S's help they and S/K could have gained it back with a 3rd place placement from B/S (remember with B/S there and assumingly placing higher than S/K, then S/K's ninth place finish would become a tenth place finish). However, many teams performed extremely well at those Worlds and the caller was a bit more lenient which meant many teams were getting all level 4 calls.