1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Javier Fernandez - Spain's first World Champion!!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by orientalplane, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

From watching on tv it felt like the audience was primed for a great performance and the emotion kept building. That was an awesome skate.

paskatefan and oleada like this.
  2. screech

screech Well-Known Member

This was (according to some articles I saw) officially the biggest come from behind victory in the history of IJS. Not even counting the margin of the win, but coming from 12 points behind after the SP to win.

So kudos to Javi for yet another historical footnote.

3. laceup

laceup Time flies when you're having fun :)

What an awesome performance!! Well deserved congrats

paskatefan likes this.
  4. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

That didn't seem like it could possibly be true and found a counterexample almost immediately (Patrick Chan came from 12.23 points behind to win 4CC this year, and Javier was only 12.04 points behind at Worlds).

Nonetheless, congratulations to Javier on his great performance and 2nd world title. I was glad to have the privilege of seeing his FS live. :)

paskatefan and aftershocks like this.
  5. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I love those Spanish commentators. They were so professional through at least the first two quads. I couldnt believe how calm they sounded. Then they started to come unglued. "Yes ma'am! Yes ma'am!" "Yes sir! Yes Javi!!" "Susana, do you see the tickerbox? 117 points! Do you see?" "I see." "This moment has to be photographed! It has to be photographed!" "He's defending his title! From 12 points behind! He's defending his title! He's defending his title! He's defending his title!" ROFL!! I'm so glad they got that gift of Javi's perfect skate.

And it was way better (for me) the second time. It's so hard to see straight when I'm all tensed up about particular skaters, or even after they've skated. But this was perfect, and performed every second. Three quads looking as if he were dancing on Broadway -- yes, second coming of Gene Kelly indeed! Just a wonderful, wonderful program and skate that had to make the audience deliriously happy. Yuzu had every reason to bow down to this modest teammate who works his butt off, keeps his cool and delivers LIKE A CHAMP when it counts. Bravo!

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

So is this big in Spain or it is HUGE (or as The Donald says YUGE?)

Frau Muller and Xela M like this.
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You left out the "Come on!", the "Let's go!", and the singing out (in English) "Tonight!" :lol::giggle::whistle:

It's probably just as well that Scott and Sandra retired before lyrics were allowed in Singles programs. :shuffle:

8. Spun Silver

You're absolutely right -- that "tonight" was when they started coming apart. I'm still laughing! (Not at the thought of Scott and Sandra singing along.... gag me with a spoon!)

bardtoob and Vagabond like this.
  9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Frau Muller, Cachoo and paskatefan like this.
  10. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I was at all the events with my bf who was along for the ride (not a skating fan so he has no idea what skater is ranked where) and he thought Javi's FS was the best realized artistic vision of the competition.

And I do think it was better in person than on TV. You get a better sense of his movement across the ice. It looked bigger.

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Javi is always high energy and extroverted, but that is the first time I have seen him skate with so much control. No tilted jumps or scratchy landings. Not one mistake and no holding back.

12. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Banned Member

The biggest edge Hanyu and even Chan have always held over Fernandez is GOE. Their jumps and elements are smoother typically and they have an easier time racking up the +3s on almost everything they do. This time Fernandez killed the GOE and had so many +3s across all his elements. If he can keep that up, and progress in this direction he could challenge Hanyu even more strongly, even a top Hanyu.

The flow and smoothness of all his jump landings was well above what he normally ever does.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don't know how big it was for the average Spanish person as I am not from Spain (maybe @sweetsparky can let is know) but Javi got congratulations on Twitter from the Spanish royal family, and other celebrities/athletes like Iker Casillas, Antonio Banderas, Garbiñe Muguruza, Pau Gasol among many others.

14. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Unfortunately, this weekend it was the f***ing "Clásico" between Real Madrid-Barcelona and his amazing feats were a little overlooked. Figure skating is never gonna be huge here, but Javi is starting to get VIP status and lots of accolades from the press

15. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Good Ice Dance = THE SEX

I agree with @robinhood. It was kind of big as the congratulations in Twitter account, that @oleada commented, prove, and also got a lot of media coverage (even Telecinco, Berlusconi group tv channel, known for their trashy programation, gave some time in their news program using images courtesy of Eurosport, what was really shocking), but not so huge.

I won't only blame "clásico" madness, cause the media still gave him good coverage, but also the fact that cause the last night time when he skated there was not chance of casual viewers watched him live or delayed in prime time in some main TV channels.

In fact other years I had friends of colleagues who commented me they have watched the program but this year not so many, they had just seen the news.

I think Javier Fernández has got a lot of recognition but as surprising champion in a kind of exotic sport, quite similar to Carolina Marín situation who's a champion of Badminton, a sport barely practiced in Spain. Both of them are well regarded as pioneers and worthy champions but their sports are still watched as something strange and minoritary. Different case for example that Mireia Belmonte, a swimmer champion, cause swimming is considered a big sport.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Seerek, paskatefan, ioana and 3 others like this.
  16. sweetsparky

BTW I loved Susana Palés singing "tonight" :lol: I also sang in the GPF :shuffle: maybe @Hanna can confirm it ;)

Paloma almost yelling "Susana do react!" was also really fun

Italian broadcasting is also lovely, once he landed the 3loop the commentarist lost it in such awesome and nice way.

17. levineismine

levineismine Well-Known Member

Italian broadcasters were all 'mamma mia', 'vamos Javi' and 'Jesus!' . Really enthusiastic :respec:

18. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

His LP is the program I rewatch most from the Worlds. Just perfection:) Having seen it live and knowing how utterly charismamic Javi is IRL, and how perfectly timed the program is to the music does not hurt.
    A great moment for him!

paskatefan, sweetsparky and robinhood like this.
  19. tristanwirtz

tristanwirtz Banned Member

Fernandez was hands down the highlight of the whole Championships, even with Papadakis & Cizeron and Medvedeva delivering stunning performances to claim gold in their events. He was amazing.

20. screech

During the CBC coverage of the exhibition at worlds, Kurt Browning mentioned that some skaters use this as a chance to test out programs for consideration for next year, and he mentioned that Javi's performance was going to be exactly that for next year's SP.

After he said this, I could easily see where Javier was planning for all the elements to go in his Danny Boy skate. I'm not sure if it's his best ever decision for a program, but we'll see.

21. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

My opinion is that this must be the far more satisfying, personally rewarding and confidence boosting win for Fernandez, for a number of reasons:
    1) The successful defense of his title but on a much deeper playing field - including the comeback of Chan, and the healthier, record holding version of Hanyu, who also had what appeared to be huge, insurmountable lead going into the free. While one can argue Chan and Hanyu defeated themselves due to pressure of expectation, along with over/under training issues, but we can all agree that Fernandez saw opportunity knocking and he just grabbed it with both hands and literally jumped and twirled through the door, in an amazing, totally commanding way, that nobody can argue, or take issue with...JOB DONE!
    2) Plus the guy knocking on the steps of the podium like multiple quad combo, jumper - Jin.
    3) the 3 USA home crowd favs,
    4) a fan fav former Jr world champ -Uno, and the list of young up and comer's goes on...

From a personal perspective the Javier who skated the absolutely brilliant, GOE secure, personality packed, musical free, is now on a whole different respect level, than he was, way, way, up above, even from his well skated SP! His FS was the EUREKA moment of his entire skating career where everything in the universe lined up, all the hard work paid off and when things turned completely around for him, and his future Olympic Gold dreams solidified into a believable reality. If not Chan, ( I still believe he could win OLY Gold, if only he can learn from his mistakes and make all the necessary changes going forward) than my money and my heart will indeed be on Fernandez for Gold!

What an incredible season of Men's figure skating we were witness to, my favorite list of all time best of video's has just grown again to include Javier's FP along with Chan's 4CC FP, and Hanyu's GPF skates.

I actually think Japanese, Canadian, Russian, American, Chinese fans and indeed the rest of the skating world would all agree that if the gold was to be awarded to someone other than their homeboy preference, then the next best outcome would be, the very likeable, hugely improved, Fernandez. For sure my own hat is off, and I too am actively bowing and applauding the "magical-out of body" free skate performance by the 2 time world Gold medalist -- Mr. Javier Fernandez! OLE!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, Javi has grown so much in just a year since winning his first World championship. Even in the sp after faltering on one jump, he got up and skated like a champion as if nothing had happened. That's something when you can reach that level of confidence, grit and comfortable assurance. Javi saw the opening in the fp and he went for it with no holding back and no hesitation. He was prepared to shine, and he rose to the occasion like a champ.

I appreciate Javi's desire to challenge himself to improve in further exploring a style that works best for him, and to not rest solely on his laurels and judges' scoring gifts. I hope Javi will continue to challenge himself stylistically and artistically. That's how the sport of figure skating grows -- it's not just about athletics alone.

paskatefan likes this.
  23. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Kudos to Javi for a great skate! Also, are there any other couples (besides Carol Heiss & hubby) other than pairs or dance teams that can beat four world titles for one couple?

paskatefan likes this.
  24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

It was a privilege to see Javi skate live. His programs were terrific, and I'm "over the moon" for him! :encore:

Finnice likes this.
  25. aftershocks

Where has Javi discussed his new sp for next season? Was it by chance mentioned on the TSL broadcast with David Wilson?

26. Spun Silver

Well, Michelle Kwan and her hubby have five. As did Dick Button and Slavka Kohout. ;)

27. screech

During the CBC coverage of the exhibition, Kurt mentioned it. It wasn't mentioned during Javi's skate though. Earlier on in the program, someone (I forget who) was skating, and Kurt mentioned how many skaters use the Worlds exhibitions as an opportunity to test out potential programs for next year, and said that Javier was doing that with his skate in the gala.

sweetsparky, bardtoob and paskatefan like this.
  28. aftershocks

^^ Thanks, I understand that. I just wondered where specifically it was announced for the first time or mentioned that Javier was planning a sp next season to Danny Boy. Since I would imagine David Wilson is going to choreograph, I thought he might have mentioned it during his TSL interview. Kurt's reference was more like obscure insider knowledge, unless it was already announced somewhere and I missed it. That's why I asked whether there's another source.

paskatefan likes this.
  29. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

I find Javi's Danny Boy Exhibition very moving.

I would go to a show just to see that one exhibition live.

30. sweetsparky

Very moving...and with suspenders ;), so I guess there is a chance it could be a SP for next season.

dinakt, skatesindreams and robinhood like this.