1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Opera Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I havent gotten too far finding feminist angles in Wagner, myself.

But I've seen some mighty strong women singing the dickens out of him, and that's gotta mean something.

He is a composer I had every intention of hating because of his ideas. Then I started listening to his music.

SaSherka and maatTheViking like this.
  2. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Danish Ice Dance! Go Laurence & Nikolaj!

I think Holten did something feminist, or at least uplifting with the Copenhagen Ring, I read the ending (past the singing) as a new world, a new generation free of Wotan's stupid scheming.

But otherwise Wagner suffers from being a product of his time, when it comes to women and to culture/race. But his music is amazing, so I will enjoy the operas.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He did, but I think he was pushing it, and it was spectacular ;)

For all opera lovers:
    https://twitter.com/merolaopera/status/730596428540563456

skatesindreams and maatTheViking like this.
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    maatTheViking likes this.
  5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I listened to the Met Opera opener on SiriusXM yesterday, and Nina Stemme sounded as fresh singing the Liebestod as she did at the beginning of Tristan und Isolde, which started over 5 hours before :eek: and :inavoid: and :rockstar:.

dinakt, SaSherka and cris like this.
  6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Nina Stemme is fabulous. I only listened to the first few minutes last night, can't do Tristan and Isolde. :shuffle:

dinakt likes this.
  7. SaSherka

SaSherka Well-Known Member

I listened to the T&I broadcast until the debates. Watched for about 15 min and switched back to Wagner. Nina Stemme singing Liebestod was to die for!
    I still can't decide whether I want to sit through all 5 hours though.

dinakt likes this.
  8. maatTheViking

I'm going to see Hansel & Gretel on Saturday at Seattle Opera, hopefully it will be good. I have never heard it before.

(I am worried though, they said it will be windy and stormy, and the worst will be Saturday. I am worried if they will close the bridge, since I'm going home over 520. Hopefully the new one does better in storms)

dinakt likes this.
  9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

She really, really is.

10. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Time stops with Wagner at his best. I could not make it through Parsifal the first time, but I tried again and was hooked.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

BBC Radio 3 has been broadcasting recordings of live opera/live opera each Saturday at 6:30pm GMT, 10:30am PT, 1:30pm ET.

Today was "Werther" from this summer's run with Joyce Di Donato and Vittorio Grigolo. It's available on demand for another 29 days:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07z43sq

Oh, the :drama:

From Glyndebourne is the rarely performed "Beatrice et Benedict" by Berlioz with Stephanie d'Oustrac and Paul Appleby, on demand for another 22 days:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07y9nlq

From the English National Opera, "Tristan und Isolde" in English with Heidi Melton and Stuart Skelton from July, on demand for another 15 days:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b07xh8yr

Kudos to Skelton, who's been singing Tristan in the original German at the Met, less than two months later. That's a lot of words to remember and keep straight.

From Glyndebourne, an opera that premiered there, for another 8 days, is Britten's "The Rape of Lucretia" with Claudia Huckle:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b07xh8yr

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Was it worth seeing? It's not my favorite opera, and it was only the production that made me consider it.

13. maatTheViking

So I really liked the music, but I must admit I did not like the production.

Normally I really enjoy modern/modernized productions, but I felt this one had issues.

First off, Hansel & Gretels family is poor, which is how the liberetto is written. I felt that they showed it in a way that emphasized a lot of typical prejudices about poor people (dirty, the father is drunk, the choice of costumes - sort of 'white trash' stereotypes if you will). I think juxtaposed with the typical Opera audience it made me feel uncomfortable. I think it could have been done in a more tactful, or even romantic way, which I think would have suited the opera and story better.

The witch's house was made of junk-food stacked on supermarket isles, and I again that I felt that it wasn't really, truly funny - all poor people dream of is going to Walmart and eating junk food?

Then the witch, which is sung by a guy, had a lot 'funny' guy-dressed-as-a-woman moments. I think I would not have minded if there wasn't other things that bothered me, but these types of jokes seem a little tonedeaf now? Especially for an Opera company putting on a 'a contemporary exploration of a transgender protagonist’s journey told through two voices' next month?
    He was clearly enjoying himslef though, and giving it his all, acting wise.

So all in all it just felt flat. I talked with another single opera goer in the pause, and she had a similar reaction. She was German, and very familiar with the opera. For her it was definitely a more romantic and sweet opera.

I think they could have made it have a modern setting without all of these issues, honestly. It is not that part of it that I thought was bad, but just a lot of choices in the portrayals.

As always though, YMMV

(Note that I also HATE social-realism as a literary genre)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Thank you so much @maatTheViking! I think I'll just skip it and listen to the broadcast this Saturday night.

The genesis of the tale is mass starvation in the 13th century that led in cases to child abandonment and cannibalism, but by the time it was written, like most fairy tales the story was softened. The composer's little sister asked her brother to write it, and it was meant to be romantic and sweet, and one of those stories where the kids show that they're a lot more resourceful and clever than the adults.

It played at Glyndebourne, so I assume the class references are to chavs, which sounds gratuitous.

I don't know how I missed the existence of "As One," but I just bought a ticket, thanks to your reference!

maatTheViking likes this.
  15. maatTheViking

Then the over-acting male/female comedy makes more sense (in the sense that it seems a very British thing, like Monty Python), as did the oversized *illegal* kindereggs on the shelfs, lol.

Honestly I don't know why they have not advertised 'As One' more, I think I saw it since I went to their site. As a subscriber I am surprise they didn't email me?
    I am not going to be able to make it though.

skatesindreams and kwanfan1818 like this.
  16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818, this one is for you. Remember that Ariodante in Toronto you tempted me with? I don't know where to begin. The Polinesso in this production (Armenian mezzo Varduhi Abrahamyan) is so brutal, so villainous, so creepy that every other Handel villain I have seen is genteel by comparison. Man, does Abrahamyan have acting (and singing) chops. Interesting production concept but so, so brutal that there is no happy ending. I was actually crying at the end. Oh, the singing you ask? Great all around. I'm so glad I went.

SaSherka, Spun Silver and kwanfan1818 like this.
  17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

delete - double post

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I'm so glad to hear about it, @emason -- I was hoping you could go!

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I'm already plotting how to come back again, either for another opera or the ballet. Loved the opera house: such a beautiful space, and now that I know how easy it is to get to Toronto from NY on Porter Air there is no excuse not to come back. Now it's off to Mississauga for Skate Canada.

Back to opera: what can anyone tell me about Abrahamyan? Until last night she was a total unknown to me.

ETA: big thanks to kwanfan1818 for suggesting I go to this.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    kwanfan1818 likes this.
  20. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Anyone watching the Met on HD this season? I was planning on seeing Don Giovanni, but didn't end up making it. I'm thinking of going to Nabucco in January.

Wyliefan likes this.
  21. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I know very little about opera. When taking a theater class at college we were required to go see a comic one-act opera, Gianni Schicchi, and I thought it was funny and wonderful.

Wyliefan likes this.
  22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I went to the encore last night. At intermission, I posted in my Facebook opera group, "I had forgotten how much these characters irritate me. Good thing the music is so good." :lol:

The singing was great, though. And if Keenlyside sounded completely loopy in his backstage interview, well, at least he's a good singer!

SaSherka, kwanfan1818 and agalisgv like this.
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    agalisgv and emason like this.
  24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I cannot believe I have neglected to buy a ticket to see Idomeneo in the house, because well, I am an Alice Coote fan, am I not? Will rectify this oversight as soon as I get home from Skate Canada.

SaSherka, dinakt and kwanfan1818 like this.
  25. BlueRidge

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Whodda thunk a thread on Opera on FSU would have over 900 posts :cheer2:

Available for free streaming for 90 days on:

There are no direct links, but click "Live" from the top menu and scroll, or if they get bumped, click "Still Available in Delayed Streaming."

Richard Tucker Gala 2016. The recipient this year is soprano Tamara Wilson. The info page, including program, is:
    http://www.medici.tv/#!/richard-tucker-opera-gala

The quality was excellent. Highlights for me were Jamie Barton ("Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix" from "Samson et Delilah" -- I love where this sits in her voice) and Joyce Di Donato ("Si, son io" from Jake Heggie's "Great Scott"), individually and together in a duet from "Giulio Cesare," the tenor sing-off between Lawrence Brownlee and Javier Camarena in Rossini's "Otello."

Joyce DiDonato Master Classes, three over three days from Carnegie Hall. On Sunday, she finished, changed, and sang in the Richard Tucker Gala. The info pages are:
    http://www.medici.tv/#!/joyce-didonato-master-class-carnegie-hall-day-1-2016-2
    http://www.medici.tv/#!/joyce-didonato-master-class-carnegie-hall-day-2-2016-2
    http://www.medici.tv/#!/joyce-didonato-master-class-carnegie-hall-day-3-2016-2

I cannot believe the mezzo singing "Parto, parto" is 19... Her parents were in the audience, and the pay-off is (I <3) JDD's advice to her at the end of Day 3.

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

agalisgv and Spun Silver like this.
  28. BlueRidge

Well and apparently you can't just sprinkle ashes anywhere you want.

I am glad it wasn't something bad but its kind of sad this person didn't have the sense to understand he couldn't do this or at least ask before trying. There must have been some other way of achieving his goal of honoring someone who had died.

Cachoo likes this.
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

There are plants and trees and dirt on either side of the Metropolitan Opera House, in front of the Library and in Damrosch Park. He might have dropped a pinch of ashes in the side of the orchestra pit and put the rest outdoors in Lincoln Center without much notice.

dinakt likes this.
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Did anyone go to see William Tell at the Met? Or are planning to go to any of the remaining performances on November 5, 9, or 12th? If it's even half as good live as it is over Sirius,
    :swoon: :cheer2: :kickass:.

Gerald Finley. Gerald Finley. Gerald Finley. Gerald Finley. Did I mention Gerald Finley? :inavoid:

And the chorus, wheeeeeeeee!

Marina Rebeka and Bryan Hymel John Osborn (his only performance of Arnold) are no slouches, either. If I'm following the plot correctly, neither is John Relyea, who is back from some rockiness over the past few years. One of the bass/bass-baritones in Act I has a big wobble -- I think it was the guy singing the father -- but that's my only quibble.

If you go, please, please, please report back on it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.