Lubov and Dylan - Wowza!

ilimdd

Hello, Luba and Dylan will be on Saturday and Sunday in Kingston in the show. Nobody goes there or maybe live nearby?video?

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Club shows thread in GSD:
I went to the Margaret Garrison show tonight [Saturday, May 9]. Unfortunately they announced that Dylan Moscovitch fractured his finger earlier in the day so he and Lubov were not able to skate. She did do a group number though.
I hope they won't lose much training time.

Posted today: https://www.facebook.com/IlyushechkinaMoscovitch/posts/448914078620779
Hello Fans! We're crowdsourcing ideas. What would you like to see us skate to for the upcoming season. Please note SP (short program) or FP (free program). Thanks!
Also: https://www.facebook.com/IlyushechkinaMoscovitch/posts/448954245283429

Feature article on them that I didn't see posted around the time of Worlds: http://www.skedline.com/sports/new-canadian-pair-is-feeling-good-despite-rocky-start/

Last edited:

shan

Oh no, poor Dylan! I hope he heals quickly.

There are some interesting music ideas on that facebook post. :scream:

Sylvia

TBD
From Beverley Smith's Margaret Garrison show report in her blog:
One skater was missing. Dylan Moscovitch, the Canadian pair silver medalist with his new Russian-born partner Lubov Ilyushechkina, broke a finger in practice last week and at the moment can do no lifts, no throws, nothing. Ilyushechkina performed by herself in a group number, now an honoured member of the COS. This twosome won the Standing Ovation Bursary Award, given to skaters that share Garrison’s “passion for figure skating, selfless attitude and perseverance,” and this bursary couldn’t have rained in a drier spot, with Moscovitch and Ilyushechkina having to turn to crowd funding last season to finance their incredible journey. They are celebrating their first anniversary of being together.
Awwww, cupcake photo shared by Dylan earlier today :): https://instagram.com/p/2lw-Qwldsp/

Erin

Banned Member
Has anyone made music suggestions for them?

Perhaps :shuffle:

I really want to see them do something classical and I have been waiting forever for someone to skate to the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony (so far, the only skaters I know of are Kazakh ice dancers Stekolnikova and Fitzgerald in 1999 and the Beiers in 2010). So I threw that in the ring. It's unlikely to be picked but I figured it couldn't hurt.

geoskate

Great choice! It would require some judicious editting, but it could make a very good long program. The transitions from the minor to the major mode within the movement, and the variation in dynamics, would supply lots of interest without being jarring.

There aren't many pairs skaters who could do this music justice. They could, I think. It would require a bit more speed than they had this season to really bring it off (but I expect that we will see more speed this season, so it could work).

Scrufflet

What is the status of their funding? Do they have some now? Confused as to what kicks in.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Has anyone made music suggestions for them?

A lot of great suggestions are up already on the Facebook page with accompanying videos. Luba and Dylan definitely have a lot of wonderful ideas to choose from and be inspired by. Now it should be fun for them to figure out what best suits and motivates them, and to pick a choreographer. I don't recall who they worked with this past season on their choreography. I'm looking forward to seeing which direction they will go in for the upcoming season. :)

So many interesting suggestions. I particularly like @clairecloutier's ideas: Ryuichi Sakamoto's haunting music for the 1992 film, Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights (how did I miss seeing this film with the young Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche; and this pairing pre-dates their work on The English Patient); and Dire Straits' Romeo & Juliet, with lyrics. :)

Also, the Game of Thrones theme, and the lovely Shostakovich Second Piano Concerto (first and third movements).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
...A minor accident for Moscovitch in a stroking class in the week before the [Margaret Garrison] show unfortunately took the skater temporarily out of commission: after a misstep and fall with a hand behind his back, he “broke off a chip of bone from the middle joint on his middle finger,” he explained, thus limiting his ability to carry out key pair elements like lifts and throws.

“Of course it is not the best thing to happen but we will get through it,” he said. “At this time we are busy choosing new music, doing choreography for new programs and putting some ideas on the table. We are doing all of our off-ice training as well. In conclusion, I would say that we have no worries for the season.”
Article also includes comments from Lubov: http://www.twofortheice.com/rising-stars-take-stage-at-sixth-annual-margaret-garrison-ice-show/

aliceanne

Perhaps :shuffle:

I really want to see them do something classical and I have been waiting forever for someone to skate to the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony (so far, the only skaters I know of are Kazakh ice dancers Stekolnikova and Fitzgerald in 1999 and the Beiers in 2010). So I threw that in the ring. It's unlikely to be picked but I figured it couldn't hurt.

The Duchesnays in 1994
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zXCnxE7W8

AnnieD

Love the new programs - particularly the free. I like that they went classical but an unusual piece of music. Can't wait to see the programs develop over the course of the season!

AYS

🌻
So happy to see them out of the gate with great material and pretty good skates. I just can't take my eyes off of them when they skate. I think it's partly because she oozes charisma but also because their chemistry is undeniable.

chantilly

I agree that their chemistry is fantastic. But they have a lot of work to do. Particularly their speed. Both the footwork and spin were slow. And they still skate with a lot of distance between them. I would also like it if Luba gained a bit of muscle as I think she needs the strength.But good music and choreography over all. I am not in love with the crouched spread eagle position before the death spiral, but then I never have been a fan of it, nor the frog legs position in the lift. But again, I have seen variations of it in other pairs and I loathe it but know it gets points. They certainly seem to know who they are. which is good. And I do really like their maturity. I actually think Dylan is better suited as a partner with Luba, then he was with Kirsten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information