1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jan 24, 2016.

1. WanderlustTO

WanderlustTO Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

GSD news/discussion thread: Nathan Chen has undergone left hip surgery, out for rest of 2015-16 season

ETA:
    Thanks for sharing that anecdote! :) Wishing Nathan all the best for a successful rehabilitation/recovery process.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    skatesindreams likes this.
  3. Sylvia

4. Dobre

Dobre Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you. I like his exhibition. It has class and personality.

paskatefan likes this.
  5. BittyBug

BittyBug Awakening to an Orwellian Nightmare

Can anyone clarify his coaching situation? Is he back with Arutynyan? Exclusively or is he splitting his time between Arutynyan and Zueva?

6. Sylvia

paskatefan and BittyBug like this.
  7. DDNatalia

DDNatalia Well-Known Member

Seems his coaching situation is very fluid. There will need to come a point during the season where not having disruption would presumably be helpful. Basically there's a major competition now every month through March that he is lined up to compete at.

My gut impression is that he looked adorable and happy with Marina in the K&C, very proud, encouraged, mutually pleased. And then at NHK Raf seemed like he was trying to be more 'huggy' positive than would seem to be his (Raf's) 'norm'

Sasha'sSpins and skateboy like this.
  8. Sylvia

From the Grand Prix Final Team USA preview article - Nathan clarifies his coaching situation: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/12/06/210443320
    Today is the last day to vote for Nathan in the USOC's online poll for Best Male Athlete of November here: http://awards.teamusa.org/#cat_203

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The past was alterable. The past had never been altered. Rafael Artunian was his head coach. Rafael Artunian had always been his head coach. :COP:

Sasha'sSpins likes this.
  10. Sylvia

Today I came across these 2 Nathan Chen articles that were published before the start of the Grand Prix Final (these links also are posted in the U.S. Men's thread):

By Amy Donaldson-Brass for TeamUSA.org (Dec. 8, 2016): Nathan Chen Taking Small Steps, Quad Leaps Toward American History

By Nick Zaccardi for NBCSports.com's Olympic Talk (Dec. 7, 2016): Nathan Chen, once the darling boy of U.S. figure skating, is now a leading man
    This one includes the NBC video of a 10-year-old Nathan's 2010 Nationals exhibition skate ("Peter and the Wolf" was his winning Novice free skate, his first of 2 consecutive Novice titles).

11. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

Congrats to Nathan, who has set himself up as the favorite for next month's US nationals. What a skate today!

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Nathan! (I prefer the SP, but wow to the quads!!) :cheer2:

13. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Well-Known Member

He really showed his ability at the Grand Prix Final. I'm looking forward to see what he can do at Nationals next month.

Sasha'sSpins, paskatefan and Weve3 like this.
  14. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

I think Nathan's skating skills are good, and, as a result, his jumps look even more impressive.

15. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

ABC showed that feature during the week of his first success at Nationals.
    It was extraordinary, since NBC had the rights to the competition.

barbarafan likes this.
  17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, I remember seeing that feature way back when. Nathan was on my radar during his junior career. He had a lot of setbacks with his growing pain injuries. Despite his numerous setbacks, I've always been amazed by his self-possession, precocious talent, competitive consistency and his absolute determination. Hopefully, he will also learn how to pace himself, as well as continue to hone his above average but still maturing artistic skills.

livetoskate likes this.
  18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

livetoskate and skateboy like this.
  19. Sylvia

20. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I love the self deprecation.

21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Will Nathan change his jump layout for the 2d half of the season in the LP? IOW, is he going to add a 4S and / or try for 5 quads? Looking at values, a 4S is only worth 0.2 over a 4T, but he has done a 4S and I thought that he noted in an Ice Network interview that he was going to put one in his program (older article before the GPF). Just curious.

If so, I wonder if he would slot one in for one of the 4toes or replace the 3X, and move the 3X to the 3L jumping pass, eliminating the 3L altogether.

Nathan's 3X looks good. Nice and straight. Patrick's 3X looks slightly off-axis mid-air, but both landed nicely.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  22. Tahuu

Tahuu Member

From his latest interview in Japan after the nhk trophy (translated by sheetz at GoldenSkate) Nathan seemed intended to put the 4S back in his FS. The interview is quite a good read. It reveals his mindset on doing the quads and goals for the season and beyond.

ADMIN EDIT: do not cross post entire content from another site. Use a link instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
    olympic and skatesindreams like this.
  23. Sylvia

Thanks for bringing this interview to our attention, @Tahuu - this should be the direct link to sheetz's translation posted at GS: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55407-Nathan-Chen&p=1582550&viewfull=1#post1582550

Phil Hersh's 12/15/16 article for IN: Chen's jumping display has skating world buzzing
    Excerpts:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I thought Nathan doesn't do a 4S now because it bothers his hip. I think he did at least one 4S at Nationals last year.

25. Sylvia

Nathan rotated/fell on 4S in his free skates at Finlandia Trophy and Trophee de France and did not attempt it at NHK Trophy or GPF. He is re-working the technique on his 4S - from his post-NHK/pre-GPF interview posted at GS:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  26. Tahuu

Tahuu Member

Oh gosh I didn't realize it. And thank @Sylvia for the link.

Dobre likes this.
  27. BittyBug

BittyBug Awakening to an Orwellian Nightmare

Here's another blast from the past: Nathan and the Spider, from one of the early Grass Roots to Champions competitions.

Cayuse, tlk and Dobre like this.
  28. Weve3

Weve3 Channeling my inner Savchenko

Aw, so sweet. Nathan is no bigger than a minute here. Time passes quickly. Love the spider. :)

Sasha'sSpins likes this.
  29. Sylvia

Link to the Salt Lake Tribune article on hometown skater Nathan (posted as a separate thread in GSD yesterday): http://www.sltrib.com/home/4777640-155/figure-skating-salt-lake-citys-nathan?fullpage=1
    Excerpts:
    This is the earliest competition video linked on Nathan's official website - his two Sectional Novice level programs from November 2009 (Kung Fu Panda SP and Peter and the Wolf FS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJM-0vOVRZU

30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member