Natalia Mishkutenok & Artur Dmitriev

Xela M

As some of you might have noticed I have a slight obsession with this pair and I can't find my old thread about them. :COP:

They were the perfect combination of subtle reserved beauty and intense fiery passion. Their two Olympic long programmes are my favourite pairs programmes ever. They skated with such freedom and they had incredible sexual chemistry which was a great contrast to G&G's perfect textbook fairy tale romance.

Anyway... I must have watched all their (very few) programmes and fluff pieces on youtube, but could anyone please feed my unhealthy crush with some more videos (pretty please)? In particular, does anyone have a record of their interview I think it was at the Challenger Series where Artur casually mentioned that he would find another partner and Natalia started crying? There is only a tiny clip from it in the 1994 Olympic fluff piece. :fan:

Any other thoughts/comments on this incredible team?

gk_891

A fantastically innovative team who skated with a ton of drama, fire, passion, and intensity. Technically, they had some noticeable issues but their programs (The Swan, Don Quixote, Liebestraum, Rachmaninoff) were always extremely memorable.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Xela... I agree... they are my FAV pairs team of all time... SO EXCITING to watch them back then.....

I also loved their Canadian rivals then too, Brasseur & Eisler... for different reasons... they were exciting to watch as well for their big tricks....

BUT Yes M&D are my all time fav team...

Is his son not having much success as a skater these days?

Does anyone ever spot Natalia in CO or TX, wherever she lives now?

I could watch their programs all day.....

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Xela... side note.. I ALWAYS have this vision in my head when I think of them... but I can never find it in a video...

I swear they had a move that stated as a spiral sequence (backwards moving) where Natalia would end it by raising one leg (boot) over Artur's head who was behind her and then rest that foot on his shoulder (both of them now in a backwards moving spiral position where they are connected to each other) . From there they would transition into their SBS spins..

But every time I go to youtube to watch videos I cant find a single video that shows this move...

Am I delusional?

Xela M

Xela... I agree... they are my FAV pairs team of all time... SO EXCITING to watch them back then.....

I also loved their Canadian rivals then too, Brasseur & Eisler... for different reasons... they were exciting to watch as well for their big tricks....

BUT Yes M&D are my all time fav team...

Is his son not having much success as a skater these days?

Does anyone ever spot Natalia in CO or TX, wherever she lives now?

I could watch their programs all day.....

I secretly liked B&E too. They were a great match and Lloyd's buffoon-like arrogance was just too funny.

Artur Jr should switch to pairs. He will never make it in singles. He doesn't want to be compared to his dad I guess.

Cachoo

I remember them on tour in the states after the silver medal in the 94 Olympics. I think the first stop was Atlanta? and they came out onto the ice and the crowd stood up before they started skating. There were a lot of folks--including me--who thought they were golden. In the end I don't really care about Olympic medals when it comes to my favorites and they are my favorite pair of all time.

gk_891

I remember them on tour in the states after the silver medal in the 94 Olympics. I think the first stop was Atlanta? and they came out onto the ice and the crowd stood up before they started skating. There were a lot of folks--including me--who thought they were golden. In the end I don't really care about Olympic medals when it comes to my favorites and they are my favorite pair of all time.

Were you there? If so, what program did they skate?

Xela M

Xela... side note.. I ALWAYS have this vision in my head when I think of them... but I can never find it in a video...

I swear they had a move that stated as a spiral sequence (backwards moving) where Natalia would end it by raising one leg (boot) over Artur's head who was behind her and then rest that foot on his shoulder (both of them now in a backwards moving spiral position where they are connected to each other) . From there they would transition into their SBS spins..

But every time I go to youtube to watch videos I cant find a single video that shows this move...

Am I delusional?

Do you mean this programme? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhz3b_tA9ps

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

HOLY CR*P!!

That was it.... I was 21/22 in 94..and I have NOT seen this since then...... OMG, I watched this performance over and over and over and over and over back then... LOL

SO passionate, so innovative.

AND YES this is where they executed that move.... Had they executed that move in any other performance?

OMG..its been 21 yrs........

Taso

Thanks for this thread! Liebestraum is my favorite pairs skating program of all time, and their performance of Rach 2 at the 1994 Olympics sold me on skating for life. Who dared to be that passionate and dramatic and emotional in front of the whole freakin world? These two. Sold me on the sport.

arakwafan2006

I Dont know if I agree with G&G winning over this team in 1994. Under COP, I think the results would have been different.

gk_891

I Dont know if I agree with G&G winning over this team in 1994. Under COP, I think the results would have been different.

For me, it's hard to say as I'm not fully aware as to how pairs is judged under COP today as I haven't watched pairs in a while. But G&G had more lifts (and all were more difficult than the two that M&D did IMO and Sergei's feet during lifts are a lot neater and cleaner than Artur's), G&G had a unison problem on their SBS spins but they did a much more difficult set of SBS spins than M&D, they had a far superior split triple twist, G&G had much bigger throws with superior flow, they did 2 death spirals to M&D's one, and their edging was a lot cleaner and quieter. OTOH, M&D did SBS triple toe loops and a throw triple toe loop as opposed to G&G's throw double axel. Is there anyone here who's familiar with pairs' COP who can chime in as to how the 2 pairs would've been marked under COP?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

As much as I have a sentimental heart for G&G when I watch BOTH teams SP and BOTH team LP for me it was a clear win to Natalia & Artur.....

It also seemed politics got in for G&G more than M&D

BOTH teams BRILLIANT....

Xela M

G&G had the backing of the Russian Federation and were the pre-determined winners in everyone's eyes before they even skated. They were also perfect in all their practices at Lillehammer whereas M&D were terrible in practice. No one expected M&D to skate like they did when it mattered and G&G to show nerves in both their programmes. The commentators annoyed me so much when they played down G&G's "minor"mistakes and called their performances "perfection" when they were NOT perfect. It also annoyed me that M&D were not even CLOSE to winning which was so clearly unfair.

The 1994 pairs event was just insane quality though with everyone skating great. To me M&D were the obvious winners, although I don't know how the event would be judged under COP. I could watch their Rachmaninov over and over and over again and never get tired of it. They were also the crowd's favourites that night and I think Katia mentioned in her book how upset she was when M&D got a better reaction from the crowd than them and that Sergei wanted to return in 1998 because he was unhappy with the way he had skated that night.

M&D's (and Moskvina's) reaction to their loss was so graceful that it should be studied by all skaters (especially Canadians :cold: ) as a lesson on good sportsmanship. No hysterical tears on the podium, no "we wuz robbed" interviews, no blaming the judges or conspiracy theories. They said "the best pair won" and Moskvina gave her infamous "some people like the priest, some people like the priest's wife and some people like the priest's daughter" explanation even though she was probably secretly fuming as G&G beat another of her pairs.

WanderlustTO

I always loved M&D - their 1992 LP program was my favourite - and one of the greatest programs in pairs' history.

As far as 1994 goes, I don't agree they were the 'obvious winners' - G&G, although not perfect, were still, in my mind, the rightful gold medalists.

Despite Dmitriev's success with Kazakova, I always found them utterly forgettable.

Japanfan

As far as 1994 goes, I don't agree they were the 'obvious winners' - G&G, although not perfect, were still, in my mind, the rightful gold medalists.

It really could have gone either way. But M&D's performance to me was the more memorable one.

Despite Dmitriev's success with Kazakova, I always found them utterly forgettable.

I'll never forget their win at the '98 OG because I was so rooting for them and thought the judges favoured B&S. When B&S fell at the end of their LP I admit that I was :cheer:. And was so pumped when D&K rose to the occasion of the LP, though I don't remember which team skated first.

Xela M

I'll never forget their win at the '98 OG because I was so rooting for them and thought the judges favoured B&S. When B&S fell at the end of their LP I admit that I was :cheer:. And was so pumped when D&K rose to the occasion of the LP, though I don't remember which team skated first.

Grrrrrr I absolutely hated K&D and it was so obvious the judges wanted to hand B&S the Gold on a plate because they also found K&D and that awful death spiral insufferable. That's why they placed B&S 3rd in the short, but B&S were their usual headcase selves (especially Anton).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It really could have gone either way. But M&D's performance to me was the more memorable one.

Can you please call them K&D, the way pairs are always called (lady first)?

B&S were superior skaters, but inexperienced. Just because the judges favored them, you disliked them?

K&D skated after B&S - to answer your question.

In any case, this thread is about M&D. In 1994 Olympics I really couldn't choose between M&D and G&G. I wish there had been a double gold medal there.

Last edited:

Xela M

Those exhibition programmes are amazing. The Biellmann death spiralis just to die for! I loved it in their 1992 free skate too.

On a side note, apparently at Sergei's funeral Katia's parents asked Artur to pair up with Katia, but he refused to even have a try out. I wonder what Gordeeva/Dmitriev would have been like. Two different schools and completely opposing styles of skating.

gk_891

Those exhibition programmes are amazing. The Biellmann death spiralis just to die for! I loved it in their 1992 free skate too.

On a side note, apparently at Sergei's funeral Katia's parents asked Artur to pair up with Katia, but he refused to even have a try out. I wonder what Gordeeva/Dmitriev would have been like. Two different schools and completely opposing styles of skating.

I'm not so sure if they would've made for a good pair. Gordeeva's skating is about ease and lightness while Dmitriev was much rougher around the edges and skated with a lot of passion and reckless and abandon. But who knows, they could've been an awesome pair for all I know. Anissina & Peizerat were opposites in many ways but together they were an incredible ice dance team.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I think her parents were just being parents. Katia had said that there would not be another Sergei (her pairs partner). Later she refused to skate with Denis Petrov when the opportunity was there. I don't think Gordeeva-Dmitriev pairing would have worked anyway. Their styles were completely different. Artur was right in refusing.

unchat123

Later she refused to skate with Denis Petrov when the opportunity was there.

Are you referring to SOI circa early 2000s when Elena Bechke retired and Denis kept skating? My understanding was that Denis was supposed to do pairs numbers with Kristi and Katia but then Katia got pregnant with Liza, so he skated with Kristi and Jenni Meno (and was apparently very disappointed that he couldn't skate with Katia).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Are you referring to SOI circa early 2000s when Elena Bechke retired and Denis kept skating? My understanding was that Denis was supposed to do pairs numbers with Kristi and Katia but then Katia got pregnant with Liza, so he skated with Kristi and Jenni Meno (and was apparently very disappointed that he couldn't skate with Katia).

I was talking about SOI, but not the kind you are talking about. I remember reading that Denis was interested in skating real pairs with Katia after Bechke retired, but Katia had no interest.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Here is a link for an exhibition by M&D in 1989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chf2cNf_hzA

This is one of my all time favorite exhibition programs (1994 Olympics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xyD7cnmIAU

HOLY CR*P

Thank you for sharing these.... OMG THE SKATE AMERICA one... WOWWWWWWWWW... ALWAYS loved when they would end a program with that unique death spiral with her on the ice..

Skaters are no longer allowed to lay down on the ice as part of choreography, is this correct?

AND LOOK HOW something like a Skate America packed the house back then..... Ive been to 2 Skate Americas recently...and I thought attendance.... was.... dismal..... Only good thing about that was it was much easier for me to barge my way up to skaters like MISS ANGIE Nikodinov, Alissa C, Brain J, Peter Tch, Tan and Ben, Miki, Julia Seb, etc etc

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I was talking about SOI, but not the kind you are talking about. I remember reading that Denis was interested in skating real pairs with Katia after Bechke retired, but Katia had no interest.

I wonder why she declined. She did some pairs with Kulik on the tour, and Kulik isn't even a pairs skater, but he was already her love interest by then I believe.

I remember she didn't like skating singles at first since her jumps were inconsistent and she was competitive and wanted to land the jumps and do well. It must have been hard from her being used to winning any event as a pairs competitor, to let go of that drive even as a singles skater. Once pro competitions mostly disappeared and she only had to worry about performance as a singles skater with few jumps she seemed much happier.

Plusdinfo

I'm yet another fan who likes Mishkutenok and Dmitriev more than any other pair. Thanks for the memories.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I wonder why she declined. She did some pairs with Kulik on the tour, and Kulik isn't even a pairs skater, but he was already her love interest by then I believe.

I remember she didn't like skating singles at first since her jumps were inconsistent and she was competitive and wanted to land the jumps and do well. It must have been hard from her being used to winning any event as a pairs competitor, to let go of that drive even as a singles skater. Once pro competitions mostly disappeared and she only had to worry about performance as a singles skater with few jumps she seemed much happier.

She didn't really skate pairs with Kulik; they did a few pairs moves, that's all. Nobody knows what was in her mind, but I think she didn't want to skate pairs with anyone but Sergei. She did occasional pairs moves with other skaters. I remember her doing a few moves with Anton Sikharulidze at a Valentine's day show, and with someone else before him, in the same program.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
It makes sense not wanting to skate pairs with anyone but Sergei, but I had thought she did some real pairs with Kulik in SOI, and he isn't even a pairs skater. If she didn't then never mind.

She seemed very happy skating singles on SOI, and less stressed than competitions where she seemed worried about landing the jumps and triples she didn't need in pairs.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It makes sense not wanting to skate pairs with anyone but Sergei, but I had thought she did some real pairs with Kulik in SOI, and he isn't even a pairs skater. If she didn't then never mind.

She seemed very happy skating singles on SOI, and less stressed than competitions where she seemed worried about landing the jumps and triples she didn't need in pairs.

Kulik was VERY limited as a pairs skater. I really don't see him as a pairs skater. I don't believe they did real pairs skating. They did a few lifts and spins. It wasn't like skating with Sergei. Just some show stuff. Even Natalia skated pairs with her first husband in a pro competition, but I don't consider that as pairs skating either. They just did some lifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information