Question re Tap Dance Shoes

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I hope some of the dancers here can help with this one.

There's a dance school near me that offers adult tap dancing classes. It requires the students to wear "non-heeled tap shoes". I've poked around on the Internet and I can't quite figure out what this is. Does this mean a shoe with a low heel, like a jazz shoe? (which still has a heel....) Or does it mean tap shoes without a tap on the heel?

I could phone the school and find out, but before I make a fool of myself doing that, I thought I would check here. Thanks for any enlightenment...

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
It means tap oxfords. Most studios don't like character shoes (2-3" heel) as the small tap can mess up the floor. Also, the small tap is harder to get a clean sound if you're not an expert. If you're buying, I recommend spending the extra $30 and getting leather so your dogs can breathe. Capezio's Cadence is a decent shoe. If you want to invest, Bloch makes a nice shoe.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
As Aceon6 said, they mean an oxford or similar, not a high heeled tap shoe like a character shoe. So something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Capezio-Wome...id=1495322247&sr=8-1&keywords=capezio+cadence

And not something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Capezio-Wome...id=1495322282&sr=8-12&keywords=tap+shoe+woman

I'm hoping to start adult tap again this fall, if I can't find a class that starts earlier. I took tap maybe... 15 years ago, but that studio closed, and I haven't been back. I think I'll need new shoes, since my feet changed after I had my daughter.

I hedge because what I *really* want to try is Irish dance. There's a studio here that offers adult classes, but I'm not sure if they're adult like me, or adult like 18 year olds who've been doing this for years, so we'll have to see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information