1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Is There a 'Limited' Time Frame to Set Up a New Laptop?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

My friend recently bought her son a laptop, on sale, on a tax free holiday, which she told me she'll just "stow away" and present him at Christmas.

I set up this laptop a couple of years ago about a week after purchasing and remember being glad I didn't wait longer. I don't recall if time-sensitive rebates were involved or something more serious.

Shouldn't she at least protect the battery in some way?

It runs Windows 7.

2. redonthehead

redonthehead Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be a problem because any trial offers on it shouldn't start until she sets it up. They sit on shelves in the store for a while sometimes according to how many they have in stock and it doesn't affect them.

There might be a few other issues though. If there is a rebate, she should go ahead and send that in because it'll probably expire. The only other thing would probably be the stores return policy. She might have a problem returning it and the warranty will be shorter because it starts the day of purchase not the day the box is opened.