"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arakwafan2006

To me, I think you can tell when a choreographer really likes a skater and doesn't merely know how to mash up their elements in a way to save face. David made her program very personal and you can see that Mirai gets it. It's her best work of the past 4 years.

I edited this post because Spun Silver read it and of all the things to comment on, they chose the letter " s" at the end of program(s) to comment on. I changed it so that nobody thinks that I THINK David Wilson had anything to do with her short program

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Mirai's quote about the head and neck rolls was hilarious.

I love her FS, but of course I've rerranged it in my head. I do this with most programs I love, lol.

Stupid rules....clearly the steps would be a lot more effective with the instrumental piano, but that comes too late in the program to get four jumping passes after it...le sigh.

arakwafan2006

Mirai's quote about the head and neck rolls was hilarious.

I love her FS, but of course I've rerranged it in my head. I do this with most programs I love, lol.

Stupid rules....clearly the steps would be a lot more effective with the instrumental piano, but that comes too late in the program to get four jumping passes after it...le sigh.

The trade off is unfortunate.

arakwafan2006

I agree.

David Wilson is the man. :cool: A mighty, mighty, mighty good man (yes he is). :psoty:

I get happier about her long program every single day, he nailed it.

I'm hit or miss on his work. I'm thrilled to see what he does with Tessa and Scott but usually I prefer Lori to him. There were a few years where he was EVeryone was using him and I think he was burnt out ( my idea unconfirmed ). Now, his load is more dispersed and every lady is t using him. He turned Mirai's career into a program.

Someone wrote above that the program doesn't climax and revealed their knowledge about music and how moment effects emotion etc. David did it right here. He's clearly capitalizing on Mirai being a woman but didn't go the "slutty Shrouded in sexy" route( wouldn't have worked for Mirai). He didn't give her a warhorse number that she could have done well but wouldn't have been personal. Nope! He gave her this. No overused music.

There is a reason choreographers like Marina Zueva ( be nice guys), Lori and David etc. have remained at the top. There is a reason they are expensive. There is a reason skaters are loyal to them. They're really good!!!!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
That entire section could use new choreo IMO. I think the detail wasn't priority so much as getting the base done and making sure the idea clicks. (And the choreo/phrasing flowing naturally)

There is so much potential here I could just scream, it's like having to clean up a really dusty golden unicorn. That's all that's missing really is some detail and polish here and there, but this program is still a (potential) friggen unicorn.

He really brought his A game, I didn't see the vision for his "Guys and Dolls" LP for Javi at first, and then the Worlds LP smacked a lot of sense into me. :shuffle: This one is different.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

To me, I think you can tell when a choreographer really likes a skater and doesn't merely know how to mash up their elements in a way to save face. David made her programs very personal and you can see that Mirai gets it. It's her best work of the past 4 years
The SP is by Jeff Bultle, not David Wilson.

smarts1

Am I the only one who doesn't really like the LP? It has potential but the same tune and same line 15 times during the LP kind of ruins it. The last 15 seconds are really good though.

My least favorite choreography is when skaters hold a spiral position for half a second. What is the point of that. It's not aesthetically pleasing, and it always looks like it was put there because no one could think of anything else to put there plus it looks like a throwaway element. I hope they get rid of it before the loop.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Or she could hold is a bit longer with an arm movement before the loop. I hope they keep it. I have warmed up to the programs. I wasn't sure about the Mirai's 2010 programs in the summer either but they definitely came around in the end.

maureenfarone

It's been a wonderful 2016, but this article on the Collegiate Championships, with plenty of mentions of past champions but no mention of last year's champ, MIRAI, brought out the chip on my shoulder. I know, I know, small potatoes....

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=89836&type=media
I agree it was rude to not mention Mirai. However, I will take comfort in the fact that Mirai was invited to skate on tour with Mao Asada! No one mentioned in the article is skating on Mao's tour.

Sylvia

TBD
It's been a wonderful 2016, but this article on the Collegiate Championships, with plenty of mentions of past champions but no mention of last year's champ, MIRAI, brought out the chip on my shoulder. I know, I know, small potatoes....
I assume she wasn't mentioned because she is not competing there this year.

Part 3:
Creating the program: Nagasu hits competition ice
Zakrajsek puts elements in place, skater debuts new free at Skate Detroit
Posted 7/28/16 by Sarah. S Brannen, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/07/28/192249610
"I've never competed this soon after getting programs," she said. "I think I need better balance in where the jumps go. Overall, I accomplished getting my programs out there. I did it more for the judges to see my program; that's why we all do these summer competitions."
"Right now, I'm still working on just getting through the program," Nagasu said. "It's a lot to handle still. Long programs weren't made to be easy! I love the footwork; I love how musical it is. There's a part where I get down on my knee -- it takes a lot of energy to do it at this point in the program, but it's like a metaphor, that getting up is hard. I love that part. And I do a really difficult move, where I lean back before the axel."

Spun Silver

So now we know why her layback is always at the end! Very interesting breakdown of Tom Z's systematic timetable for getting a program in shape.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
This late start could be the best thing that could've happened this season (peaking). She seems so mad, so naturally her first GP will probably be awesome.

I'm so optimistic about her this year I could just do a goofy dance like Ellen. :cheer: Anything is possible (maybe, but very possibly not, but still). :kickass:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Well, I have watched both the SP and LP. First GREAT costumes.. always about 10% over designed and over worked but those dresses are never boring. Now that Alissa is gone I think she is best dressed in USA.

The SP needs work and I love the dress for this. I hope that will be her performance dress.

The free... it really needs some Oksana Baiul-like drama when performed in the fall. Like Eva Peron reaching out to her audience kind of a feel. I hope we dont get an expressionless feel in her emotions for this program. Like she knows now where she stands in life, all her chips are in and going for bust! If she did that I think she could draw in any audience and have them on their feet halfway through.

This free needs a MUCH better ending pose or choreo-step..That didnt sell the performance, the lyrics or the feel. Was kind alike a throwaway.... "Ok, its over" kind of a feel. More emotion!!!!!!!

I hope for an all gold dress for this. Or even an all silver dress for this. To perhaps play with the irony. And something stunning. This blue dress is more like a Moonlight Sonata dress or soemthing. Anyway I love both music choices but I hope for emotion eleganza!!!!!!

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
She has used both of these outfits before. The blue one is over two years old I believe and used a lot so we she will probably have a new one for the long program. I like the idea of sleeves for the short program so maybe she will keep the basic idea of the red. I think she only used it twice last season for fall competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information