UPDATED: Guilty verdict in Bill Cosby Case (threads merged)

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Yes, it's been a couple years since he performed. But this "he's a sick old man" act does not absolve him of his past actions. And even if he is ill, I still think he and his lawyers are milking his supposed frailty for all they can get out of it. And do I think it's designed to influence jurors and the public? Hell to the yeah. How can we convict "America's Dad" when he's so sad and frail. BLEAH!!!!

Vagabond

I don't think their case will get stronger with time? New evidence is going to show up .?

Even if the evidence is the same, a retrial affords the prosecution a chance to make a better presentation and make a better argument.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Even if the evidence is the same, a retrial affords the prosecution a chance to make a better presentation and make a better argument.
True. I suspect that since the defense has the same advantage it evens out.

Stats on retrials are hard to track. Best I've found is 40 to 50 % conviction rate. Was he offered a plea deal?

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
OK, so he has some infirmities of age; that still doesn't forgive what he's done, nor should it get him unwarranted sympathy or immunity to prosecution. And it's interesting that despite his illness, he was all set for several standup specials AND a new NBC TV series in late 2014 before the Hannibal Burress brought his past back to light.

judiz

I'd be very surprised if he took a plea deal even if one was offered.

I found this article to be interesting. For one thing, it says Cosby was frail even in 2013 so I don't think that's acting on his part. He was doing his stand-up from a chair (so it's a sit-up?) and had a guide because he's basically blind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...term=.839113116ed9&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

My son attends Temple University and Cosby gave a speech at Freshman Orientation in September 2014. He moved around the stage quite well and walked on and off stage unaided.

Japanfan

Did anyone say or imply it did? :confused:

I'm finding that the new coverage I've seen gives that implication as sub-text.

Here we have a poor old man just hanging on to his faculties, with his poor old beleaguered wife, and haven't they been through enough trauma already?

The coverage seems to linger on Cosby, when it could be emphasizing other elements of the case.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My son attends Temple University and Cosby gave a speech at Freshman Orientation in September 2014. He moved around the stage quite well and walked on and off stage unaided.
Maybe he was particularly bad in 2013 then. But it's 3-4 years later and he's old. I am more likely to believe he's frail than that he's a man in vigorous health who is acting.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Place The Twilight Zone theme music at the top of the music queue as you read on ...

*** Bill Cosby plans to lecture teens about avoiding sexual-assault accusations :

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...voiding-sexual-assault-accusations/103111714/
Would you send your teenager to a public lecture by Bill Cosby about sexual assault and how to avoid being accused?

That, says his publicist Andrew Wyatt, could be on the horizon this summer when Cosby — still facing criminal counts of sexual assault himself — launches a series of town halls for young people, especially athletes, to warn them of the dangers of "hanging out and partying, when they're doing certain things they shouldn't be doing."
The article says it will be an important motivational speech series directed toward young athletes & married men. Maybe he can get Brock Turner & the doctor from USA Gymnastics & they can end it with a panel discussion/Q & A.

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Place The Twilight Zone theme music at the top of the music queue as you read on ...

*** Bill Cosby plans to lecture teens about avoiding sexual-assault accusations :

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...voiding-sexual-assault-accusations/103111714/

The article says it will be an important motivational speech series directed toward young athletes & married men. Maybe he can get Brock Turner & the doctor from USA Gymnastics & they can end it with a panel discussion/Q & A.
Truth stranger than fiction. They could also include Genrikh Sretenski and Bob Young. Unbelievable.

Scrufflet

Gag.

agalisgv

My understanding is that they weren't allowed by this judge to introduce other victims as witnesses and they are hopefully that they'd be able to do that in a second trial. It would make a big difference IMO.
I'm just not understanding the legal basis by which that could occur. He was never charged with those offenses (and indeed cannot be because of statute of limitations), so how could they be introduced?

attyfan

I'm just not understanding the legal basis by which that could occur. He was never charged with those offenses (and indeed cannot be because of statute of limitations), so how could they be introduced?

Many states have laws allowing introduction of similar offenses to show certain facts, such as intent, especially if the other crimes are significantly similar to the crimes charged. For example, California allows the admission of such evidence to show, among other things, that an accused did not reasonably and in good faith believe that the victim consented.

agalisgv

Many states have laws allowing introduction of similar offenses to show certain facts, such as intent, especially if the other crimes are significantly similar to the crimes charged. For example, California allows the admission of such evidence to show, among other things, that an accused did not reasonably and in good faith believe that the victim consented.
Is that the case in PA?

Here's a juror's account of the deliberations. It appears 5 jurors held out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/06/23/us/bill-cosby-juror-speak/index.html

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member

Japanfan

jlai

Question everything
He is 79 right? He won't be the first one to believe in his own version of events as truth.

My mil does this all the time, except her history rewrite/selective memory involves more mundane subject and does not involve anything criminal, thank goodness. I can totally see Cosby believe he is the victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information