1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie Award Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by VIETgrlTerifa, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Yes. It's a musical and they always go ga ga for musicals at the Oscars.

Vash01 likes this.
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, Russian ladies

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Academy Award nominations:

BEST PICTURE
    Arrival
    Fences
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Hell or High Water
    Hidden Figures
    La La Land
    Lion
    Manchester by the Sea
    Moonlight

BEST DIRECTOR
    Denis Villeneuve, Arrival
    Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
    Damien Chazelle, La La Land
    Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea
    Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

BEST ACTOR
    Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
    Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
    Ryan Gosling, La La Land
    Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
    Denzel Washington, Fences

BEST ACTRESS
    Isabelle Huppert, Elle
    Ruth Negga, Loving
    Natalie Portman, Jackie
    Emma Stone, La La Land
    Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
    Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
    Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea
    Dev Patel, Lion
    Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Viola Davis, Fences
    Naomie Harris, Moonlight
    Nicole Kidman, Lion
    Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
    Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    Hell or High Water
    La La Land
    The Lobster
    Manchester by the Sea
    20th Century Women

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    Arrival
    Fences
    Hidden Figures
    Lion
    Moonlight

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    Arrival
    La La Land
    Lion
    Moonlight
    Silence

BEST FILM EDITING
    Arrival
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Hell or High Water
    La La Land
    Moonlight

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
    Deepwater Horizon
    Doctor Strange
    The Jungle Book
    Kubo and the Two Strings
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
    Arrival
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Hail, Caesar!
    La La Land
    Passengers

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    Allied
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Florence Foster Jenkins
    Jackie
    La La Land

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
    A Man Called Ove
    Star Trek Beyond
    Suicide Squad

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    Jackie
    La La Land
    Lion
    Moonlight
    Passengers

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
    “Audition (The Fools Who Dream),” La La Land
    “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Trolls
    “City of Stars,” La La Land
    “The Empty Chair,” Jim: The James Foley Story
    “How Far I’ll Go,” Moana

BEST SOUND EDITING
    Arrival
    Deepwater Horizon
    Hacksaw Ridge
    La La Land
    Sully

BEST SOUND MIXING
    Arrival
    Hacksaw Ridge
    La La Land
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
    Kubo and the Two Strings
    Moana
    My Life as a Zucchini
    The Red Turtle
    Zootopia

BEST DOCUMENTARY
    Fire at Sea
    I Am Not Your Negro
    Life, Animated
    O.J.: Made in America
    13th

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    Land of Mine
    A Man Called Ove
    The Salesman
    Tanna
    Toni Erdmann

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
    Extremis
    4.1 Miles
    Joe's Violin
    Watani: My Homeland
    The White Helmets

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT
    Ennemis Entreniers
    La Femme et le TGV
    Silent Nights
    Sing
    Timecode

BEST ANIMATED SHORT
    Blind Vaysha
    Borrowed Time
    Pear Cider and Cigarettes
    Pearl
    Piper

PeterG and manhn like this.
  4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm really happy for La La Land! I just hope it doesn't face a backlash. We seem to be dealing now with a whole wave of people who are mad just because so many of us love it. :shuffle: I mean, I know the hype machine can be super-annoying, but sometimes a film lives up to the hype (Nathan Chen-like ;) ), and I think LLL is one of those.

Also, I had a whole slate of supporting actors picked out and not one of them made it. :lol: Shows you how much I know. (They were all from films earlier in the year, and I haven't seen any of the performances that actually made it, so I suppose I should have waited before guessing!)

oleada likes this.
  5. Vash01

I liked LLL but didn't love it the way others are. It could win every award at the Oscars the way LOTR Return of the King did. It made the whole Oscar program really boring. It will be nice if they give some awards to some other deserving movies too.

The only BP nomination I have not seen is Moonlight. May see it this weekend.

The only surprise to me in the acting nominations was - (Surprise!!!) Meryl Streep. She was good in FFJ but I thought Amy Adams would get it for Arrival. I didn't particularly like Adams in that movie; she has had better performances in the past, so may be that's why. Is this Meryl's 20th Oscar nomination?

I thought Hugh Grant would get a nomination for supporting, but perhaps the field was too crowded.

Happy to see Lion get the nomination for Cinematography. I thought it was superb. It captured the atmosphere of Calcutta in particular and the different parts of India and Hobart really well (though I have never been to any of these cities)

Happy to see 'Hell or high water' get multiple nominations. This movie was a nice surprise. I normally don't like those types of movies but a friend recommended it to me so I saw it on DVD.

Elle didn't get the Foreign film nomination. IIRC didn't it win GG in that category? It's unusual for a foreign language film to win GG and not be nominated for the Oscar.

I am surprised that Arrival didn't get nominated for the Score. I thought it was extraordinary.

Not too happy about Mel Gibson getting the Director nomination for Hacksaw Ridge. He made the movie unwatchable, IMO. Happy that Andrew Garfield got the nomination though.

I have not seen Captain Fantastic, but Viggo is getting a lot of nominations for it. I may have to see the movie.

I may be the only one who didn't like Natalie Portman in 'Jackie' and I didn't like the score for that movie either. Costumes and sets were great.

Early and clear favorites (JMO):

BP: LLL

Best supporting actress: Viola Davis (if she doesn't win this will be the biggest upset)

Best lead actor and actress are a three-way race in each. I think LLL will prevail, the way things are going. Casey Affleck could create a minor upset. The best actress race could be very close between Emma, Isabelle and Natalie. That should be very interesting.

Song: City of stars (I like this song a lot!)
    Score: LLL (naturally!)

Sound and sound mixing should go to Hacksaw Ridge.

I have not seen any of the documentaries and foreign language films.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  6. VIETgrlTerifa

For some reason, Elle didn't make the shortlist before the Foreign Film branch announced their official 5 nominees. Many saw it as a snub especially when Xavier Dolan's critically-panned It's Only the End of the World was on the shortlist.

Isabelle Huppert winning is the only thing I really care deeply about this year so far. I need to see more films.

jenny12 likes this.
  7. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I would have put Annette Bening (20th Century Women) in the nominee list myself, but I would have been fine with any of the above 2 as well.

ETA:
    As I stated in the Movie Thread

Looks like the Academy recognized this and gave Hedges a nomination at 20 years of age.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    PeterG likes this.
  8. Vash01

Can you name your picks? If I haven't seen those movies, I may rent those on Netflix.

PeterG likes this.
  9. Vash01

The trouble was '20th century women' got no publicity at all. I had not even heard of it until just before the GG. I like Annette Bening a lot. I would love to see her win an Oscar some day, but she acts in very few movies and if those are not released at the right time, it diminishes her chances significantly. She should have received the supporting actress nomination (instead of lead actress) for American Beauty and she could have won.

Seerek likes this.
  10. Wyliefan

Let's see if I can remember them all now . . .

I thought both Simon Helberg and Hugh Grant were deserving for Florence Foster Jenkins.

I was one of the few people who didn't care much for Hail, Caesar!, but I thought Alden Ehrenreich gave a starmaking performance.

I was hoping Tom Bennett could snag one for Love & Friendship.

And I haven't yet seen Silence, but I've heard such good things about the cast that I thought maybe one or two of them could pick up supporting nominations.

PeterG likes this.
  11. Vash01

I agree about FFJ's two actors They did get the GG nominations and Hugh got the SAG nom.

I didn't care for Hail Caesar at all. I don't remember the actor you mentioned.

Haven't seen Live & Friendship

I thought Silence was a 2017 movie and not eligible for 2016 Oscars.

12. Wyliefan

He was the guy who couldn't say "Would that it were so simple!" properly. :)

Silence had a 2016 premiere. It got a cinematography nomination.

Vash01 likes this.
  13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Hello, My Name is Doris wuzrobbed of Best Actress and Best Song!!!!

PeterG likes this.
  14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Often the problem---too many fine performances and too few nominations. My disappointment is for Joel Edgerton in "Loving" though I'm glad Ruth Negga received a nod for best actress. As for Jeff Bridges...my fave actor gets a nomination for a movie that was also out earlier in the year but still recognized so I'm happy about that. I wish more films would push their release dates up.

PeterG and Vash01 like this.
  15. VIETgrlTerifa

It's amazing that Ruth Negga got in a highly competitive Best Actress race. That nomination was sort of a miracle.

16. Vash01

Amy Adams was somewhat wuzrobbed. Her movie got 8 nominations - without her. I hated the movie, though I liked the originality.

'Loving' never came here. ...nor did 20th century women or Ms Sloan. What's wrong with these people? Why don't they release movies in the fall so more people can see them? Releasing them too late may take away someone's chance of getting a nomination.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

A lot of movies won't get wide releases unless they get award nominations and then they MIGHT get released at a location near you. I'm lucky that I live in an area that tends to get everything, even if they aren't played for long.

18. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

VIGGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer::biggrinbo:rockstar::cheer2::40beers::encore::rockstar::)

(I loved Captain Fantastic in case you couldn't tell.)

:D

Some movies might not have much of a publicity budget, so they are hoping some Oscar nominations will bring about free interest to their film. And if the interest is big enough, then maybe the company behind the film might think it's now time to put some money into promotion. Silence might be an example of this. Now with only one nomination (cinematography)...don't expect to hear too much a lot of noise for Silence.

aftershocks likes this.
  19. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I was disappointed in the movie as well. He was the actor who was the lasso cowboy guy. Apparently the actor had to actually learn to ride a horse and throw a lasso for the role, which he was fantastic at!

I haven't seen many of the movies this year. While I knew LLL was going to get lots of love, I don't necessarily know if it's worthy of Titanic numbers.

But it won't win everything - it's got 2 songs nominated, so that's (at least) one loss right there. I haven't seen Moana, but I kind of wanted Lin Manuel to win just so he can get the EGOT. And the song category means that Justin Timberlake is now an Oscar nominee for that song that seems like it was released 4 years ago.

LLL won't win best actor either. That one is Casey Affleck's to lose. The only way he'll possibly lose is if Academy members start to look in to and/or care about the sexual aggression claims made about him a few years ago, that have slightly been mentioned more this year (but not enough to make it a big news item). But even then, he's got Ben and Matt pulling for him, and with them, their close friends.

Haven't seen Lion, but really happy for Dev Patel - he was so good in Slumdog Millionaire (still can't believe he didn't really get any recognition anywhere for that movie). Plus, he completely "Longbottomed." Where an actor goes from kind of dorky looking to totally hot (a la Matthew Lewis who played Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter films).

lmarie086, Nell411 and PeterG like this.
  20. Wyliefan

Personally, I didn't think Titanic was worthy of Titanic numbers. :)

21. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I didn't hate the movie, but I didn't really like it all that much either. I thought Amy Adams was the best part about it. :lol:

I still haven't seen Loving and haven't seen several of the Best Picture nominees.

22. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I can't believe Mel Gibson got nominated for Best Director? I thought he had become a bit of a pariah in Hollywood due to anti-Semitic remarks and general bad behavior.

23. Nell411

Nell411 Between the click of the light and

If this wasn't the internet I would high 5 you so fast.
    He had some very influential friends work on getting Hollywood to forgive him. He also kept his head down and stayed out of the public eye for quite a while and Hollywood is frequently quick to forget.

Wyliefan and clairecloutier like this.
  24. VIETgrlTerifa

So, I just watched Jackie. I wrote a lengthy post about my thoughts in the other movie thread, but I just wanted to say I found Natalie Portman's acting to be uneven. There were times where I felt she was quite excellent and award-worthy and other times were I felt she was serviceable at best or actually bad or nothing at all. It's a shame because I was ready to love her in it and was rooting for her to give the performance of her career. I think she gave a much superior performance in Black Swan and Leon: The Professional. Isabelle Huppert would still have my vote. She gave a masterful performance that was incredibly on point and in-tune to the material and her character.

25. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

And here Star Wars performances are quite beloved.

Vash01 likes this.
  26. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Hollywood (and the public) have a short memory.

clairecloutier likes this.
  27. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Roman Polanski and Woody Allen win Oscars... Mel Gibson should be accepted if his work is deserving. I'm of the mindset that things that happen outside of work shouldn't affect work, and comments and actions from a decade ago don't affect his talent.

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I'm of the mindset that it should be on a case-by-case basis. Some crimes are too heinous to be forgiven because someone made a nice movie. And lots are not.

29. allezfred

allezfred Master/Mistress of Sneer Staff Member

Irish actresses nominated two years in a row! :cheer2:

Nell411 and VIETgrlTerifa like this.
  30. Vash01

I think his movie Hacksaw Ridge was over the top in violence (even though one may argue that war is violent and horrifying) and it didn't need to be so grotesque to get the message across. I liked the story. I didn't like the direction and I am disappointed that he got nominated for this movie.