Kristi Yamaguchi teaches Bret Hedican some figure skating moves

livetoskate

Cute and entertaining! Funny how Brett has on those heavy duty elbow pads in case he falls on a waltz jump or a 2-foot spin. Kristi looks like she has barely aged since 1992, while poor Brett looks like he's in his late 40s, 50-ish. What does he do these days?

skatfan

Cute and entertaining! Funny how Brett has on those heavy duty elbow pads in case he falls on a waltz jump or a 2-foot spin. Kristi looks like she has barely aged since 1992, while poor Brett looks like he's in his late 40s, 50-ish. What does he do these days?

He works for the San Jose Sharks - I think he's been an announcer for them.

livetoskate

Very nice. I would love to share the ice with Kristi Yamaguchi !
Even though she lived in NC for a few years, I only saw Kristi once at the Reczone rink in Raleigh (now Raleigh Center Ice). At first, I thought while sitting in the bleachers, who is that really talented 12 year old girl out there on the public session? Then I realized it was Kristi Yamaguchi! She was out there spinning, doing footwork, and did an axel in a moderately crowded public session. I didn't want to get on the session and risk getting in her way. The other time I saw Kristi, she was dragging 2 huge wheeled suitcases after nationals leaving the RDU airport with her mom. She seemed very strong. I think we had been on the same flight back. I sort of know a Japanese American attorney who was family friends with her, and my 1st real skating coach in CA had trained with Kristi's coach Jim Hulick at the same time as Rudy and Kristi. But I didn't say anything lest I seem like an annoying stalker fan.

skatfan

Whoa, a blast from the past. Here's an article about Kristi, Jim Hulick, and Rudy. Has it really been 28 years? I feel old.... And it's even more amazing how Rudy Galindo captured the national title after such a long break from skating singles. Wish I'd seen him win in person!

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/11/sports/figure-skating-his-future-clouded-coach-presses-on.html
I was there in San Jose for Rudys skate - truly an amazing moment! Won't ever forget that!

Susan M

The blades are so different. He did really well just to avoid tripping over the toe pick.

nimi

A new interview with Kristi:

http://www.shondaland.com/inspire/a14436692/kristi-yamaguchi-interview/
This month, Yamaguchi is serving as honorary co-chair of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose (January 3-6). It was one of the great thrills of my life to speak with her recently about her career and family life, her foundation’s advocacy, what her Olympic gold medal meant to the Asian American community, and how the sport she loves has continued to change in the years since her victory.

D

Deleted member 53443

Just going from hockey to learning figure skating I can relate to this even though I am far from pro, hilarious. It.Is.So.Hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information