Ru Paul's Drag Race - Spring 2017

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
RPDR is back on Friday, March 24 with a few changes. First run shows for Season 9 will air on VH1, not Logo. Don't worry about big changes ala Project Runway as the show retains its production crew.

All of the show content is still on logo.com including preview clips and Meet the Queens. I would imagine that it will migrate to vh1.com at some point. The Gaga clip is worth a view.

FiveRinger

I can't wait! They have been teasing us for months. And, yes, the reaction to Gaga is priceless!! :D

Bonita

Thanks for posting this! I love that show and didn't think it was coming back on until late spring. Setting my DVR when I get home!

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am going to have to subscribe to a streaming service to watch this. My usual pay TV isn't going to show it this season.

Aceon6

I forgot to mention that Logo is running a RPDR marathon starting tomorrow at 8 EDT. All 8 seasons plus the All Stars ones will run continuously through next Friday's premier.

Allen

Glad to be back!
My initial thought about Drag Race moving to VH1 was that Logo was done. At this point, Logo basically has reruns of The Golden Girls, Roseanne, and Mama's family playing in a loop. After Sirius XM removed the gay channel, I just felt very sad and annoyed and I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Logo. It all started with Derek and Romaine being removed from Sirius XM then the whole channel was gone. I'm hopeful since Logo will play the reruns, but I still have a bad feeling.

I'm pretty excited about this season. Eureka is from the closest gay bar to where I grew up. I know several people that know her, but I've never met her. From what I saw in that leaked video of the first twenty minutes, I thought she was really funny. So, she'll get the hometown vote for me.

There's been a lot of talk about this cast in social media and it's actually gotten pretty nasty. I'm Facebook friends with a number of the Atlanta drag queens and let's just say that Nina Bo'nina Brown has alienated herself in that scene. She has a nearly 9 minute diatribe on YouTube defending herself about fat shaming someone (which she did) and accusing another queen (Evah Destruction) of going around Atlanta with a notebook stealing ideas from other performers. So, I'll be real interested to see how that plays out.

If I were a cast member, I'd stop hanging out with Jason King. He and Eureka were in a car wreck earlier in the week. On Thursday, he, Trinity, and Valentina were attacked by a man in West Hollywood.

berthesghost

Thanks for the info! I saw all the queen promos but somehow missed that it moved from logo. Thanks for the PR reassurance because as soon as I read vh1 my mind did instantly jumped to "oh great they'll ruin it like they ruined PR!"

I really hope it's good, cause I am getting a little iffy. Just spoiled grapes because I used to agree with most if not all of the results but the last few seasons I've been so x "wuz robbed" bitter.

Aceon6

Rather than DVR the entire marathon, I decided to just do Snatch Game. Sadly, I had forgotten how ill prepared the queens were in the earlier seasons. I should have started with season 4.

Aceon6

As usual, the first episode went by so fast, I will need to watch it again to get a better idea of who's who. Gaga was really good, giving detailed explanations of why she thought some queens deserved praise while others needed improvement. Wendy Williams' viewing party seems to be a work in process. She and Ross had some ups and downs.

e2theeyepie

Will the encore airings also be put online? That's how my BF and I always watched Drag Race when it was on Logo -- via the Logo website after-the-fact

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Interesting first episode. A lot of reading going on. Gaga was so great in the episode and very generous with her support for the queens. Enjoyed it very much.

Aceon6

Will the encore airings also be put online? That's how my BF and I always watched Drag Race when it was on Logo -- via the Logo website after-the-fact
Yes, but you'll have to check both Logo.com and vh1.com while they get the web content sorted.

I Luv Bulldogs

OUTtv in Canada. No one really stood out as my favs yet. No Ru in drag....wonder if that will continue this season? Hope not!

berthesghost

Probably the least "Benetton ad" season thus far. No Asians and no queens from Puerto Rico Iirc. Maybe this is the season a big girl will finally win, but I doubt it. I'll just have to lick my ginger and Kim chi wuz robbed wounds lol

Allen

Glad to be back!
Probably the least "Benetton ad" season thus far. No Asians and no queens from Puerto Rico Iirc. Maybe this is the season a big girl will finally win, but I doubt it. I'll just have to lick my ginger and Kim chi wuz robbed wounds lol

Kimora is Asian and Valentina is Hispanic.

antmanb

Our internet is supremely crap where I live but I've finally done a free trial of Netflix because they're airing the latest season the day after it airs in the US :cheer2:

It might take half a day to download an episode but i'll live with that :lol:

antmanb

The Netflix experiment turned out ok - nearly instant viewing of the episode :cheer2: Loved Gaga in the first episode.

FiveRinger

I watched the first episode and I really liked it, although I was sad that Ru didn't dress in drag for it. Half of the fun is to see her make her appearance on the runway! That might be because she and Gaga would have just been too much for all of us to take....:drama:

Gaga was just so encouraging to all of the queens. And her critiques were actually helpful, not a bunch of crap where we sometimes see the judges tearing people down just for the hell of it. It was really productive and that was refreshing.

It's been a hectic week so I haven't had a chance to watch the full second episode, just enough to see who the returning queen was (although I didn't get to see why) and see Lisa Kudrow, who looked great!

antmanb

I don't know if it was just the way the second episode make it to Netlfix in the UK, but the first episode ended with a big - someone is coming back, and then the second episode contained no reveal the queen was just there and it was completely anticlimactic given the big fanfare at the end of the first episode :confused:

Just a question for this thread - do we put spoilers in the thread or not? I've never been able to participate in a thread before so just wondering about etiquette so will spoiler my next comments.

I thought both queens were a little lacklustre and I've have happily sent them both home as happened in another season when they were both crap :lol: That said I thought James Kennedy did pull out a little bit more than Kimora (is that the right spelling?) who kind of reminds me a bit of Gia Gunn, in that she seems to give not a feck about being in the competition and thinks she's better than she is.

Aceon6

@antmanb Just my opinion, but I think it's ok to post show info in the clear after 72 hours or so. That gives people a chance to watch online while unspoiled. What do others think?

The auffed queen was brilliant in her Ride with Ru segment. I would have preferred that the other was auffed. Neither was making it to final 4 anyway.

As for this crop of contestants, I'm missing a quick witted one. My favorites of all time have been Bianca, Bob, and Latrice. So far, no one on this season is seeming all that sharp.

berthesghost

Gaga was just so encouraging to all of the queens. And her critiques were actually helpful, not a bunch of crap where we sometimes see the judges tearing people down just for the hell of it. It was really productive and that was refreshing.
its funny because after I first read this I was like :blah: because I'd only seen the episode. Then later I watched the untucked episode where she really did do all of what you said so that was a nice surprise. I can't think of any other guest judge who spent so much time with them. Especially compared to the awkward Lisa Kudrow cameo that was kinda :huh:
The auffed queen was brilliant in her Ride with Ru segment. I would have preferred that the other was auffed. Neither was making it to final 4 anyway.
i actually thought James had a much better lip sync than Kimora so was kinda :confused: by the result. I'm not sure that after she sees episode 3's edit, that Kimora is still going to be proud of reaching her goal of not being 1st to leave. She kinda came off as an entitled airhead. And :lol: at the judges openly mocking her tell all story of bravely going Unpadded.
When Valentina first walked in I had assumed she was from PR but then she said she was from LA.
then they added Cynthia, who's cuckoo is from PR Iirc :D
Ep1 I was like :duh: "why?"
Ep 2 after the cancer tear jerker story I was like :cheer2: "got it"
Ep 3 after the Pulse story I was like :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed "damn girl, how many sob stories do you got"
Overall I have the same impression as the last time: she seems a much nicer person than she is a fierce competitor. Her princess drag was kinda underwhelming to me.

Valentina really seems to be the big surprise this season. So together for someone so young and inexperienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information