1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie Award Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by VIETgrlTerifa, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, Russian ladies

I agree with Allskate. Taraji was the only lead in this movie. It was her story. Everyone else was a supporting actor/actress. It was a good team, so it was deserving of the Best Ensemble award.

Seerek likes this.
  2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed The Hollywood Reporter's Actress Roundtable this year featuring Emma Stone, Taraji P. Henson, Annette Bening, Natalie Portman, Naomie Harris, Isabelle Huppert, and Amy Adams. You really get an insight into how each of them approaches the craft (some different than others) and you get a really good sense of their personalities here as well. Amy Adams, especially, is pretty revealing here. I'm also in love with the bluntness of Isabelle Huppert. She just gives no f*cks, and I think the other women were in awe of her with Annette Bening being intrigued. Taraji P. Henson clearly loves what she's doing and seems like tons of fun. I also didn't realize Naomie Harris only had 3 days to shoot her scenes in Moonlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZVY7O2Ku0

made_in_canada likes this.
  3. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. What a great group of women!

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

5. Vash01

With her BAFTA win, Emma Stones seems to be the front runner now for the best actress Oscar.

Viola Davis is likely to win the best supporting actress and LaKa Land will win the best picture. Not much suspense in the top awards this year, so now I am interested in the other awards, like screenplay, editing, sound, and Foreign language film.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

I sort of wish we had less awards leading up to Oscar season (or BAFTA took place after the Oscars like it used to) because the Oscars have been predictable for the longest time. Maybe move Oscar back to March just so the frontrunners can lose some steam and some runner-ups can gain steam.

7. Vash01

I agree, The Oscars have become too predictable. I would rather have only the Golden Globes before the Oscars. I would actually go for an early Oscars ceremony. Let others win their awards later.

8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Isabelle Huppert wasn't eligible for a BAFTA, though, because her movie isn't released in the UK until March, apparently. So Emma's win here isn't a great predictor. She is definitely the frontrunner, though.

9. Kasey

Kasey Correcting President Trump's grammar on Twitter :)

Of all of them nominated for best picture, I have only seen Fences and Manchester by the Sea (I also saw Loving)....I'm not much of a movie-goer. I would be rather happy if Denzel won everything all the time, but I admit, Casey Affleck was powerful. And while I haven't seen Elle, and I'm sure Huppert is remarkable, I would love to see Ruth Negga win; she was stellar.

Interesting, that this time last year with the whole "Oscar so white" issue, "Birth of a Nation" was being spoken of as a lock in so many categories, and was completely wiped out. Partly, it's a shame that one person's past history will impact the entire film, because some of the work was really outstanding; but then, public shaming is rather effective at times. (Woody Allen, however, continues to make successful films....)

10. Vash01

I have seen all except Moonlight from the BP nominated movies. I probably liked Hidden Figures the most.

11. Nell411

Nell411 Between the click of the light and

She's won every other award except the Critics Choice Award though. That's usually a solid indicator of frontrunner status. She was getting frontrunner hype as early as the Venice Film Festival.

I will admit I do actively enjoy the idea of Emma Stone and Viola Davis winning their Oscars in the same year. It's like a mini The Help reunion.

I'm really interested in how the Best Actor race will go. Even though Casey Affleck has won every award accept the SAG, the last time the SAG winner didn't win Best Actor at the Oscars was when Johnny Depp won the SAG for Pirates of the Caribbean. So Denzel Washington has a very real chance to sneak in there.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

Emma Stone is definitely the front runner and will most likely win the Oscar. That said, she has never beaten Isabelle Huppert all awards season, which is why some think Huppert could pull off a win.

13. Vash01

Meryl Streep won SAG for Doubt but didn't win the Oscar

14. VIETgrlTerifa

And Kate Winslet won BAFTA for The Reader. Also, Kate Winslet won SAG for The Reader but in the supporting actress category. Streep won for Doubt when she was up against Winslet in Revolutionary Road. So it was a bit different. It's hard to say someone who won the Globe, SAG, and BAFTA won't win the Oscar, but trends have been broken before and this is also a special case where Huppert wasn't nominated for SAG and wasn't eligible for BAFTA, so Huppert never lost to Stone as of yet. Huppert is also a strong contender because she has traction due to winning a slew of critics' awards (by far won the most critics awards out of the other nominees), won the Globe over early front-runner Portman, and is campaigning hard unlike other Oscar nominees who weren't nominated for SAG and other awards. I'd still put my money on Stone, but I think Huppert may be a spoiler and wouldn't be too surprised if she pulled off an upset due to the above factors.

15. Vash01

I think Stone is more in line with what Oscar voters like. Past example: Gwyneth Paltro (SIL) against Cate Blanchet (Elizabeth) and the Brazilian actress. Huppert's role is too complicated for Oscars- JMO. Besides, Stone has a lot of momentum, with La La Land being the front runner for many major awards, including BP. I remember that way back LA Confidential won a lot of critics' awards but the Oscars went to Titanic (not the acting ones though).

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  16. VIETgrlTerifa

You're right in that critics awards ultimately don't result in actual Oscars, but they help push someone who someone working a good campaign for them. I think they're the reason why Huppert is being spoken about as a spoiler rather than a filler nominee. Industry awards and BAFTA due to overlap in membership are the best predictors.

17. Nell411

Nell411 Between the click of the light and

The article I was reading in relation to the SAG awards and Best Actor was specifically about the Best Lead Actor category. The last time the Best Lead Actor winner at SAG didn't win Best Lead Actor at the Oscars was Johnny Depp for the first Pirates movie.
    Another reason I think why La La Land has so much hype (including Stone's performance) is because it's a happier movie. It's kind of fairy tale like and it's got lovely music. The Academy might seem more inclined to reward a happier movie and performance over a more intense performance.

I can see why people think Huppert could spoil though. I kind of want Ruth Negga to win even though I know that's pretty unrealistic.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

Re-posting this link from the Movies thread:
    Oscar Predictions 2017: Who Will Win And Who Should Win: https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddie...dictions-2017-who-will-win-and-who-should-win

ETA a 3-part article series of predictions:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-math-predicts-a-la-la-land-best-picture-win-978314
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-math-predicts-la-la-land-will-dance-craft-awards-978940
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-final-math-based-predictions-tech-categories-979353

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017 at 5:58 PM
  19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Particularly at a time when "reality" is so depressing.

skatingfan5 and Nell411 like this.
  20. VIETgrlTerifa

I just saw Manchester by the Sea and out of all the Oscar contenders, I think that and Moonlight are a cut above the rest. There's something really special about both films. I was really blown away by Moonlight while Manchester was just incredibly and impeccably made. To me, this is what the finest that filmmaking has to offer.

I honest see why Affleck won almost every critic's award and why Michelle Williams either came first or second with the critics.

21. screech

Natalie Portman will not be attending the Oscars tomorrow, or today's Independent Spirit Awards because of her pregnancy.

22. VIETgrlTerifa

And plus she probably knows she's going to lose to Emma Stone. J/K. All the best to her and her family.

23. screech

So of the best picture nominees, I've thus far seen La La Land, Lion and Hidden Figures. By far my favourite of the 3 was Hidden Figures. I don't think Octavia Spencer was so spectacularly deserving of an oscar nomination, but she was great, as was Janelle. Taraji was good, but I didn't fully buy her in the role. Kevin Costner was IMO the best actor in the movie and would have been deserving of a nomination, and Jim Parsons actually made me forget about Sheldon Cooper, despite his character could have easily slipped into Sheldon territory. And Glen Powell was great as well (love him as Chad Radwell on Scream Queens, loved him as John Glenn in this).

Lion was good, but the first 1/3 of the movie with the young Saroo was IMO so much better than the 2nd part with Dev (who I adore). I'd seen the picture online, and the version I saw had no subtitles, but even then, it was so easy to follow the story and it was so well done that I started to wonder if I was understanding Hindi. And IMO Nicole wasn't THAT great either (and barely in it).

La La Land seems to be a film most people either love or hate. I was closer to love, but didn't think it was deserving of tying the record for oscar nominations. I don't think there was anything so special about the acting performances either. The cinematography and production design was brilliant, though. And it will likely win best picture (especially if Damien wins director).

In any case, I'm rooting for Hidden Figures for best picture.

jenny12 likes this.
  24. Louis

Louis Well-Known Member

Lion is my sentimental favorite. I saw it just after returning from India, and I thought the cinematography captured the spirit of India wonderfully: the chaos, the colors, the kindness, the poverty, the resilience, the tremendous spirit, the youthful energy and exuberance. I could go on and on. Sunny Pawar was amazing. I know people rail against child actor nominations, but if anyone deserved one, he did. He has an amazing ability to story tell with his eyes and his body language.

I agree with you, though, that the second half was just OK; it lacked the magic of the first half. Granted, there's only so much one can do when the main premise of the story is searching on Google Earth :lol:, but still.... Nevertheless, one of my favorite films in years, and I could watch the first half 100 times and still not be bored.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

26. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Lion is also my favorite of the nominated films that I've seen. I know it's not going to happen, but I would love to see Lion win for best adapted screenplay. I enjoyed the book, but I think they did a lot to adapt it to a screenplay and they did a great job. I liked both the first half and the second half of the movie. The first half is good not only because Sunny is so good, but also because of the way they capture different parts of India and little Saroo's story. The second half is good not only because of Dev Patel but because I think it does a wonderful job of exploring issues of identity and family and the impact childhood experiences have on people well into adulthood. Even though you can pretty much guess how it will end, IMO the journey is interesting.