IceNetwork coverage

aftershocks

Banned Member
Is anyone else having problems with less than sharp video and freezing during this year's coverage? :mad: :blah: :fragile:

Sylvia

TBD
No, and I haven't and I haven't seen many complaints so far online.

Here are 2 useful posts from the Icenetwork help thread in the 2017 US Nationals forum:
My only suggestion. Check to see what else is running. Last year I had lots of problems until I realized that my CPU utilization was at about 90%. I killed some garbage that was using a lot of capacity which seemed to solve most problems
... Your antivirus software may want to examine the data to make sure it's ok. Then your computer needs enough free RAM and free disk space to convert the data to video and enough CPU capacity to do the work. If you're low on any computer resources, that's when you might hear the computer fan running a lot and your computer might get warmer. Finally, Flash needs to be communicating with your video setup correctly and your output (video card or HDMI) needs to be working well.

Long story short, it's probably not IN unless everyone is complaining.

Jun Y

I have had freezing feed in evening streaming. I called the IN help desk but the technician was totally unhelpful. He had me clear the cache but it didn't work. Later I got an email telling me to unplug and replug the Internet router. Did not work either. As if I didn't have fast enough connection.

Today it was fine during the day but began freezing again in the evening. I called again and this time was lucky enough to get a person who knows what he's doing. He had me adjust the flash player setting and it worked. I suggest you call and insist on getting someone who can help.

It's ridiculous that the IN web site is still so full of bugs. I had used all kinds of streaming services big and small before without any problems whatsoever. I am sorry but it IS IN's problem, not my internet connection or the memory on my machine.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

I have had freezing feed in evening streaming. I called the IN help desk but the technician was totally unhelpful. He had me clear the cache but it didn't work. Later I got an email telling me to unplug and replug the Internet router. Did not work either. As if I didn't have fast enough connection.

Today it was fine during the day but began freezing again in the evening. I called again and this time was lucky enough to get a person who knows what he's doing. He had me adjust the flash player setting and it worked. I suggest you call and insist on getting someone who can help.

It's ridiculous that the IN web site is still so full of bugs. I had used all kinds of streaming services big and small before without any problems whatsoever. I am sorry but it IS IN's problem, not my internet connection or the memory on my machine.
I've missed the last 5 skaters because my feed is frozen. Can you tell me what you did to adjust the flash player setting?

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

I called the help desk and was told to unplug my router and plug it back it. I said I didn't think that was the problem and was told to try watching a video on Chrome instead of Firefox. It takes forever for Chrome to come up but, once it did, the video worked without freezing. I do think there is a problem with my flash player setting on Firefox because I am always getting messages warning of an unresponsive plugin and shockwave flash may be busy or it may have stopped responding. So far, nothing I've tried to fix this has worked.

Jun Y

I called the help desk and was told to unplug my router and plug it back it. I said I didn't think that was the problem and was told to try watching a video on Chrome instead of Firefox. It takes forever for Chrome to come up but, once it did, the video worked without freezing. I do think there is a problem with my flash player setting on Firefox because I am always getting messages warning of an unresponsive plugin and shockwave flash may be busy or it may have stopped responding. So far, nothing I've tried to fix this has worked.

Sorry I didn't see your post last night. I was told to go to Adobe Flash Player setting (right click on the feed) and uncheck the box for "Enable Hardware Acceleration." It seems to work until right now, when the feed is freezing again. I'm not sure I have enough motivation to call the help desk again today, as the later groups will be shown on TV.

The problem, I think, is IN's setup of Flash, and this is because they are hopelessly outdated. Most streaming services have abandoned Adobe Flash since a few years ago because it's glitchy and vulnerable to virus. This is also why IN cannot stream on tablets and phones because Flash is no longer supported. The sooner IN completely rebuilds its streaming --- or better yet their entire video archive and search function --- the better chance they have to keep the last few subscribers.

And USFSA is wondering why figure skating is losing American audience. And people blame IJS for the decline in its popularity in US.

Moto Guzzi

Thanks, Jun Y. I'll try this the next time I'm on Firefox. I'm watching on Chrome now and, so far, everything looks good with no freezing.

DreamSkates

For me, the feed jerked a few times. One time it froze due to my wireless connection. But much better than last year and I didn't miss anything.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
They seem to have the right bandwidth. I didn't hear of anyone not able to log on for Nationals. I did notice that they seem to have changed what they're testing. For example, I have IE11 under Win10 on a touchscreen laptop. For some reason, IN thinks my laptop is a tablet, so I can't use IE. For reasons noted above, Firefox is a no go unless you tweak the Flash settings. So far, the only thing that's worked reliably is Chrome on the laptop and Puffin on the iPad.

Jessica

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Adobe announced that they're dropping support for Flash. That means that IN will be forced to migrate to standard streaming. I hope they've already started the work.

I just went into IN and can't get any video to work. Do you think this is why?

dinakt

No, the videos are still working. Adobe won't be killing it until 2020 so IN can still torture us for 2-3 more years.
Oh that's sad. I got my hopes up for half a day that I can come back to Icenetwork... but not while they have outdated streaming.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Does anyone know why the current videos are not playing on IN? Is anyone else having this problem?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks, yes, another poster mentioned in another thread trying a browser other than Google Chrome. A different browser did work for me. Neither Chrome nor Microsoft Edge will work however. Apparently, Firefox, IE, and some other browsers do work.

It even looks as if IN updated their set-up. Does it appear that way to you guys who understand more about tech matters? In Google Chrome, I was getting an 'outdated link' error message.

maureenfarone

I sent an email to IN because I'm now using Chrome and none of the videos will play. This is the response I received: 1. Launch Chrome and navigate to 'chrome://flags'
2. Search for 'Prefer HTML over Flash'
3. Select 'Disable'
4. Search for 'Run all Flash Content when Flash setting is set to "allow" '
5. Select 'Enabled'
4. Relaunch Chrome
5. Does Flash content display?

I haven't tried this, but wonder if what @mollymgr posted might be easier or work better. Any thoughts?

Visaliakid

I followed instructions provided by @mollymgr and that did the trick. Videos now work on my Chrome browser. Thanks for the quick info.

I sent an email to IN because I'm now using Chrome and none of the videos will play. This is the response I received: 1. Launch Chrome and navigate to 'chrome://flags'
2. Search for 'Prefer HTML over Flash'
3. Select 'Disable'
4. Search for 'Run all Flash Content when Flash setting is set to "allow" '
5. Select 'Enabled'
4. Relaunch Chrome
5. Does Flash content display?

I haven't tried this, but wonder if what @mollymgr posted might be easier or work better. Any thoughts?

Sylvia

TBD
2017 Glacier Falls Summer Classic club competition videos of the Senior & Junior events (via the club's professional videographer) are available to view for free on IN:

Link to the videos by event: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/search/?topic_id=246375600

There are also individual GF videos of:
Karen Chen's 1st place FS: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1683163183
Ross Miner's 1st place FS: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1683311383
Jason Brown's 3rd place FS: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1683270483

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Okay, I have Windows 10 Creator Update and I use Internet Explorer 11. I don't use Edge at all. Right now, I'm watching the video of Jason Brown's Free Skate at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic with no problems whatsoever.

With Windows 10, you can't just go to Adobe.com and get the latest Flash. There will be an automatic update for Adobe Flash Player through Windows Update each month. The last flash update I received was on July 12th (KB4025342), and it's working just fine in IE 11.

If anyone is having trouble with the flash player on IceNetwork while using IE11, check Windows Update History and make sure you have the latest flash update. Everyone should have the latest flash update through Windows Update.

Just editing. I totally forgot about it being Patch Tuesday. I just received several updates including a cumulative update and one for the latest Adobe Flash Player, (KB4034662).

Last edited:

sammary

First time this has happened....hooked laptop up to tv to watch ice network. Can see the competition, but no sound(surround sound)Emailed ice network and they were not very helpful. Husband is pretty tech savvy, but cannot figure it out. Any idea how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated!

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
First time this has happened....hooked laptop up to tv to watch ice network. Can see the competition, but no sound(surround sound)Emailed ice network and they were not very helpful. Husband is pretty tech savvy, but cannot figure it out. Any idea how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated!
I have two HDMI ports on my vizio TV - HDMI and HDMI 2. I use the HDMI 2 port to hook up my laptop which has an HDMI port on the side of it. It works pretty well that way.

If you use a VGA cable, you'll have to also use a an audio in/out jack that you plug into the headphone socket/port of your laptop to the audio-in port of your TV.

I found instructions with other ways to hook up your laptop to your TV at a website called Tech Advisor that might help.

How to connect a laptop to TV with or without wires

Hope this helps. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information