1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

random question re grad school application

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nypanda, May 6, 2010.

  1. nypanda

    nypanda Well-Known Member

    So I'm applying for seminary. I hold a B.A. in music, a certification of completion from a performing arts conservatory, and completed almost all my classwork for an M.M. in musical theatre -- did not finish the degree because I went on tour...

    Question is -- who do I need to purloin expensive official transcripts from to apply to grad school (seminary) now?

    Please say just the undergrad....I mean, I passed everything else with flying colors, but what a pain....

  2. skipaway

    skipaway Well-Known Member

    The few applications I made to grad school asked for transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.

    Good luck.
  3. skatesindreams

    skatesindreams Well-Known Member

    I suspect that they'll want a record of everything you accomplished.
    It sounds as though you did a lot.

    Good for you!
  4. Aceon6

    Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

    It will be money well spent. Anything that you can provide that shows you can succeed in the classroom boosts your chances.
  5. agalisgv

    agalisgv Well-Known Member

    For seminary, it depends on the actual degree you are seeking. For a general MDiv, you only need your undergrad transcripts. If you are getting a ThM in music, your other coursework could count towards the degree and thus, you would need to supply the transcripts. If you are doing anything with liturgical dance/music, having a record of previous course work could help you not only get into the program, but access funding (there are lots of funding pools for theological education, so be sure to explore those if you aren't already fully funded).

    Best of luck!
  6. GarrAarghHrumph

    GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

    You're in the US, right? Then it's standard that you have to provide transcripts of all work you did for credit. If that certificate wasn't for credit - you took non-credit courses - then you don't have to provide that one. But for the BA and the MM, yes, absolutely.

    But the webpage for the seminary should tell you what you need to submit. If you're not sure, ask the school directly.
  7. nypanda

    nypanda Well-Known Member

    Thanks guys. I know I should ask them directly...I'm just grasping at straws to avoid a conversation that involves the phrase "unfinished work". And being told, "yes, supply everything" just to cover my bases -- to the tune of $50 a pop. I think? Lord, it's been so long I don't even know what a transcript costs now days. :lol: But yeah...I'll dig 'em all up...
  8. Theatregirl1122

    Theatregirl1122 Enjoying Vicarious Voids!

    $50? Wow, where are you getting these transcripts?
  9. GarrAarghHrumph

    GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

    Mine from one school is free - the cost was paid in my student fees. The other school, each one costs $5.
  10. nypanda

    nypanda Well-Known Member

    Well...when I last applied to grad school in 1995 I paid my alma mater $50 for the official transcript with the raised seal. They gave us three when we graduated for free....but that was 25 years ago....
  11. Aceon6

    Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

    It's different now. If the school you're applying to accepts secure electronic transmissions, it's simply a matter of a file going from one school to another. $5-10 is most common.
  12. nypanda

    nypanda Well-Known Member

    :lol: THANK YOU Aceon6. That is new and good information....even if it does make me feel like a dinosaur...
  13. danceronice

    danceronice Corgi Wrangler

    If it's why the "official" ones, they want to make sure you're not photoshopping something out!
  14. suep1963

    suep1963 Well-Known Member

    If you are going for an MDiv, it doesn't hurt to have everything. Also, when my sister went in, she got partial credit for some of her classes because of her work experience. Now I don't remember if that went towards the MDiv or the Christian Education one (she did two degrees)