Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Sylvia

TBD
Just saw Javi Fernandez sitting in the front row of the Nadal-Thiem final in Madrid. :)

ETA: Rafa won 7-6 6-4... On to Rome!

Last edited:

oleada

Azarenka has decided to move up he comeback; she will return for Majorca and Wimbledon.

The WTA is in such disarray and so uninspiring these days; I think it's a good move.

Lorac

Azarenka has decided to move up he comeback; she will return for Majorca and Wimbledon.

The WTA is in such disarray and so uninspiring these days; I think it's a good move.

I really worry for the state of the WTA when Serena finally retires. That being said let's see who - if anyone - steps up whilst she is out.

elka_sk8

Speaking of returns, Petra Kvitova will play next week at Roland Garros, will be her first match play since the knife attack back in December.

:cheer2: So happy to have her back on tour!

What a wide open women's field. Until she rolled her ankle in Rome, I would have picked Halep. :( Who's going to step up? Mugaruza isn't coming in with much momentum (although I'm not sure she did last year either). Svitolina? Mladenovic? Kueznetzova?

Lorac

Well Angelique Kerber has just made history - being the first time the number 1 seed has been dumped out of the French Open in the first round :eek: She lost to Ekaterina Makarova 2 and 2. To be honest there were numerous breaks in the 2nd set but Angelique just couldn't hold serve at all whereas Ekaterina did. So still no one really stepping up in the women's game. I have absolutely no idea who is going to make the final or semis or even the quarters on the ladies side - it is just so unpredictable.

topaz

I think it is an exciting time for women's tennis. We're seeing the rise of stars like Kristina Mladenovic who has played some excellent tennis over the last few months. Her match with Gabine M was an instant classic.

Jelena Ostapenko has had a breakout FO and she has the skills to be top 5 player. She's played very good tennis over the last few months. The young Croatian player Petra Martic is back on the scene, I was very impressed with her game and competitiveness. A few year ago, she was one of the ones to watch but injuries dragged her down. She appears to healthy now.

Looks like Halep is starting to regain her consistency again.

Karolina Plisova has had a great year so far if she wins FO, she's be #1 in the world. Svitolina is at this time perhaps the best player in the world has a shot at the FO title too.

The think grass court and hard court season is going to be exciting. I'm hoping Vika can start building towards a great fall. I've missed my Vika and her intensity on the court. It will be interesting to see how she competes mentally since the birth of her son Leo.

twinsissv

Jelena Ostapenko reminds me so much of those cute little 'Cabbage Patch' dolls. :lol:
Wow! Halep and Ostapenko...that's going to be a loud match!:eek:

oleada

Ostapenko has some impressive stats. Tremendous amount of winners and hits a harder forehand than Andy Murray. :lol:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Halep-Ostapenko has been a fascinating match. Much better than Serena just crushing everybody else ones that we've had recently.

topaz

Great match for Jelena O. Her champion instincts were on display. Such mental strength she displayed. I love it when you a see a young player with that kind of fortitude. She had over 50 unforced errors but her forehand was so dominant today. To hit so many winners against Halep is hard.

As a former wimbledon junior champ, Jelena can go far on the grass.

She will be ranked #12 in the world now!!! She started two weeks ago #47 in the world and now #12, incredible.

Simona was just overpowered today. Halep is getting better with her attitude on the court but she still has a way to go. This one is going to hurt for while.

Last edited:

twinsissv

:HA!: Jelena came into the tournament as a 19 year-old in 47th place.
She's going out as a 20 year-old champion in 12th place!
Wow! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun? :cheer2:

antmanb

I watched both of the finals over the weekend and really enjoyed them both - it's been years since I had the time to catch much if any of Roland Garos.

The men were just as annoying with their grunting as the women :shuffle: I don't remember matches being this noisy when I was obsessed with tennis in the 90s :lol:

The camera folk at Roland Garos were nearly as annoying as the camera folks at worlds in Helsinki. There were so many times that they lingered on a close shot of the person serving that you missed the actual serve in the long shot, the first few times it happened I thought it was a fluke and then it kept happening, along with really bizarre framing of the close up serving shot.

The tennis was incredible though, in both matches.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That's awesome! For any player to win 10 titles is a great achievement. Congrats to Nadal.

topaz

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
Ostapenko was born on the exact same day Gustavo Kuerten won his first RG, twenty years ago.

And Federer lost his opener at Stutgart (grass!) to 84 year-old Tommy Haas. :wall:

twinsissv

It is so nice to see Feliciano finally make it to a final again. He admitted that it has been quite a while since that happened. No! It's not always about the superstars! Good to see a smile on that handsome face. Now...good luck to you, Feli! :cheer2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information