1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Movie Award Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by VIETgrlTerifa, Dec 5, 2016.

1. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Just watched La La Land. It was a good movie, though IMO not deserving of 14 oscar nominations. I didn't find the performances that spectacular. What amazed me most were the technical aspects - choreography, costuming (I want Emma Stone's wardrobe!!), cinematography, etc.

I love that Tom Everett Scott essentially got his role because the director loves That Thing You Do (where he plays a jazz loving drummer). I read that at the table read it basically just the director, Emma and Ryan gushing about their love of that movie (and with good reason). Plus he's sure aged well!

This movie is probably the most attractive Ryan Gosling has been in a long time (though to me his best role will always be as Sean Hanlon on Breaker High). Huge kudos to him for learning the piano so well for the role (and John Legend for learning how to play guitar, which I never knew he didn't play).

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I missed the announcements, so thanks for the list. I haven't seen everything, but I will try to see most before the awards broadcast. First impressions: I loved Hell or High Water, great entertainment and an edgy, modern day throwback of sorts to films like The Last Picture Show, but with an unpredictable twist. It's not really a heist bank robbers movie -- much much more than that. A great script by Taylor Sheridan, an actor/writer who also wrote the script for Sicario, and created Sons of Anarchy television series. Jeff Bridges I absolutely worship -- he's so brilliant, kind, and funny. He always seemingly effortlessly inhabits the characters he portrays. :respec:

This Actors on Actors interview between Jeff Bridges and Matthew McConaughey is one of my favorites. You really learn something about acting and about life listening to them. :encore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmqtyVE290Y
    Jeff Bridges: "My favorite way to see a movie is to not know anything about it"

So, I'd love to see Fences or Hell or High Water win Best Picture, but it's looking like La La Land is a shoo-in. Too bad Joel Edgerton didn't receive an acting nod for Loving. With all the buzz, probably Ryan Gosling will win Best Actor for La La Land, though I also love Viggo's and Denzel's acting work. Damien Chazelle looks to be the boy wonder who will win Best Director for La La Land. Too bad Denzel wasn't nominated for directing Fences.

For Best Actress, please God not Portman. :blah: I'm hopeful that it will probably come down to either Emma Stone, Ruth Negga, or Isabelle Huppert. I haven't seen Streep's movie, but I doubt she's receiving a lot of buzz for this movie. And the awards show producers may ask everyone to not poke at Trumpster in thank you speeches, so we can all pretend to believe in La La Land for one night at least. :drama: I love you gutsy Meryl! :respec:

Best Supporting Actor has got to be Jeff Bridges! He's deserved every award he's ever been up for and he also deserved awards for many roles he wasn't nominated for too! :cheer2: :encore: Ben Foster was excellent too in Hell or High Water, but apparently there were so many great supporting roles this year, since Foster didn't get a nod.

I don't think it's ever happened before: 3 African-American actresses nominated for Best Supporting Actress! One of them should win. I'm rooting for Viola Davis in Fences, but they're all great, including Michelle Williams and Nicole Kidman, along with Octavia Spencer and Naomie Harris.

It would really be something if Ruth Negga somehow wins for Loving, and Viola Davis wins for Fences. I'd be bawling worse than Halle Berry at the 2002 Oscars. :wuzrobbed :drama: :saint:

I'd love to see Hell or High Water win the Best Original Screenplay award, but it will likely go to La La Land, partly due to the buzz. For Best Adapted Screenplay, I hope to see either Fences or Hidden Figures win. Best Cinematography: Moonlight; Best Editing: Hell or High Water

Best Costume Design and Best Production Design will likely go to La La Land I'm guessing. Just my first impressions. And I'm sure there were a lot of good movies left out of recognition.

Nope, you aren't the only one. I can't stand Portman's attempt to mimic Jackie Kennedy's speech patterns. :huh: Everybody and their brother in Hollywood love Portman. She's a capable actress in the right role. Not here. She needs to be recognized for her directorial debut, A Tale of Love and Darkness, not this misguided claptrap.

Maybe because she's an uneven actress in a miscast role. And that's a fact.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. screech

To me, the acting races are mostly clear.

- Viola Davis will win her first Oscar for Fences (I'm about 95% sure)
    - Mahershala Ali will win supporting actor for Moonlight (I'm about 85% sure)
    - Casey Affleck will win best actor for Manchester by the Sea (I'm about 95% sure, UNLESS the academy don't tolerate his past sexual harassment, which he will not acknowledge, but going against him would mean going against Matt, Ben and all of their friends, which nobody wants to do)
    - Best actress is the only really open one to me. I think it's about 40% Emma Stone, 40% Isabelle Huppert and 20% Natalie Portman right now.

What's kind of nice is that it's likely all of the winners will be first timers.

Damian Chazelle will win best director for La La Land, which will also win cinematography, production design, score, original song (sad Lin Manuel won't get his EGOT yet, but at least Timberlake won't win), possibly costume design (though Jackie might beat it), and maybe a few others.

If La La Land wins best director, chances are it will win best picture, though director winning picture has been happening much less often the last few years (director didn't win best picture in 2012, 2013, 2015).

4. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in one of the earlier movie threads, Ruth Negga was definitely the stand out in the film (really leading the film in the second half from Joel Edgerton).

Sadly, Loving never gained momentum and never got the wider distribution roll-out they were hoping for when they initially released it back in late October. That's the huge risk releasing a film during the mid-fall - the ones that don't really make it often get completely forgotten post Thanksgiving/Pre-Christmas.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I saw Florence Foster Jenkins and I thought Meryl Streep gave one of her best performances in this phase of her career. I know people are tired of her receiving nominations and I agree some of them were just filler or undeserved (for example August: Osage County and Into the Woods (I can't help but think of superior performances from the stage productions). This was a competitive field and I know a lot of people wished Amy Adams or Annette Bening got in instead. That said, I think she gave a much better performance than Natalie Portman in Jackie. I actually was surprised at how much I loved Meryl in this role compared to how I didn't like her much lately. I mean, she just was with it in this role and wasn't trying too hard at all. This was her in her least serious and self-conscious and I find that's when she gives the best and deepest performances.

The person I felt was most deserving of an Oscar nomination was Hugh Grant. He kind of shocked me with how good he was (
    especially in that final scene in her death bed...his handling of that scene really got me
    ), even though I know he can be a great actor given the right material and I would have nominated him for About a Boy. In terms of screen time he really was the lead and he initiates much of the action in the film, but I do think the role itself is essentially a supporting one. I saw Moonlight and as much as I think Ali was one of the strong points in the film and would not be mad at all if he takes away the award, I think I preferred Grant in this film.

Finnice, Wyliefan and Vash01 like this.
  6. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Hugh Grant in FFJ. Even Mr. Finnice was finally conviced that HG can act.

Wyliefan and VIETgrlTerifa like this.
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Still recovering from Worlds...

TNT is broadcasting the SAG Awards tonight starting at 8 pm Eastern.

8. screech

Best part of this entire show so far is Winona's facial expressions.

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  9. VIETgrlTerifa

How are they?

10. screech

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

I agree with Vietgrl about Meryl Streep in FFJ. She was superb. I too wish Hugh Grant had been nominated.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  12. screech

Wow, an upset in the lead actor category!! I'd thought that if it didn't go to Casey it would go to Ryan.

SAG are often a better predictor than most other awards shows when it comes to the Oscars, because many SAG members are also members of the Academy (though producers, animators, musicians, etc also get to vote on the Oscars).

13. VIETgrlTerifa

14. VIETgrlTerifa

Hidden Figures is looking to be a much stronger contender than people realized. I think Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea's chances are looking slimmer come Oscar time unless PGA and DGA goes there way, but actors are the largest contingent of the Academy membership. That said only a minority of SAG members comprise the actor's branch of the Academy, which is a bit more elitist in its membership. Same story with directors and the DGA.

skatingfan5 likes this.
  15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Just tuned in a few minutes ago. I probably wouldn't have chosen the Hidden Figures cast, but I'm happy for their win. Taraji's speech was great.

I thought that Denzel and Casey were the favorites to win.

16. screech

So many random jobs people don't think of get to vote for the oscars. I have a relative who is a member in a non-actor category, and it's kind of neat how they do it.

The nominees for each category are selected by people in the field. For example, musicians determine the nominees in the musical categories, animators determine the nominees in the animation categories, etc. Then once the nominees are in, every single member gets to vote for the winners in every category (for example, animators get to vote for best song winner). Then there's times the Academy tries to persuade voters to choose certain winners, but that's beside the point.

The SAG were pretty odd this year in that respect, in that a lot of the nominees were not nominated for Oscars (Hugh, Emily Blunt, Amy Adams, etc), but not all SAG members are members of the Academy.

The actress Constance Wu (from Fresh Off The Boat) has been very outspoken about Casey Affleck, to the point that apparently people have told her to stop speaking about his sexual harassment or it could end her career. I wonder what her response will be to him being beaten here. I honestly didn't think Denzel was one of the frontrunners (like I said, I thought if not Casey it would go to Ryan), but at least the best actor category is going to be more interesting than expected now.

ETA: The SAG has predicted the best actor oscar winner 100% of the time since I believe 2004 (last SAG winner to not win the Oscar was Johnny Depp for the first Pirates movie in 2003). It's not quite as successful for Best Actress.

Allskate and VIETgrlTerifa like this.
  17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm glad Taraji won SOMETHING, even if it was only a group award. She didn't get nominated for squat. And she was SO good. :(

Citlali and Vash01 like this.
  18. VIETgrlTerifa

I hope Isabelle Huppert still has some chance to win the Oscar. She and Emma Stone haven't had a head-to-head on a televised American award ceremony other than the Broadcast Critics Awards where they both lost to Portman and won't have one till the Oscars.

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

She deserves an award for all that loud, awful singing alone. What a workout for her diaphragm - I got tired just watching her.

Wyliefan likes this.
  20. Wyliefan

So was I, and that is saying something! :D Grant has been driving me bats since Sense and Sensibility! But he was phenomenal in FFJ.

Finnice and VIETgrlTerifa like this.
  21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

Not sure if this is a compliment. It's not easy to sing like that. It's not how she would have sung naturally. I laughed a lot at the singing until I discovered what the character was going through.

22. VIETgrlTerifa

Yeah, I felt really bad. I now nobody told her because she was so enthusiastic and had such great self-esteem AND she was monetarily generous to the point where people just went with it. However, private, invitation-only performances are one thing, but performing in Carnegie Hall open to strangers and the press is another. It really seemed downright cruel. I know they thought they could keep it under control, but they really were exposing her out there.

Vash01 and Wyliefan like this.
  23. screech

What makes Meryl's singing in FFJ even more spectacular is that Meryl is actually a classically trained opera singer. (Because of course, there's not enough things at which she is brilliant).

skatesindreams and VIETgrlTerifa like this.
  24. VIETgrlTerifa

I still can't get over how great Hugh Grant was. His performance is still with me.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia Still recovering from Worlds...

SAG (Screen Actors Guild) award winners (film) are asterisked *** below:

Best actor:
    Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
    Andrew Garfield (Hacksaw Ridge)
    Ryan Gosling (La La Land)
    Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic)
    Denzel Washington (Fences)***

Best actress:
    Amy Adams (Arrival)
    Emily Blunt (Girl on a Train)
    Natalie Portman (Jackie)
    Emma Stone (La La Land)***
    Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Supporting actor:
    Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)***
    Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water)
    Lucas Hedges (Manchester by the Sea)
    Dev Patel (Lion)
    Hugh Grant (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Supporting Actress:
    Viola Davis (Fences)***
    Naomie Harris (Moonlight)
    Nicole Kidman (Lion)
    Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)
    Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea)

Cast/Ensemble:
    Captain Fantastic
    Fences
    Hidden Figures***
    Manchester by the Sea
    Moonlight

Stunt cast:
    Captain America
    Dr. Strange
    Hacksaw Ridge***
    Jason Bourne
    Nocturnal Animals

Harper's Bazaar 10 BEST DRESSED ON THE SAG AWARDS RED CARPET: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/red-carpet-dresses/news/g8444/best-dressed-sag-awards-2017/

26. screech

Of that list of best dressed I basically agree with Nicole Kidman, Michelle Williams (though get rid of the neck tie thing) and Evan Rachel Wood. I didn't mind Sophie Turner, but it looks like basically any other awards show dress to me (same with Amy).

27. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

This result actually doesn't surprise me, as the Screen Actors Guild has tended to reward those films that have multiple co-lead actors (more than 2) and a rather noteworthy supporting cast. Relatively speaking, Hidden Figures had the most beefed up cast of leads+supporting relative to the other films (a la Spotlight, who won last year).

28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

OMG she was a hoot. I was glad she had an individual nomination as well. I especially loved the moment when they announced the winner and those kids exploded with joy. And of course the speech was great. I also loved Julia's speech. I didn't know her father was an immigrant. And then in VEEP mode (ala Donald) mentioning there were millions there in the audience. Excellent.

29. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I saw only Taraji as a lead. I didn't realize that neither Lion nor Florence Foster Jenkins were nominated for best cast.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Seerek likes this.
  30. Wyliefan

How did Claire Foy make the best-dressed list!? :eek: I must understand even less about fashion than I thought. I'm a fan -- I was a fan way back when only PBS viewers knew who she was! -- but I thought that thing she had on was awful.