1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

If you were a skater, what music would you choose?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Rock2, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this topic has been done recently, other than 'what music would you recommend for certain skaters'. Regrets if this has been done to death but I haven't seen it.

This time YOU are the athlete in singles. And you're choosing music for the Olympic year that suits your personal style and is designed to make impact on judges and audience. What music would you choose?

PS no epic lists here; you have to make a clear choice with one back up choice allowed at most.

Mine would be:

SP: Poeta by Vincente Amigo (used by Lambiel, Rogozine)
    Backup: Happy Valley by Vanessa Mae (used by Berezh/Sikh)

LP: Guitar Concerto by Kamen/Hotei (Kozuka's long in 09-10; someone needs to do this again. It's a very long piece but I like his cut)
    Backup: Tristan & Isolde (I'd use exact cut from Jamie and Dave in 2001)

Ex: First Light by Dustin Tebbutt (skating almost never pulls from Indie and someone needs to get on this)

And, yours?

2. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

SP: Just For You by Giovanni or maybe something opposite like Totentanz by Liszt

Free: Dante's Prayer by Loreena McKennit

paskatefan, Simone411 and Rock2 like this.
  3. Simone411

Simone411 FSU Uber fan

4. AnaBM

AnaBM Active Member

This is such a cool thread, I can't believe no one did it before but thanks Rock2 :rollin:I'll pretend I'm not over excited.

SP: Beethoven's 7th Symphony Allegretto by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (dir. Christian Thielemann)
    Backup: Literally anything from The Mummy Returns Soundtrack. Maybe End Credits?

LP: Danzón No.2 of Arturo Márquez by the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra (dir. by Gustavo Dudamel)
    Backup: Taranta by Ludovico Einaudi

Ex: Medina by Fuel Fandango with Estrella Morente (or Isaac by Madonna)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    snoopy, shan, clairecloutier and 5 others like this.
  5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Too easy. For me it would be the soundtrack from La La Land. I fell in love from the first minute I heard it.

Having said this, it would be perfect for Virtue and Moir heading into the Olympic Season later this year!

Or, if I took a classical route, it would be Ondine by Debussy. Such a complex piano piece that takes you everywhere.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Spun Silver and Simone411 like this.
  7. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

The soundtrack to the film 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.'

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen anyone skate to it yet.

Spun Silver, Simone411 and AnaBM like this.
  8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I remember a skater skating to this at French Nationals some time ago, I really liked this music and this program :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLrupg69cbg

9. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

This was a fun question to think about.

I feel like I would want to skate to something lyrical in the SP. Music that's emotional, yet also calming/soothing. Because competing in an Olympic short program has to be one of the most stressful things you can possibly do ... So I'd want my music to be something that would calm me down, rather than amp up my nerves. In 1992, Kristi Yamaguchi skated to Blue Danube, and something like that would be perfect, I think. I don't know what specific music I would choose, but something like Blue Danube, Clair de Lune, Lady Caliph might be good. Recently I skated briefly on a public session to the "Hallelujah" that Hubbell/Donohue used last year--that was nice, something like that would be great.

For the long program, I would want something exciting and somewhat upbeat, to show contrast with the SP, and to help myself get "up" for the demanding long program. But it would have to be music that is exciting or uplifting--not dark. For example, I would never choose something like "Bells of Moscow", "In the Hall of the Mountain King," "Night on Bald Mountain," or "Requiem of a Dream," because all those pieces have a dark and ominous tone, and having to hear ominous music as I was skating in the Olympics(!!) just would not help. Nothing melancholy or dark. Again, Kristi Yamaguchi (my favorite) skated to "Malaguena" in 1992 and I thought that was a great choice ... Yeah it's kind of a warhorse, but it's just such fun music. But I'd be open to anything that was exciting or uplifiting. I still remember fondly the dynamic cheerful music that Yuka Sato used for her 1992-94 LP--something like that might be great. I would not skate to something more cerebral, like the Gershwin that Yuna used in 2010. In that situation, skating in the Olympics, I wouldn't want to think about my music, I'd want to just react to it and be motivated by it and enjoy skating to it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Yes this factors into the strategy. That's why I went with Poeta -- starts slow and then builds. Something Spanish to me makes sense because there is facially a fine line between looking nervous and looking intense so one could look like the other. Both require tension. Point is, I can harness my nervousness to invest in the music.

I think if you skate to slow and lyrical yes it can calm nerves but if there is tension in your face and body it falls flat. Tough strategy call!

clairecloutier, AnaBM and Simone411 like this.
  11. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

You literally stole BOTH the things I was about to post in this thread! Wow, haha!

I keep watching their old videos set to music from the La La Land Soundtrack, I want to cut some music and piece together a free program for them from the many clips of programs past. They should do it!

:swoon::swoon:

essence_of_soy likes this.
  12. alchemy void

alchemy void blowing kisses with bitchface

SP: It's All Coming Back To Me Now (Celine Dion), I Drove All Night SDC Remix (Celine Dion)

LP: The Best of Leonova (Chaplin, Pirates of the Caribbean, Witches of Eastwick, Chicago, Kalinka, Jailhouse Rock)

I have the classiest music editor in the business...:encore: :encore:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    chapis, bladesofgorey, shah and 6 others like this.
  13. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

Hey you! GREAT CHOICES!! Did you hear Celine's French-pop album this past year??? I would like to do "Encore un soir"! ITS GORG!!!!!!

alchemy void likes this.
  14. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

Lord of the Rings all day every day.

In all seriousness, LoTR for a FS or a FD if possible. When I was picking Solo FD I was considering Cell Block Tango, Once Upon a December, music from Forever Tango, Copacabana, and music from West Side Story's ballroom dance sequence because they failed someone's FD at a nearby rink for not having a strong enough beat in the background of their music. I eventually settled for a random movie soundtrack Waltz I found on YouTube. Repetitive, but effective and liked by the judge and other coaches.

If I did FS, I'd love to skate to Chicago (my favorite musical) even if it's overdone. Music from the Doctor Who soundtrack would be my nerdy choice, while Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story would be my hipster choice.

For the SP, I'd do Big Spender, or I'd pull a Haydenettes and do Run This Town. Some big "I'm awesome" piece.

15. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

16. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I loved it when Claudia Leistner had 900 different music edits in her free skate at the 1988 Olympic Games.

17. AnaBM

AnaBM Active Member

How did I miss this :eek:?! But honestly, I don't really follow juniors, let alone french juniors from a couple of years ago. Thanks a lot for the link, the part where he dances is just :rofl:, still I think it'd look prettier with a girl (and with a better cut!).

18. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

probably they haven't seen the movie and they don't know it. I haven't seen it myself actually, and I do love movies.

My choice, for single skater but would love to see a pair skating to this, would be the opening soundtrack from the movie "The Childhood Of A Leader", by Scott Walker. Any music by him is fine with me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQHZcORowlc&t=142s

Second choice would be a mix from the tv series "The Young Pope". OMG, it is beautiful, and it would be perfect for a SP.

Max Cameron - Beat the the clock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ye6CERvCk

Trentemøller - Moan:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vkj-t1ytzo&index=11&list=PL_OcomTs6Hr8kFwO67L5FHySZt6q9PEAX

Devlin - Watchtower (Instrumental version) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtYyZ2HNUk

The Sound - I Can't Escape Myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0FKEDexivA&list=PL_OcomTs6Hr8kFwO67L5FHySZt6q9PEAX&index=10

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    gk_891 likes this.
  19. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

I like your choices. I would probably choose something similar for myself as I'd probably avoid famous pieces of classical music. The way I look at it is skating 'up' to famous or well-known classical music would probably be a daunting task, not to mention there would inevitably be comparisons with skaters who also skated to the same pieces of music.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Amantide likes this.
  20. bladesofgorey

bladesofgorey Active Member

If I were an Olympic-caliber skater then I'd have much better transition/footwork/skating skills than I did back when I was competing so keep in mind in my fantasy world I'd be able to bring it to these pieces and really sell them.

My picks:
    short program: JLin- "Black Ballet" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANtnA_l2V94

long program (needs some bleeping out/replacement of the naughty word): From the 1996 Romeo & Juliet Soundtrack Radiohead -"Talk Show Host" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBUh5wnAGHk

alchemy void likes this.