1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Glamour Pusses Unite! "I think I have an addiction problem"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by topaz, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Well-Known Member

Thanks I got both the NYX suede and Maybelline Matte. I like the coverage with Maybelline - it's a little sheer and not as dry. NYX feels dry and kind of thick. But both make me happy. I'm going to put away my sheer reds for awhile. Thanks! Oh - I got Toasted Truffle and Soft Spoken. I really wanted Los Angeles or Berlin in NYX but neither were sold at my store.

2. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

One of the best lip pencils that I have used is from the Wet n Wild line, for a fraction of the price, which is always welcome.

To keep lips from drying out when using a matte lipstick or lip pencil, I apply Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm (Vitamin E & Peppermint) first, This is the only lip balm that works for me, and trust me, I have tried every lip balm known to man! Love Burt's Bees, especially the vitamin e & peppermint formula. It can be a bit pricey compared to regular chapstick, etc., but worth it, IMO.

I try to avoid the temptation of spending money based solely on a name, fancy packaging, container, tube or ‘promise.’ Some cosmetics, as mentioned, are worth it, others are definitely not!

A splurge would be a quality skin care regimen/line, i.e., serum, etc. This, IMO, is worth spending a little bit more, but I have found through trial, error, and research ways to get quality and desirable results without having to take out a mortgage.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    TheGirlCanSkate likes this.
  3. Weve3

Weve3 Well-Known Member

Me too!

4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips!

5. my little pony

my little pony war crawling into canada

i dont like matte lipstick that much but sugar pill is not so dry looking

6. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

darn it, now I'm eyeing the Tria! I blame Ice Alisa, lol. I don't know if it's suitable for my skin tone though. Time to hit up Sephora again?

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

8. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

IceAlisa likes this.
  9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

She looks stunning! I love it.

I gotta rave about a product. I read about Salux washclothes on Buzzfeed, and literally every review was a rave. They're cheap on Amazon, so I got some. They're AMAZING!!! They're rough and feel kind of harsh, but they're so exfoliating. My skin feels so smooth and it's only been a week. I get all these tiny ingrown hairs in my legs (like, just under a thin layer of skin or something) and nothing has every worked for them - not loofahs, or exfoliating gels or whatever. After a week using this thing, they're almost gone. They dry really quickly and can be thrown in the washer, so it's a lot more hygienic than a loofah. I love these things. I want to give them to everyone I know :p

vesperholly, Tavi, millyskate and 7 others like this.
  10. floridaice

floridaice Well-Known Member

The mall close to my work only has the inside JCPenney Sephora -- until Friday that is! We already have a "field trip" planned from the office. No more traveling across town.

skategal likes this.
  11. Andora

Andora Skating season ends as baseball season begins

Milani also makes fab matte lipsticks. I just wore Violet Volt, which I don't believe is technically a matte, more of a suede, but it wore beautifully all day (through French Onion Soup, no less) and comfortably.

12. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I just ordered some of these. My legs are lizard-like from the cold winter weather. I could really use some exfoliating and nothing else seems to be working. I also hate how unhygienic loofahs are so it seems like a win-win!

kimkom and oleada like this.
  13. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Milani is one of the most underrated makeup brands on the market. I love their lipsticks. But they also have beautiful blushes. And they have a wonderful color range of products, so there is something for everyone.

I have Violet Volt too....it's one of my favorites.

Andora and my little pony like this.
  14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I've heard Milani foundation is really good - anyone use it? I've been using Bourjois healthy skin serum, which I like a lot but isn't sold in stores in the US (is it sold in Canada? I live in a border city and make occasional trips).

15. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I hope you like it!

16. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the line is at shoppers drug mart. I don't know about the product though

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Nevermind

18. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I've seen the Bourjois foundation at Shoppers Drug Mart in the past but I'm not sure if they carry it now or not.

Next time I'm there, I can check for you.

vesperholly likes this.
  19. Anemone

Anemone Well-Known Member

Realized the other day when I was cleaning out my makeup shelf that all my lipsticks were old enough that they should be in the bin. I tend to use lipgloss more for every day work wear, so my lipsticks don't always get as much use as they could. Tossed all the old lipsticks, and went on a shopping spree at Sephora last night (I am now suffering from a case of extreme sticker shock......). Thought I'd start with a nice neutral pink, a berry, and a red/burgundy
    Since so many of you have talked about liking the UD Vice lipsticks, thought I'd give those a try. It was nice to see all the colours in person - I always worry that what a colour looks like on screen is not what it is in reality. I found a pink shade I liked - Ladyflower, and a berry also - Venom. Bought the matching lip pencils for both. I was really disappointed in the reds though - I found that all the reds that I thought I'd like, when I tested them, ended up just another shade of pink on my skin. Weird. I ended up picking up a red from Laure Mercier - Merlot, and the Deep Wine lip pencil.
    I picked up a new mascara & two new shadows (they had a whole section of colours that were sale for $5 because they were discontinued) at another makeup salon I buy from.
    There are other areas of my makeup shelf that need a complete overhaul too, but I'm moving in two weeks so they'll have to wait a while.

20. Andora

Andora Skating season ends as baseball season begins

Agreed 100%! It's hard to find-- and seldom goes on sale-- in my area of Canada for some reason, but everything I've used is amazing. I have two different blushes of theirs, and I reach for them as regularly as my Nars Orgasm blush. Just a fantastic line.

Another great line for foundation and powder is Physician's Formula, surprisingly. They make nice blushes, too. I've only been disappointed in their eyeliners, both gel pots and an eyeliner pen I returned ages ago. I've been loving their eyeshadow lately, too. I've been obsessed with their Shimmer Strips Gel Cream eye shadows - no primer needed - for awhile. I almost wish they made more items.

21. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Oh, good lord, we're finally getting a Sephora here. Shit. :scream:

floridaice, IceAlisa, topaz and 5 others like this.
  22. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Welcome to the cult club! :cheer2:

IceAlisa, topaz and once_upon like this.
  23. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Oh, I'm already part of the club, but it was far less dangerous when I just put in an order on-line as I needed stuff. This is just too easy to stop by to browse. Gah!

once_upon and skategal like this.
  24. beepbeep

beepbeep Brazilian Eurotrash

Embace it.

once_upon and skatesindreams like this.
  25. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Anyone tried Korean skincare products?

I've ordered a couple from this site (Peach and Lily), mainly to help with clogged pores and moisturize. I don't get acne now, but still have oily skin and zillions of very visible, large, clogged pores. We'll see. I'm also trying an oil-based cleanser (DHC deep cleansing oil). I'm not ready to jump into a Korean-style 10-step skincare regime, but I like having fun trying new products.

26. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I have the same problem and discovered over christmas I had one of these lying in a draw at my parents' house. I ordered some refills and it's done miracles for my face in the space of a week. As always we'll see how long it will last, but I'm pretty wowed by the difference. I need to use a moisturiser after though because it feels a little dry.

27. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I'm staying away from more drying and abrasive exfoliators though, as I have sensitive skin and some red blotches. I think I overdid it on the Lush Angels on bare skin facial scrub for the past few months--made my oily/combination skin very dry and flaky (and even more sensitive).

This is amazing for pores, even after 1 use. Not for the faint of heart, though.

millyskate likes this.
  28. Anemone

Anemone Well-Known Member

Does anyone use any of those clarisonic systems? I've been eyeing them for a while, but they are pricey enough it isn't something one wants to buy just to "try" and the end up tossing in a drawer a week later because it is useless.

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

I love my Clarisonic but there may be less pricey options.

@topaz those are some serious lights! Like a dressing room of an actress, or a dancer, IOW, a diva!

topaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.