Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Their ISU bio is updated now, too: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013665.htm

Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season 2015/2016
Foxtrot: More by Andrea Bocelli
Waltz: Unchained Melody by Il Divo

ETA:

According to Lynn Rutherford's 10/23 tweet, Chock/Bates' "FD costumes big hit. Designed by Chock; made by Carelli Costumes; fabric painted by NY artist Hoshi "

Last edited:

Katha

NBC posted this nice fluff of Chock/Bates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxoFd1Rs79c

Good to hear Igor interviewed as well, and I got a real a kick out of him chasing them around the rink. :D I thought it was an informative piece, not so much the usual generic puff. Very telling the quotes about Rach, and how they are challenging themselves with that music. Shpilband knows that they need something ambitious to make a claim for the World Champion title, so he gave them music that's sophisticated and has been doctoring around with the choreography to create something meaningful and special. I think that's where the trouble with the one step sequence came in: He tried to make it interesting and go with the music, so he deviated from the cookie cutter step sequences he often plonks into his programs and it didn't get the levels. The new one they did at the GPF also fits in nicely with the music, but it's meeting the reqirements now.

Shpilband is out of his comfort zone as well here, I think. He has done his share of special choreo: Punsalan/Swallow's Oblivion, Silverstein/Pekarek's Tori Amos, wasn't it claimed that the original Eleanor Rigby FD D/W debuted was mostly Shpilband's doing?, same for V/M's Flamenco SD and the tango with which D/W won their first Worlds. But he has a certain formula and focuses strongly on TES, sometimes to the detriment of originality. So now he's trying to fit in TES requirements, but also create something meaningful for C/B and it's been a struggle. It looked promising in its debut, then I was very concerend in SA and China, at the GPF it was much better, though still not quite there. Curious how it's developed by Nationals.

Their SD is one of my faves this season, despite the muzak. The effortless way Shpilband weaved in the step sequence is something else, he has really nice qualities as a choreographer that I feel he doesn't get credit for.

ETA: Ugh, the US ice dance thread is reminding me why I'm picking up all these spite fandoms. There's a way to be supportive of your fave skaters without denigrating their rivals and declaring everything they do as terrible and useless.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well I was really thrilled with how Madi & Evan skated in the Free Dance! Their best outing of the year and they really sparkled. I think this was a great finish for them, on the podium again and I'm excited for the coming season now.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! šŸ˜
I have to say I REALLY like Madi and Evan. They are for sure one of my FAVS!!!

SO HAPPY they stayed on Worlds Podium again!!!

Cachoo

I want them to have a moment like the Shibs had. It was hard to follow all of the changes this year. Find a story and music that the team loves and that might capture the audience and stick with it.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
They gonna be very strong in the SD next year, that EX is really good, they can move. She is definitely loving it and he's not bad either. They'll be stronger next year for sure, they must have learnt a lot this year powering through like they did with the FD. I thought they performed it really well at Worlds, so much energy and stamina going into such a performance. I enjoyed his skating much more this year.

Sylvia

Meryl and Charlie interview Chock and Bates:
And here's the original video posted on TeamUSA.org's website: http://teamusa.org/News/2016/April/...As-Chock-And-Bates-Open-Up-To-Davis-And-White

Also on TeamUSA.org's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TeamUSA/videos/vb.18000802685/10153558108212686/?type=2&theater

Off ice photos from Team Challenge Cup in Spokane, WA:
On the red carpet: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEe8E5mNcus/?taken-by=evan_bates
Team North America group (all but G. Gold): https://www.instagram.com/p/BEeJRbptcpn/

Last edited:

Laura4

Chock & Bates ā€@chockbates 3h3 hours ago

We're excited to announce our free dance this year will be to "Under Pressure" by #Queen and #DavidBowie!
1f451.png
26a1.png
1f917.png

Sylvia

Barbara Manatee

I love this! Dean's Sunglasses exhibition really clicked with their personalities and skills. Last season dances were so generic, but this has the potential to be one of those programs you can't imagine anyone else doing.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! šŸ˜
Its weird (for me) to see Madi & Evan almost in 3rd place after the Nebelhorn SD.

Can someone tell me why their technical score was a bit low? They are third in this segment. That is usually a high mark for them.

Some people at goldenskate say they look a bit "generic" overall but so many are saying that Uptown Funk and this music is PERFECT for Madi!I like them. But to see C&L ahead of them and almost G&P almost ahead of them has me wondering...

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

Its weird (for me) to see Madi & Evan almost in 3rd place after the Nebelhorn SD.

Can someone tell me why their technical score was a bit low? They are third in this segment. That is usually a high mark for them.

Some people at goldenskate say they look a bit "generic" overall but so many are saying that Uptown Funk and this music is PERFECT for Madi!I like them. But to see C&L ahead of them and almost G&P almost ahead of them has me wondering...

Difficult program for starters which makes it tough to get the levels clean as well as all the points in the compulsory. The Italians had a great dance and much cleaner elements.

flippedstargirl

I think this kind of answers your question. Perfect for Madi, this is the performance I've liked her best in. It's not however perfect for Evan. He's so bland. He doesn't bring any badness. I kind of would like to see Madi go even "badder" and see her intensity go up... but if Evan can't even being to match that, they'll look even more mismatched.

ETA: We'll see what adjustments they'll make after this. And we still have the FD.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

Still the flailing, still the superfluous movements but wicked strong lifts and nice spins. Their positions and body lines still don't match and they still seem to need a lot of blending.

chapis

I like the SD alot

Same here, I think people donĀ“t like them anyway. Incredible that they are receiving more critics than Anna and Luca who are doing the same boring program over and over again, and Anna has not the best skating skills.

arakwafan2006

Same here, I think people donĀ“t like them anyway. Incredible that they are receiving more critics than Anna and Luca who are doing the same boring program over and over again, and Anna has not the best skating skills.
Anna and Luca have material that's legible. Their material is easy for the judges to get and the crowd. I actually didn't watch their programs all the way through because I've seen it before ( meaning it's the same thing) but I like them. They're reliable and have the best personalities. The one thing they also have that Madison and Evan don't IMO is that they look like they belong together. Madison and Evan go together like peas and oatmeal to me. I would love to see them both with other partners.

chameleonster

Had it still been their first season or two I probably would have agreed that they don't really go together as a team, but they've developed a nice connection over the years. It's not the most intensely romantic one, but they feel like a team to me. People decided they didn't like this team years ago and refuse to acknowledge any growth and progress they've made.

I really like their programs this season, there's a ton of potential and room for growth. Some tweaks are needed, but hopefully Nebelhorn and Nepela provide all the feedback they need and they don't change too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information