1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Javier Fernandez - Spain's first World Champion!!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by orientalplane, Mar 31, 2015.

1. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Banned Member

Just to make it clear, Chan would have had absolutely no chance of defeating Fernandez even with a perfect skate. His 4CC's LP which was his best and technically stongest skate ever (and only weeks ago so benefitting from all the scoring escalation factors of today) was a whopping 13 points lower than Fernandez's worlds LP. In fact I don't believe his base value is even high enough for it to be mathematically possible to have gotten Fernandez's LP score at worlds even in a hypothetical with all 3s in GOE and straight 10s in PCS, let alone by the 4 points he was behind after the short program.

AxelAnnie likes this.
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Okay, now I get it. I missed the exhibition performance. :) Off to take a look...

barbarafan and bardtoob like this.
  3. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

GoForGold, barbarafan and aftershocks like this.
  4. aftershocks

^^ Really nice from Javi. He's seemed to have gained so much confidence from winning Worlds last year, and that confidence has spurred him on to wonderful growth. He's more interesting to watch and a better performer. :)

I still can't get on board though with the wacky high +300 scores due to quad-mania (and apparently the feeling by ISU that ever higher and higher scores somehow replace the excitement of 6.0 perfect scores. NOT! :duh:).

ETA: My scoring comment is not intended to negatively reflect on Javi, as judges had to reward him with points to exceed Hanyu's sp marks, as Javi was the best overall. Even with his fall in the sp, Javi skated spectacularly and was not to be denied. Javi absolutely saved the men's last flight. Bravo!

paskatefan, barbarafan and bardtoob like this.
  5. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Somewhat off topic, but similar to Fernandez in Sochi, my personal hope is for Carolina Marin (#1 ranked in singles) to be Spain's flagbearer in Rio (although her form thus far in 2016 is somewhat off her amazing 2015).

sweetsparky likes this.
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

Steve Milton's article (Stars on Ice): http://www.thespec.com/whatson-stor...rld-champion-skater-in-stars-on-ice-saturday/

7. kwanoverrated

Fernandez fully deserved to clear 300 points with how he skated at worlds. To even suggest otherwise is pure hating.

I also laugh how you complain about Fernandez's and Hanyu's scores but have absolutely nothing to say about Duhamel & Radford's scores which most people find 20 times worse than any scores Fernandez or Hanyu receive. However you are as objective when it comes to skaters who are your favorites vs those who arent as Dick Button is when commentating on Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen.

AxelAnnie and angelflies like this.
  8. Nomad

Nomad Celebrity cheese-monger

Is this directed at an actual post by anybody? Just curious.

9. aftershocks

Have a ball laughing this off-season. To each their own...

10. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Yes, a poster on your ignore list I'm guessing ;)

11. Nomad

Hmmm...must be JudgeJudy or or one of its pseuds...

paskatefan likes this.
  12. kwanoverrated

It was directed to aftershocks who I quoted. If he/she is on your ignore list you wouldnt see the quote though.

13. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Sylvia, dinakt, sweetsparky and 4 others like this.
  14. Nomad

15. kwanoverrated

Javier is such a talented and special individual. And so kind, reflective, thoughtful, and remembering of his origins.

paskatefan and barbarafan like this.
  16. bardtoob

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

It was an honor to be in the audience that night. Of the whole amazing week in Boston, I must say this was my happiest moment (and there were many of them). My personal thanks to Javi for helping me take a selfie with him (he's much more experienced with that then I'll ever be)! :encore:

rosewood, dinakt, aftershocks and 3 others like this.
  18. kwanoverrated

What a cute story that is. Is that you with the great Oleg Vasiliev in that avatar pic btw.

19. aftershocks

Obviously paskatefan's avatar is a picture of her with Ross Miner! :)

paskatefan likes this.
  20. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I missed that, thank you. I love Danny Boy EX- I hope it works for the SP if that's what Javier chooses to do.
    ... and I had to rewatch the LP at Worlds again. It makes me happy.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a pic with Ross Miner (from the Philadelphia International Summer Competition, formerly known as "Liberty"). I like many skaters (Ross is one of my favorites of the current US men). Javi is definitely one of my favorites of the international guys, and @ this point I would say, my favorite of them!

rosewood and aftershocks like this.
  22. Sylvia

23. Nomad

@Sylvia Thanks for posting that. Javier is so down-to-earth and modest in his interviews. He may have swagger on the ice, but Off-ice he comes across as a genuinely nice, unassuming kind of guy.

24. Sylvia

And you don't have to understand Spanish to enjoy watching the 4-minute video! ;)

I started a thread in GSD when the English version of this article was published on May 20: El País feature article: Javier Fernández, the new king of Spanish sport (includes video)

Article in English (no video) is: http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/05/19/inenglish/1463661601_503856.html

paskatefan likes this.
  25. levineismine

levineismine Well-Known Member

26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

^ That was actually pretty gorgeous!!

paskatefan, bardtoob and Spun Silver like this.
  27. screech

screech Well-Known Member

paskatefan likes this.
  28. GoForGold

GoForGold Cowtocks Rule!

Thanks for sharing Javier's EX skate. I love it!
    Look forward to seeing his new programs next season.

tristanwirtz and paskatefan like this.
  29. tristanwirtz

tristanwirtz Banned Member

I am extremely excited and thrilled to see the new programs of the reigning king of skating Javier Fernandez. Hopefully he can duplicate the immense magic he shared with all of us blessed skating fans in Boston.

30. bardtoob