1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Javier Fernandez - Spain's first World Champion!!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by orientalplane, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

Re-posting 2 links from GSD:

Steadfast Fernández ready to take on all challengers
    Spaniard sets goal of winning Grand Prix Final, medaling at next Olympics

Posted 11/3/16 by Nick McCarvel, special to icenetwork
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/11/03/206710074

Also: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...orks-ice-talk-new-podcast.99533/#post-4911685
    Jackie Wong's chat with Javi Fernandez in Toronto (last week, I assume) starts around the 46-minute mark.

ETA link to Fernandez's winning Cup of Russia FS (debut of Elvis medley) - British Eurosport: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50ucym_javier-fernandez-rostelecom-cup-2016-fs_sport

2. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Congrats to Javi for winning the Rostelecom Cup!
    He is making a little habit of landing 3 quads like ease, and I know some people think he is always doing the same type of program, but I think Javi is the ultimate entertainer. He is really good at these kind of Candeloro theme programs and really the only one right now doing this style. Besides, Javi is not a lyrical skater although I am sure he could defend one quite brilliantly
    I wish he wasn't so underrated but anyway, that's the way it is

3. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Javi fan (he's my favourite male skater currently) but I don't think he's really doing anything with that long program. He isn't evoking anything Elvis in that performance for me - not nearly as effective as his LPs the last 2 years.

bluesanymore likes this.
  4. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

5. bluesanymore

bluesanymore New Member

I love Javi a lot, too, and I have to agree with you here. I am happy for him that he was able to win at CoR, but can't say that I liked that long program very much. Although to be honest, his FS last season did not really do much for me either until much later in the season. So hopefully he continues to work on his program and it starts to make more sense as the season progresses.

BTW I'm not sure why they changed his costumes for the SP and for the exhibition program. Not that I hate what he wore at CoR but I thought the old costumes were fine.

6. bardtoob

I have wondered if his top for the exhibition is just whatever is comfortable that happens to also be in his luggage.

7. bardtoob

Javi is doing some overtime with the back to back GP events.

8. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Good Ice Dance = THE SEX

Bump!

LaLiga (Spanish Football Professional League) signed a sponsoring contract with Javier Fernández and Carolina Marín (Badminton player and Olympic Champion) to promote their trade mark in countries where they are known (mostly eyeing Asian market), as part of their agreements for funding other minor (licenses and investments) Spanish sports.

This are quite good news for Javier Fernández as it will mean financial help and also news exposure, what will also be good for figure skating in Spain.

Link to the news (in Spanish) here and to a small presentation video (Fernández speaks at 1:35, basically saying how good this is for sports, federations, him and Carolina and that is a great way to act (by LaLiga) and helping sports is such way couldn´t have done it better. They are grateful and very proud. BTW Marín comments how she and Javier knew each other since they were in the classrooms of the Spanish High-performance institution for athletes in Madrid (Residencia Blume) and since then they keep contact through social media.)

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

paskatefan and sweetsparky like this.
  10. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Good Ice Dance = THE SEX

The Spanish TV channel #0 showed last night a short documentary about Javier Fernández. There are interviews with Orser, Wilson and Hanyu in English with Spanish subtitles, so I will just comment the Spanish parts.

Here the link

- They start in the Cricket club talking about Brian Orser career and how he was a star of the "golden age" of figure skating, and the famous Battle of the Brian and how he got out.

- Fernández explains how living in Toronto is easy and he enjoys it, all (supermarket, subway..) is close and he has a good relationship with the people there. He has been living out of Spain since he was 17 years old, he just had a bad moment when he was 19-20 years old.

He was raised in Madrid "Cuatro Vientos" neighborhood, where a lot of its residents work for the Spanish Army, his sister skated, and they moved for some time to Jaca [a city in Aragón, a North region with good skating resources]. His sister talks about his beginnings, his obvious talent, and his father about how the family supported his decision to move with Morozov but he wasn´t really prepared (to live alone). He admits that he suffered some anxiety in those times and went to the doctor.

- Moving to Brian Orser [lol about the Spanish Federation going all Bwahahahaha :lol: to Brian Orser expecting Javier Fernández to move there in June and his Fernández´s "I don´t know" imitation]. That he could be late or oversleep and miss the training, and Orser got really angry and shouted and kicked some wood and made a hole :mad:. Orser changed his life, he gave him happiness and the wish to do what he is doing. His father says that Orser is like a second father to Fernández and that they were tranquil there was someone for him while living out.

- Yuzuru Hanyu moving too Orser, he is the "prodigy child" of Japanese skating and wanted to train with Fernández. Hanyu doesn´t like cameras on the icerink so it´s not easy to get their image skating too.

Fernández explains that sometimes in training you are horrible and the person you compete against is doing great and you get angry cause you want to be the best.

- Sochi games. The press fiasco. That he would have liked the interviewer to ask him what he meant, and he would have said it wasn´t what people understood. He was advised not to look social media, but did it, and all was "that homophobic, how could be our flagbearer" and he felt like all the world was falling over him.

[to explain it a bit, the words used by Fernández "cortarse" , while no profanity at all, are kind of vulgar language to mean restrain (of doing something), the problem is that usually implies a negative judgement, so it can be understood like it means that you shouldn´t do someting cause is not proper or even it´s blameworthy. A really bad choice for using very colloquial vocabulary IMO]

They talk about the mistake in the LP (Oda moment :COP:) when he repeated a jump.

- Brian Orser own Olympic experience in Calgary, when he was flag bear and big hope of Canada. He needed a perfect program for gold but didn´t get it [ :( I was a big Orser fan there ]

- Fernández explain he learnt of the Sochi experience, he wanted to keep training and working. He returned to training and was 100%.

1st Worlds, Hanyu was the favorite. Fernández fell, but you can be no perfect and win. It was incredible, he came from Spain and in figure skating Spain doesn´t has any weight. Champion of the world, when there have been really a Spaniard (relevant) in the sport, it was unbelievable.

2nd Worlds, he couldn´t train for three days before the competition, what he did with medical help. The winner of the SP had a big advantage, he didn´t know what he could do, but thought that second place wasn´t bad. But then something changed in his head and thought that, now that he could skate, if he could make a perfect program he could win. And he did.

He won his second consecutive World Championship, in front of Hanyu, their rivalry is skating history.

- Hanyu accepted that for ten minutes the cameras could attend their training. Five years or coexistence (living and training together) and also rivality. Fernández admits that the competition can affect their friendship (he wins, I win, he wins, I win...) but that if it comes to them being more distant it wouldn´t be him to be blamed, cause he has no problems.

- After winning his second Worlds he had some bad moments, he felt tired (his friend explains that he did a lot of shows and should look to the long teerm) staying at the maximum level, after Olys he will have to consider what he wants to do.

He wants to be a coach but no before his great challenge: 2018 Olys, his last hope of (winning) an olympic medal.

After Wilson and Orser last words praising him, he comments that is the way he feels, if people see it like that he just have to say that he thanks his family, and must keep on like that.

skateboy, Oreo and Vagabond like this.
  11. douglasottawa

douglasottawa Banned Member

He has a good shot to defend his world title for a 3rd time. Hanyu is skating really bad this year, and if he skates decently he beats Chen (higher TES) and Chen (much higher PCS) even if they skate perfectly. He is also the sexiest man on skates which helps his GOE and PCS. Such a pretty face too.

AxelAnnie likes this.
  12. Weve3

Weve3 Channeling my inner Savchenko

:smokin: Amen! :saint:

AxelAnnie likes this.