1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Question about Hats/ British Weddings

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Are there certain "rules" when it comes to wearing hats to weddings? I ask because I have fallen in love with the wedding dress worn by Kate Moss. But as I look at pictures taken of wedding guests I see some hats but not many. I had the idea that wearing a hat was standard practice at weddings in Britian. Educate me please.:)

2. skatefan

skatefan home in England

I don't think the wearing of hats is standard practice at weddings here - it does seem to be personal preference and fashion. The weddings I've been to recently did seem to have lots fascinators around and only a few hats. The fascinators in particular were very popular with all ages, teens to 80 year olds, attached either with a comb or a band. The hats were worn by the bride's mother and the groom's mother. I guess the disadvantage of hats is that people sitting behind the wearer can't see past them and they don't do much for hair :)

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thank you--fascinator is a new term for me this year as well as now being able to recognize Princess Beatrice. When Charles married Camilla I liked her dress and hat (fascinator?) If I had seen the headpiece standing alone I would have thought it looked ridiculous but with her wedding attire it all seemed to work. And regarding your point about the size of the hat: I kept thinking about Andie MacDowell's huge hat in "Four Weddings and a Funeral." Way too big.