Pre-season poll: Which 3 U.S. Men do you want to see at the 2018 Olympics?

Which 3 U.S. Men do you want to see at the PyeongChang Olympics?

• Max Aaron

Votes: 28 18.9%
  • Jason Brown

Votes: 81 54.7%
  • Nathan Chen

Votes: 119 80.4%
  • Timothy Dolensky

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Joshua Farris

Votes: 60 40.5%
  • Grant Hochstein

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Ross Miner

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Adam Rippon

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • Vincent Zhou

Votes: 38 25.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sylvia

TBD
Here's my pre-season poll for the U.S. men (to go with the similar poll for the ladies). It also will close before the start of the ISU Challenger Series. I selected the skaters who have competed in the Grand Prix series in the past season or are scheduled for at least 1 GP in the coming season.

Pick 3 and feel free to name the skater if you choose 'Other. Skaters are listed alphabetically by last name.

Your votes will not be visible.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Poor Max. Being outvoted by two skaters who can't even land consistent quads, one who's been out for two years with a serious injury, and one who can't even rotate his quads. Wait. I forgot. It's not all about the quads (unless we're talking about overscoring Nathan and Vincent and then it's all about the quads.)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I also highly doubt that Max victimizes himself or throws temper tantrums, petty insults, or feels the need to belittle his competition when things don't go his way. He works hard and knows the drill.

I really don't think Max would think highly of the way you attack people over him anytime they make a negative comment, it might make him think you're a little cray.

Based on my preferences I went with Jason, Adam, Nathan (in that order), but ultimately I want the 3 men that deserve it at the time.

Last edited:

centerpt1

This is a question about preferences. It's not "Who will make the team?", but "Who do you want to see at the Olympics?"

I went with Max, Nathan and Grant....that's who I would prefer on the team.

Who do I think will make the Team? Nathan, Adam, Jason.

Nathan is in a class by himself, he makes the team if he's healthy. Jason is a favorite, (even though he's not a jumper), so unless he bombs on the GP or at Nationals he's on. #3 slot is a toss up.

I'd prefer to see Max on the team-I prefer his approach to skating - he's more honest and earthy than the bombastic Razz-Ma-Tazz of Jason. It's just a preference. Not right or wrong.

I'd like Grant on the team because he's a classic skater, and better than he gets credit for.

quartz

scratching at the light
I also see the wording of the question to be about preferences, so I went with Jason, Adam and Max because I like them. :p
Nathan and Vincent are young and can wait until next time, but I feel guilty about not including Grant and Joshua.
Can we have an Olympics for the B team??

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I'd love to see Adam, Max, Josh. I want Josh on that team!

I figure it will be Nathan, Vincent, and probably Jason.

VGThuy

If we take Nathan out of the equation, then it looks like the 2015 Mens World team is winning this poll.

Bellanca

Just like w/ the ladies’ poll, this is a tough one.

For me, I have a soft spot for Grant. Anything can happen, but he may have a higher mountain to climb. It is hard to say.

I like the idea of Nathan, Vincent, and Grant, Max or Jason. As for the other men, I have the utmost respect for all of them, and I will be happy to see any combination on the team.

It’s an Olympic year, unexpected things can happen.

clairecloutier

I don't feel like I can really vote here because there are a bunch of guys that I really like and I'd honestly be happy with any of them making it. And yes @Karpenko one of them is Ross Miner. :p I don't care how #TT:gallopin1 Ross is, he is still a terrific skater. (And :sekret: you may change your mind a bit on him when you see his new-look SP. :D) Anyhow I'd be happy with any combination of Ross, Jason, Adam, Grant, Josh, and even Vincent. The other 3 guys (Nathan, Max, Tim) are not quite as high on my list, but I'm sure they'd be deserving as well, and we all know Nathan WILL be on that team, 95% certain, the other 2 spots are :confused:.

Tahuu

"Who do you want to see at the Olympics?"
I'd prefer to see Max on the team-I prefer his approach to skating - he's more honest and earthy than the bombastic Razz-Ma-Tazz of Jason. It's just a preference. Not right or wrong.

I want Max, Josh and Nathan on the team, who are not pretentious, self-indulgent and adulation-seeking.

Spun Silver

My heart wants Nathan, Jason and Tim, but I voted Nathan, Jason and Vincent. Tim is an incredibly beautiful skater but he just doesnt have the results. But maybe he will have a fabulous, game-changing season.

Last edited:

angi

I'm surprised so many people prefer Vincent over Adam and even predict that Adam won't qualify, am I missing something? Because up until his injury Adam had a great season (other than his GPF free) and his SB were 3rd in rank among US men and his FP (which he is keeping for the Olympic season) is sublime.

SkateFanBerlin

Chen will be there if he is healthy. I get the vibe he only does skating to win; doesn't show much love on the ice. He's already said he doesn't expect to go beyond this Oly cycle. But, he has the jump goods. Jason and Adam are so reliable and will probably have a quad or 2. Max doesn't seem to be able to catch up PCS and his 2 quad programs are old school now. Tim D. - not in the same league, though I've loved parts of his skates. Josh will rightfully play cautious given his injury history. So it will be Nathan, Jason and Adam.

Spun Silver

Chen will be there if he is healthy. I get the vibe he only does skating to win; doesn't show much love on the ice. He's already said he doesn't expect to go beyond this Oly cycle. But, he has the jump goods. Jason and Adam are so reliable and will probably have a quad or 2. Max doesn't seem to be able to catch up PCS and his 2 quad programs are old school now. Tim D. - not in the same league, though I've loved parts of his skates. Josh will rightfully play cautious given his injury history. So it will be Nathan, Jason and Adam.
Why not Vincent?

Dobre

I'm surprised so many people prefer Vincent over Adam and even predict that Adam won't qualify, am I missing something?

104+ TES for Vincent's Junior Worlds free skate? And the fact that his SP will be worth more than it is for his current PB without the restrictions on quads in the Junior SP.

Adam has twice as many votes as Vincent. Which is not at all surprising as Vincent hasn't been on the senior scene long enough to develop a fan base. But if you are missing something, perhaps that is it.

First year in seniors; even being smart and skating drama to R&J he will read like a junior.

Looking around for someone with a quad lutz that has disappeared into the crowd during his first year in seniors, and I'm not finding one.

I voted for Nathan & Jason. Because I like them.

I didn't vote for a third guy because there is too high a rate of heartbreak there if I start to care. I expect Vincent to be on the team. (He's been chasing Nathan for years. I don't know why he would stop now). I'm not an Adam fan, but I really like his LP and have been underestimating him since his disaster at 2014 SC so you should completely ignore me when it comes to predicting his results. I probably like Max the best of all the guys on the list after Nathan & Jason. Ross is sweet, but . . . Queen again. Josh doesn't stand out for me, but he was on the road to changing that before retiring/unretiring. I'd just like him to have a good year.

Nathan & Jason it is.

dinakt

I voted for Nathan (no brainer) and Josh (sentimental favorite). Realistically, though, I expect Nathan, Vincent, Jason. Vincent- because he has quads and might progress very fast at his age. Jason- because what he does well guarantees a high score even with no quads. As much as I love Josh, coming back after two year hiatus is very hard both physically and psychologically, and though I hope for a miracle, in no way do I expect one.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
First year in seniors; even being smart and skating drama to R&J he will read like a junior.

I dunno... First year senior Polina can do it, First year senior Vincent can do it. Plus, he's the Junior World Champion. Even more cred behind him than Polina.

As of today Im leaning Nathan, Jason and Vincent although a healthy Joshua can take it away from either Jason or Vincent.

I think ship may have sailed on Adam and Max. But who knows.

Grant and Ross not in race. Again, but who knows. LOL

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

I dunno... First year senior Polina can do it, First year senior Vincent can do it. Plus, he's the Junior World Champion. Even more cred behind him than Polina.

Yeah, you're probably right. If he brings all those quads they'll send him. My picture of him is last year nationals - white jacket that didn't fit and looked kind of dumb on a 15(?)yo. Skating jump to jump. But a year is a long time at that age. We'll just sit ourselves down and wait and see.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Zhou is also the reigning SENIOR silver medalist. Why are people acting like he's a 4 year old who can only skate on flats?

Skaters like Rippon and Brown have milked the system with their stronger PCS because they've always been a step below when it comes to what they can put out there that's fully rotated. I don't get why Vincent wouldn't be able to do the same but with his TES being what saves him. IMO it just comes down to Vincent being 1. Younger and 2. More IJS friendly. Rippon and Brown might still be leagues above artistically even by the time San Jose rolls around. But that doesn't take away from the fact that someone like Zhou seems like the more sound investment for the future, a luxury when you have 3 spots and a risk worth taking IMO.

Oh and I'm not dissing any one or counting anyone else out because I didn't mention them. Just seeing what qualities our skaters currently have and how that would factor against international competition is all.

VGThuy

Zhou is also the reigning SENIOR silver medalist. Why are people acting like he's a 4 year old who can only skate on flats?

Skaters like Rippon and Brown have milked the system with their stronger PCS because they've always been a step below when it comes to what they can put out there that's fully rotated. I don't get why Vincent wouldn't be able to do the same but with his TES being what saves him. IMO it just comes down to Vincent being 1. Younger and 2. More IJS friendly. Rippon and Brown might still be leagues above artistically even by the time San Jose rolls around. But that doesn't take away from the fact that someone like Zhou seems like the more sound investment for the future, a luxury when you have 3 spots and a risk worth taking IMO.

Oh and I'm not dissing any one or counting anyone else out because I didn't mention them. Just seeing what qualities our skaters currently have and how that would factor against international competition is all.

Because it's similar to how many posted about Nathan Chen last season. Vincent is upsetting the apple cart for some who truly want whoever it is that they want to make the Olympic team, and "some kids" are getting in the way of that with their more objective TES advantage.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Because it's similar to how many posted about Nathan Chen last season. Vincent is upsetting the apple cart for some who truly want whoever it is that they want to make the Olympic team, and "some kids" are getting in the way of that with their more objective TES advantage.

Yeah I believe you're right...But it's a competitive sport...isn't that the point? :lol: Younger athletes that are better equipped to keep up with the competitive scene eventually taking over.

Oh unrelated I guess but I wouldn't be surprised if half of the GPF qualifiers for the upcoming season are U.S. men. Japan does have the big 1-2 of Hanyu and Uno but then it drops a level once we get to #3. I'd say the U.S. has the deepest senior program going into the Olympic season. Let's just indulge in the fact that we have men who could challenge for the medals again:biggrinbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information