Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Any :sekret: know which arena(s) in Montreal are being proposed as the venue? Because it could be an arena in Montreal, or it could be an arena in the 'burbs with not much else. Like when Skate America is in Chicago but actually is in Hoffman Estates.

mocha-ice

I'm assuming if they say Montreal they are meaning the event will be held at the Bell Centre which is in the heart of downtown.

The only other arena in the Montreal area which would be suitable for the event would be the new arena being built which is just north of the island in Laval.

Last edited:

barbarafan

If it's Montreal (and I can't see it not being) half the ice dance teams will be able to commute from home. :lol:
Quite a few of the pairs as well and maybe a single or 2,,Julienne&Charlies rink is just outside mtl....Yvan Desjardins rink is in Rosemere I believe which is on the island.

barbarafan

I'm assuming if they say Montreal they are meaning the event will be held at the Bell Centre which is in the heart of downtown.

The only other arena in the Montreal area which would be suitable for the event would be the new arena being built which is just north of the island in Laval.

bell centre is in between 2 metro stations...and alternate accomadations...My daughter was married spring 2015 and she found a hotel right downtown which held a floor for her guests with a big discount and there was even a kitchen there..(handy cuz youngest guest was 3 months old)...as well there are apts you can rent for a week.ALSO kind of an underground city with train and metro station. here again is link for bell centre ..you can click on a map there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Centre

skatingguy

decently

Rock2

I'd be super shocked if Montreal got the event. There has to be a reason why no GP event or Nationals has been there since I think early 80s.
Would either be expense of the arena or lack of public interest.
Quebec City more likely in that province.

Skate Canada would want a city that would really get behind the event. Hockey is a religion in Montreal so I'm sure they'd be cautious about staging a big event there to compete with hockey in an unproven skating market.

Among the cities without much history of hosting a massive skating event I would expect a place like Winnipeg.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The ISU confirming that the 5 bids are from: Montreal, Zagreb, Montpellier, Rotterdam, Stockholm.

http://static.isu.org/media/506310/isu_summary-championships-applications-2019-2020.pdf

I'd be super shocked if Montreal got the event. There has to be a reason why no GP event or Nationals has been there since I think early 80s.
Would either be expense of the arena or lack of public interest.
Quebec City more likely in that province.

Skate Canada would want a city that would really get behind the event. Hockey is a religion in Montreal so I'm sure they'd be cautious about staging a big event there to compete with hockey in an unproven skating market.

Among the cities without much history of hosting a massive skating event I would expect a place like Winnipeg.

Montreal is the official bidding city. See link above from the ISU.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Montréal! :cheer2:It has been, errrr, 30 years since my last visit, so this is a sign I need to return. Make it so, ISU;)

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

I was hoping for Ottawa or another part of Canada I haven't visited yet, but at least there are a decent number of flight options to Montreal from my airport. I'm going to Halifax this summer, and it's slim pickings to get a one-stop flight.

screech

Yay, Montreal! Please get it! But I wonder how easy it is to visit Stockholm or Rotterdam....
Has Croatia ever hosted a major event? That would be pretty neat. I wonder what the interest would be like, though, in that area.
Stockholm is a beautiful city and did a great job with Euros a few years ago.

Ha, and I just bought a Lonely Planet guide book for Montreal/Quebec City last night. It's an omen people, I'm telling ya!
My brain is asleep because it skipped past Montreal/Quebec and saw 'omen' as "Oman" and I was thinking wow, that's a bold choice for a Worlds host country!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

I could see them wanting to put a big-ticket item there, to show off the new arena.

jtpc

Should Montreal be successful, I think the venue will be Place Bell. The Montmorency metro station (orange line) is on the other side of the intersection to the arena.

As far as the dates are concerned, the Montreal bid preferring the week earlier is interesting. I wonder if that's hockey related. It looks like the AHL schedule goes until the end of March before playoffs begin. If Worlds were March 23-29, that would potentially displace the Laval team for the final week of the regular season, so maybe that's why the bid is stating they prefer March 16-22. That way, Laval could still have some home games in the final week of their season. Just a guess as to the difference in dates.

lexeoe

If Montreal wins the bid (well depending on the venue submitted), I suspect the official hotel will be the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. Unless there are other hotels that can house them. I believe they went with the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver 2001, what was the official hotel(s) for Calgary 06 and London 13?

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

If Montreal wins the bid (well depending on the venue submitted), I suspect the official hotel will be the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. Unless there are other hotels that can house them. I believe they went with the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver 2001, what was the official hotel(s) for Calgary 06 and London 13?

The Delta Hotel was the official hotel in London.

ChiquitaBanana

There are way more hotels having the same capacity that the QE much closer to the alleged venue...

ChiquitaBanana

Yvan Desjardins rink is in Rosemere I believe which is on the island.
Two bridges north of Montreal. There is Montreal's island south in the St Lawrence, then Ile Jesus (Laval) and Rosemere is on the north shore, in the lower Laurentides region.

Parsley Sage

Should Montreal be successful, I think the venue will be Place Bell. The Montmorency metro station (orange line) is on the other side of the intersection to the arena.

As far as the dates are concerned, the Montreal bid preferring the week earlier is interesting. I wonder if that's hockey related. It looks like the AHL schedule goes until the end of March before playoffs begin. If Worlds were March 23-29, that would potentially displace the Laval team for the final week of the regular season, so maybe that's why the bid is stating they prefer March 16-22. That way, Laval could still have some home games in the final week of their season. Just a guess as to the difference in dates.

I agree with Place Bell as well. It fits the arena size criteria that Skate Canada was looking for. There are three rinks at Place Bell so it would be convenient for practices. Where would they have practices if the Bell Centre was the main rink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information