1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Javier Fernandez - Spain's first World Champion!!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by orientalplane, Mar 31, 2015.

1. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Why is there no cheer thread for Javi? He's our World Champion! :biggrinbo :cheer2: :rollin: I was happy with all our champions this year (well, not quite so much the pairs ;)), but Javier's win made me happiest. I loved his programmes, especially the SP, and I wonder what we'll see from him in the two seasons leading up to Olympics 2018. Some people say he's not elegant or lyrical, but I'd like to see him try that kind of performance as well as showing us his (perhaps) more natural funny, sexy, charming, exciting persona. What a great 4T in his FS, and how gutsy he was to go for a second 4S after falling on the first. :encore:Anyway, whatever happens in the future, for now he's our champion, the first from Spain and I love him. :cheer:

2. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Go Javi! :cheer: :kickass::cheer2::rockstar::respec:

Unfortunately I got sick with flu before I could watch the men's FS live on Ice Network but the news popped when I checked on Facebook the next day! I'm so thrilled for him! And what a historic moment! Well-deserved win and how proud his Spanish compatriots must be?

Wonder if this means a knighthood or some other Royal nod from His Majesty, King Felipe? :fan: :D

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

4. orientalplane

Oh sorry, it was so far back that I thought there wasn't one. Can it be merged, if that's a good idea?

falling_dance likes this.
  5. Sylvia

I think using this thread from now on is fine. :)

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Dispirited

He is going to go down in history not only as the first figure skating world champ from Spain, but also for one of the most excellent reactions in the Kiss & Cry. :D (Someone needs to make a GIF of that.)

The men are off to a great start for this quad. Felicitaciones, Javier! :40beers:

7. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Best Kiss & Cry reaction ever! Go Javi! I was thrilled he won.

8. zebraswan

zebraswan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if skating became as popular in Spain as it is in Japan? It will probably take awhile to develop more talent and I know there aren't a lot of rinks there, but between Javi's success and the GPFs being so well-received, I would imagine there will be a demand for more.

9. AnaBM

AnaBM Active Member

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Dispirited

11. orientalplane

:lol: I think he genuinely wasn't expecting it, and didn't know how to react. Plus he'd just beaten his good friend Yuzuru. I hope his victory in Shanghai and his three Euro titles raise the profile of Spanish skating considerably; the GPFs in Barcelona must help too. For a long time it seemed that only Marta Andrade was keeping it going. All :respec: to her though; she learned the triple lutz at the age of 29, even if it was a tiny bit under-rotated. :shuffle: :kickass: :glamor:

12. allezfred

allezfred Master/Mistress of Sneer Staff Member

#GoatNoises FTW! :cheer:

13. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Good Ice Dance = THE SEX

There is a campaign on internet for him being presented the Princess of Asturias Award (former Prince of Asturias Award) that is the most important Spanish Sport award, but considering that David Cal (Canoe-C1), the most succesful olympic Spanish sportman ever (he has won five Olympic medals) has just announced his retirement I don´t think this will be Javi Fernández year, although surely it will come.

ETA: A friend sent me the #GoatNoises audio to my phone :blocjudge :D

ETA2: Marta Andrade rules! :cheer2:

14. Sylvia

Re-posting sweetsparky's post from this past weekend over here :):

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm "over the moon" for Javi! :encore::cheer2:

orientalplane likes this.
  16. orientalplane

I wonder whether #GoatNoises will become part of the FSU vocabulary. :lol:

Maybe it should be GOATnoises. Or perhaps not yet. ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  17. allezfred

allezfred Master/Mistress of Sneer Staff Member

I :wuzrobbed of Marta Andrade sending me #GoatNoises :drama: ;)

I have to say while I found the #GoatNoises :rofl:, at the same time I also had a single tear. :shuffle:

18. Sylvia

From the other Javier thread:
    Link: https://www.facebook.com/Iker.Casil...9956894367877/957953774234848/?type=1&theater

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

20. sweetsparky

Well, it wasn´t Marta who sent it ;) although I´m quite sure she also got it :lol:

It was hilarious AND cute :lol:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HKCQbtdO1S8/SEBQa8LCJnI/AAAAAAAAABI/m4mWAxK5M9g/s1600/cabra.jpg

GOATnoises (Fandom dictionary) : überfan mating call after their fav scores and/or perfomance :p

21. sweetsparky

I liked how Javier Fernández answered a congratulation joke from a humor Spanish TV program in its twitter:
    https://twitter.com/zapeandola6/status/582546677199962113

Zapeando: " Thanks to Javier Fernández we have discovered Skating on Ice, before we just used it to add to our glasses."

Fernández: "Thanks cracks! Next time you speak about me, can we do it with camera and micro on an icerink?"

22. sweetsparky

El País has just published an interview with Javier Fernández after Worlds, will try a (mostly terrible) translation. I remember all of you that google translation is also our friend ;) Sorry for all the typos.

The link
    http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2015/03/31/actualidad/1427811472_655099.html

1st part:

For Javier Fernández (Madrid, 23 years old) becoming World Champion is being stressful. His feat last Saturday in Shanghai, where he beat Yuzuru Hanyu, the Olympic champion and favorite, brought that a minoritary and exotic sport in Spain as is figure skating to break the social media attracting and unknown media attention. “My mobile phone is saturated, but these things just happen once in a lifetime”, he says by phone from Japan, where he is to skate in an exhibition and spend sometime with his girlfriend. Three times European champion, silver in the GPF and 4th in the Sochi Olympic Games, he has been pioneer for Spain in all the competitions.

Question: Could it seem strange that a skater who falls becomes the world champion?
    Answer: Yes, but it´s like the other team scores a goal. You can later score other one. In Worlds LP I fell on an element but the rest of the elements I did perfectly.

Q: It´s difficult for the people to understand figure skating, because all the technical elements that are valued?
    A: Is a dedication matter. It´s like to understand in football what is an offside. (Figure Skating) is a difficult sport, until you don´t have a level of understanding you almost don’t get it. And rotations are done in thousandth of a second.

Q: What is a quad salchow?
    A: I cannot explain a salchow. Because I don´t know how to explain it. You jump with your left leg, from an inside edge and fall on the right leg…But if you just write that, people won´t understand it.

Q: Salchow, he was a skater?
    A: I think so.

Q: Do you think that may one day there could be a quad….?
    A: A “quad Fernández”? I don´t think if (jump) innovation could be possible with the current (ISU) rules. I once thought: there is Axel, but not an Axel (from an) inside (edge). I could do an triple Axel inside…The chance is very small, but not impossible.

Q: To be the world champion means to be the best in the world?
    A: I don´t know…Well, yes, I have won the World Championship. I am the best of the world this year.

Q: Is it special because you are a pioneer?
    A: I don’t feel special for being a pioneer. I am lucky.

Q: Do you consider yourself a patriot?
    A: Yes. I am proud of my country. Sometimes I have been asked: “ If other Federation asks you to skate for their country, with more benefits of facilities, would you do?” No, never. I am Spaniard and the medals I want to get are for me, for my people, and for my country.

Second part in a moment

23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

This is a very good point.

24. sweetsparky

Q: How old were you when you started skating?
    A: I started when I was six years old because my sister also skated. She went to European and World championships.

Q: In your childhood, were you told once that figure skating was a “girls sport” ?
    A: Yes, but I didn´t mind it. They told me the usual stuff, like the Hockey skaters, who thought they were more manly because they did hockey. Children things. But when you grow up, people don´t think like that.

Q:
    Spain is a machista country?
    A: We are a football country. Sometimes people judges without knowing the person.

Q: Could you have reached where you are training in Spain?
    A: In the current conditions, even if we are improving, no. I moved from Spain with a good (skating) level, but there is a point when you will need so many things we don´t have here: more ice time, more good ice conditions, an atmosphere of great level skaters…

Q: How were you when you started training?
    A: Sometimes it was hard for me to train. I liked a lot figure skating, but when it was time for the maximum effort I stayed behind.

Q: Are you spontaneous?
    A: Yes. I am a normal person, whatever I do. It´s not always a positive trail, because sometimes you say one thing but people understands you have said other thing. But I think is my best character, I like to be natural and treat everybody the same, even if some things should have thought twice before.

Q: Like all the mess that happened when Sochi (They published a statement from Javier recommending gays to “tone it down a bit” through the Games).
    A: I don´t know if I expressed myself wrong or if they understood it wrong. It shouldn´t have happened. I never wanted to hurt anyone, I was just in the Games for the sport. I shouldn´t have answered that kind of questions, but I am this way. I know what I feel. I am zero homophobic.

Q: You received lot of criticism and you apologized.
    A: I had to apologize because I didn´t know if it had been my fault, If I had expressed it wrong. When things like these happen, if you try to explain it they won´t believe you, so is the best to apologize and swallow what happened. It was a rough time, a bad time for me, it destroyed me. In these situations I am a very sensitive person, and that everybody stood against me, and said things like those, it affected me a lot. Even more because it was something completely against mine (beliefs). My coach, Brian Orser, publicly defended me saying “How he is going to be homophobic if I am gay?”

Third part following

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  25. sweetsparky

Third and last part:

Q: How do you get along with Hanyu, the World Silver Medalist?
    A: I get along fine with him. We share a lot of ice time. Sometimes our conversations are shorts because his English is not very good.

Q: What did happen to Hanyu at Worlds? Did he do (skate) below his (usual) level?
    A: I think so, but it wasn´t a disaster. He did a decent program. This season wasn´t the best for him because he suffered some troubles. He had a crash with other skater and he stayed off the ice for a time. Then he got surgery and suffered another injury.

Q: The blades of the skates, must be sharpened?
    A: Yes, but it depends on the skaters and the quality of the ice. I usually sharpen them every three weeks. It’s harder to slow down when it´s just sharp.

Q: Brian, your coach, is other winner of Shanghai Worlds?
    A: Brian was an awesome skater, he was World Champion and he is a World Champion as coach. I had never seen three pupils of the same coach in the Top5 of a World Championship.

I hope you enjoyed it :)

26. legjumper

legjumper Well-Known Member

Muchísimas gracias, sweetsparky. Your translation was good! :) (Google Translate interpreted "el programa libre del mundial" as "the free software world," sooooo...... ;))

27. orientalplane

Thank you so much, sweetsparky! Excellent work. :encore::respec: :cheer:

It is indeed, and provides an answer to any skating fans who are asked that question (i.e. most of us). :)

paskatefan, AnaBM and falling_dance like this.
  28. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

I'm thrilled for him!!

29. Sylvia

30. orientalplane

Thanks very much, Sylvia. :) A recap of the GPF FS and Worlds FS, plus the medal ceremony, which I had not seen before.:encore: A wonderful "moment with Javier" and great sportsmanship shown by Yuzuru and Denis. :40beers: I assume that Javi's parents were there to see him win; does anyone know for sure?