Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allskate

Heh. The ads here are pretty clever. There's one offering me a free 45-day Hulu trial. :D I may need to try that.

What are your Hulu favorites?

VGThuy

I just finished the first season of The Durells [in Corfu] on Amazon Prime, and I'm really in love with this show. It's not the greatest show ever but it just feels good to watch and it's highly entertaining.

Allskate

I just finished the first season of The Durells [in Corfu] on Amazon Prime, and I'm really in love with this show. It's not the greatest show ever but it just feels good to watch and it's highly entertaining.

ITA. It's the best thing I've watched lately. It's engaging escapism and good for my soul. I'm glad that they're doing another season. It's apparently based on memoirs by the youngest son -- the animal lover, not the novelist. I might check out his trilogy.

VGThuy

ITA. It's the best thing I've watched lately. It's engaging escapism and good for my soul. I'm glad that they're doing another season. It's apparently based on memoirs by the youngest son -- the animal lover, not the novelist. I might check out his trilogy.

I'm inspired to do so myself. I found an available to stream version of season 2 that is currently airing on ITV right now. This show really is one of the best things I've seen in a while and I've been enjoying tons of shows lately.

I do think the show probably has the best opening title sequence I've seen in a while as well.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
I really want to see The Handmaid's Tale, but I'm balking subscribing to Hulu. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Is another subscription worth it?

I had been balking for the same reason but I caved yesterday just for The Handmaid's Tale. I was going to wait until the entire series had aired so that I could binge watch it with the free trial, but I have a weekend ahead of me where I'm at loose ends for a few reasons so here I am. We'll see if I cancel after the series is over, but I somehow see myself getting sucked in :shuffle:

Anyway, I've only watched one episode, but it's very good so far. I'd loved the book and I was very happy with what they've done with bringing it too life, although I do agree that it hits a little too close to home right now. My only minor complaint is that
I wish that they would have started with Offred in her room, all meek, and then flashed back to her trying to escape a bit later, rather than starting with the escape.

oleada

I'm loving Cable Girls on Netflix. My mom actually recommended it. If you're up to subtitles (thought it's also dubbed), it's good, feminist, soapy fun. It's about four young women in 1920s Madrid fighting for their independence. Great dynamics between the four main characters and featuring drama, infidelity, blackmail and ambition :watch:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I'm loving Cable Girls on Netflix. My mom actually recommended it. If you're up to subtitles (thought it's also dubbed), it's good, feminist, soapy fun. It's about four young women in 1920s Madrid fighting for their independence. Great dynamics between the four main characters and featuring drama, infidelity, blackmail and ambition :watch:
Sounds good. It reminds me the American series with women working in a newspaper during the 70s, good girls revolt. Also a great serie with really good acting and a lot of interesting elements about feminism.

Fabrichnova

I disliked the first two episodes (and I adored the first two Megan Follows films), but then starting with episode 3 (which is incidentally when Gilbert arrives), I really started to love this new version.

As the reviews indicate, the series is darker in tone, but after the first two episodes, I think the show starts to strike a balance between the "grittier" modern take and remaining faithful to the source material. By the end, I appreciated their willingness to deviate somewhat from the original. Ultimately I think it services the spirit of the Anne story instead of distracting from it. But if you're looking for a straight, 100% faithful version, you should probably stick to the books.

VGThuy

I was looking forward to it when I saw it on my Netflix recommendations, and then I read a few reviews and I believe I'll skip it. HuffPo and Vanity Fair were incredibly harsh on it and used it to speak about some of the problems of television today even if we're in an artistic high. From what they had to say, I believe I would share their opinions.

Marta24

I watched Anne with an e on Netflix and I liked that it didn`t try to copy the Megan Follows movies. Those movies were wonderful and are definitely closer to the book. The TV show has more its focus on issues that were hinted only at in the books and being a TV show it can give much more backstory to different characters. I think the casting is great, Anne and Gilbert look exactly how I imagined them when I read the books the first time. So, I hope they will get a second season to continue the story.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I love the Megan Follows movies (especially the first one, but I'll always be sad that Anne of the Island didn't get its own movie), but I don't hate the thought of a new adaptation for the Anne of Green Gables books. But I started watching the new one on Netflix last night and while I appreciate its honesty in addressing the abuse that Anne probably did experience, I thought it lacked some charm. There's a lightness missing, plus I don't love all of the changes to the storylines of certain characters. I think it's well cast though, and it has tons of potential. So I'm hoping it gets a second season and more

shan

I disliked the first two episodes (and I adored the first two Megan Follows films), but then starting with episode 3 (which is incidentally when Gilbert arrives), I really started to love this new version.

As the reviews indicate, the series is darker in tone, but after the first two episodes, I think the show starts to strike a balance between the "grittier" modern take and remaining faithful to the source material. By the end, I appreciated their willingness to deviate somewhat from the original. Ultimately I think it services the spirit of the Anne story instead of distracting from it. But if you're looking for a straight, 100% faithful version, you should probably stick to the books.

I've only seen the first episode and struggled through parts of it. Maybe I was tired, but my mind wandered during parts and I wasn't a fan of gritty, dark flashbacks. I hadn't planned to keep watching, but after reading the comments here, I think I'll keep watching. I do want to see what they do with Gilbert's character.

altai_rose

I love the Megan Follows movies (especially the first one, but I'll always be sad that Anne of the Island didn't get its own movie), but I don't hate the thought of a new adaptation for the Anne of Green Gables books. But I started watching the new one on Netflix last night and while I appreciate its honesty in addressing the abuse that Anne probably did experience, I thought it lacked some charm. There's a lightness missing, plus I don't love all of the changes to the storylines of certain characters. I think it's well cast though, and it has tons of potential. So I'm hoping it gets a second season and more
Absolutely agree. I'm halfway through the first episode. Not a fan of the flashbacks. Even more not a fan of the extra 'girl power' dialogue. It's cringeworthy. Makes Anne seem like she has an attitude problem. Her character is even unlikeable at times, which is completely out of character. I also prefer Megan Follows as Anne--she has more lightness, more charm. I'll still continue watching it, because the scenery is beautiful, and plus, I'm a sucker for anything Anne of Green Gables.

Last edited:

Fabrichnova

I've only seen the first episode and struggled through parts of it. Maybe I was tired, but my mind wandered during parts and I wasn't a fan of gritty, dark flashbacks. I hadn't planned to keep watching, but after reading the comments here, I think I'll keep watching. I do want to see what they do with Gilbert's character.

I felt the exact same way. The first two episodes were grittier than I was interested in watching, but I'm glad I stuck it out. To be honest, you could probably just skip ahead to Episode 3, where it gets a lot better.

I just finished the entire first season, and I didn't love 1, 2 and the finale (which felt like a completely different show), but I loved Episodes 3-6. Overall, I thought the changes help illuminate things about Anne in a way the previous versions hadn't, so I'd say it was mostly effective. And I'm definitely curious to see what happens if there's a second season (which it sounds like there will be).

clairecloutier

I haven't watched any of the new series; doubt I will. I'm too big a fan of the Meagan Follows series. It's interesting they chose to go in a grittier, darker direction ... but that, to me, is a question mark. I just reread the first book and what struck me the most is how serene & peaceful Avonlea is. The subtext is clear: Anne's past is sorrowful and sad and probably worse than actually depicted in the novel; Avonlea is her refuge and safe place, and that's why she loves it so much. It has a special meaning for her. Anne is one of those people with the gift of looking forward, not dwelling in the past; so lots of dark flashbacks to her childhood feels a little against the spirit of the story, as envisioned by Montgomery.

gkelly

I just finished watching the first season of The Missing on Starz On Demand.

It was sad.

The main female character is named Emily Hughes, so I occasionally thought of the skater even though they have nothing else in common.

Then I was just reading the latest Skating magazine and skater Emily turned up twice there.

Tesla

Whippet Good
So I'm seriously considering subscribing to AcornTV but I'm bummed that you no longer get a free month's trial. When did they switch it to just a week? I'm very good at talking myself out of things, so I'm still hesitant on actually subscribing. :p

TheGirlCanSkate

I like Anne with an E but with some reservations - I think Anne is not really likeable and way too um...loud? and she is too old. It did not start at age 13. But as a show with great costumes (Marilla's belt? LOVE!) and scenery it is fine. My daughter liked the first books but had no interest in the rest, maybe it is too old fashioned. Even the dark scenes have no hook for her. They really took the idea of being "plain" to heart in the casting of Anne. The PBS recent version played a much more likeable Anne. http://www.pbs.org/program/anne-green-gables/ I also liked the Megan "Anne" but if I were to pick a tv book period adaption, I think I liked Christy more.

VGThuy

Elisabeth Moss HAS to win all of the awards. There is nobody, and I mean nobody, giving a better performance on television than she is on The Handmaid's Tale right now, and there are a lot of A+ performances on TV right now.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I've watched "13 Reasons Why".

It's dark, it's sad, it's extremly well written, the actors are amazing.

It's not something, you'd like to bingewatch. I was glad, it was at times quite slow paced. This gave me time to let the story sink in. I don't know the book. Actually, I've never had heard of it before.

I'd say: Don't watch more than three episodes a day, and when you do, stay away for one or two days.

I watched 10 episodes this weekend. :shuffle:

centerstage01

I started watching The Man In The High Castle on Prime and am really liking it. Very thought provoking and unnerving. I understand there's going to be a third season which is why I've held off on reading the Philip K. Dick novel because the inevitable comparisons will drive me crazy.

Nan

Just me, retired
I started watching The Man In The High Castle on Prime and am really liking it. Very thought provoking and unnerving. I understand there's going to be a third season which is why I've held off on reading the Philip K. Dick novel because the inevitable comparisons will drive me crazy.
I watched the first season but haven't found enough quiet time to dive into season two. I'm very happy there will be another season.

screech

Having watched both seasons, I didn't like season 2 as much as season 1. DJ Qualls character came into his own a bit more (though I still find it hard to see him as a dramatic actor), and I liked the antiques store owner a lot more in season 2 as well. I didn't like Joe's storyline as much, and I've found Frank annoying from the get go. Love Rufus Sewell, though.

Some parts of season 2 were done really well though. Like the storyline with Smith's son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information